Sign in to follow this  
89Topps

Amir Garrett 2018 Outlook

1 minute ago, rdf8585 said:

Garrett today vs AZ: 4.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K, 1 HBP

ST: 13 IP, 2 ER, 6 H, 3 BB, 15 K

Anyone think there's anything here?

Depends on Finnegan apparently...... Might begin as the 5th starter over Cody Reed as Mahle and Romano have been rumored to make the rotation.  Still, Finnegan will be back eventually.  Personally, I think the Reds are playing with fire and Finnegan should be made into a reliever but.... yea.  

39 minutes ago, rdf8585 said:

Garrett today vs AZ: 4.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K, 1 HBP

ST: 13 IP, 2 ER, 6 H, 3 BB, 15 K

Anyone think there's anything here?

What was his velocity today? 

On 3/16/2018 at 2:18 PM, mowntineer said:

ESPN has him listed as an RP only. Is he no longer a starter?

That makes no sense.  Totally inverse of their eligibility rules.  That has to be an error, I would think.

1 hour ago, 96mnc said:

What was his velocity today? 

Game is going to be replayed at 9 a.m. ET tomorrow.   I'll tape it then.

If the fastball gains are legit, this might be something. His fastball was his downfall last year. I'm getting that tingling feeling inside my sweatpants.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, GrapeJuice said:

If the fastball gains are legit, this might be something. His fastball was his downfall last year. I'm getting that tingling feeling inside my sweatpants.

It's all about the fastball. Garrett was touching the low 90s last year, with his breaking ball and changeup being solid to plus offerings. The reports on his hip injury (I think he received a PRP injection in the offseason) and recovery are big. Question is going to be do the Reds see him as a SP or an Andrew Miller type multi-inning RP. I think at this point in his career you have to see what he can do as a SP if you're the organization, he looks like he could be an SP3 with SP2 upside if the spring gains are real. 

I tried to contact ESPN to ask why he is RP eligible only and the response I got was more or less "we don't give a crap".  :lol:

• Haha 3

Got off the really solid start, then wheels came off statistically, I didnt own him so didnt pay that close of attention as to reasoning why. He was a highly touted prospect going into last year, I think top 50 in some rankings pretty much in all top 100 lists.  The one narrative I heard a bit in a podcast was injury last year that he was pitching hurt?   Not sure I am a buyer, the situation in Cincy, the park, etc not great.  

32 minutes ago, King Felix said:

It's all about the fastball. Garrett was touching the low 90s last year, with his breaking ball and changeup being solid to plus offerings. The reports on his hip injury (I think he received a PRP injection in the offseason) and recovery are big. Question is going to be do the Reds see him as a SP or an Andrew Miller type multi-inning RP. I think at this point in his career you have to see what he can do as a SP if you're the organization, he looks like he could be an SP3 with SP2 upside if the spring gains are real. 

The hip injury was the big game changer last year and it's been said he has some hip issues earlier in his career, but he said he feels stronger than ever (what do players don't) and his base is strong, therefore you see the FB velocity up 3-4 mph.  He was working in the low 90's after the DL stint last year and he was far hittable.  As far as his role, Cincinnati really needs starting pitching.  Iglesias has already moved to the pen.  So did Cingrani before flipped.  I have a feeling Finnegan ends up there too and probably Stephenson as well if he can't clean up his control.  They need to see if  guys like Mahle, Cody Reed and Garrett can work their way into the future of their rotation.  He may start in the pen early this year (after Finnegan and DeS return), but if he's effective and healthy, then probably needs to be tried out in the rotation....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

The hip injury was the big game changer last year and it's been said he has some hip issues earlier in his career, but he said he feels stronger than ever (when do players not) and his base is strong, therefore you see the FB velocity up 3-4 mph.  He was working in the low 90's after the DL stint last year and he was far hittable.  As far as his role, Cincinnati really needs starting pitching.  Iglesias has already moved to the pen.  So did Cingrani before flipped.  I have a feeling Finnegan ends up there too and probably Stephenson as well if he can't clean up his control.  They need to see if  guys like Mahle, Cody Reed and Garrett can work their way into the future of their rotation.  He may start in the pen early this year (after Finnegan and DeS return), but if he's effective and healthy, then probably needs to be tried out in the rotation....

The smartest move for the Reds, imo, would be to flip Garrett and Finnegan as far as projected role. Finnegan was pretty electric when he came up as an RP with KC, and while I understand trying to have him start, it just seems like his health won't hold up. If Garrett can stay in the mid 90s with the fastball, that gives him a nice 3 pitch fix and a physical frame that is pretty desirable for a SP. 

10 hours ago, 89Topps said:

I tried to contact ESPN to ask why he is RP eligible only and the response I got was more or less "we don't give a crap".  :lol:

gotta stop playing fantasy baseball on ESPN man

• Like 2

12 hours ago, parrothead said:

Got off the really solid start, then wheels came off statistically, I didnt own him so didnt pay that close of attention as to reasoning why. He was a highly touted prospect going into last year, I think top 50 in some rankings pretty much in all top 100 lists.  The one narrative I heard a bit in a podcast was injury last year that he was pitching hurt?   Not sure I am a buyer, the situation in Cincy, the park, etc not great.  

He suffered through what a lot of young pitchers do and that’s command issues.  His whole life he likely has been able to elevate his fastball and get away with it.  In big leagues that type of pitching gets dismantled with ease as he found out.  There’s workable tools here, but his delivery isn’t the most repeatable which leads to a lot of balls up in zone.  With his ballpark he doesn’t have the luxury to be up often.  Unless he’s learned to keep the ball down he won’t be fantasy relevant.  I’ll keep my eyes on him early in season and see what adjustments he’s made.

Edited by Cmilne23
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, mevins31 said:

gotta stop playing fantasy baseball on ESPN man

It satisfies what we need for our league just fine.

22 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

The hip injury was the big game changer last year and it's been said he has some hip issues earlier in his career, but he said he feels stronger than ever (what do players don't) and his base is strong, therefore you see the FB velocity up 3-4 mph.  He was working in the low 90's after the DL stint last year and he was far hittable.  As far as his role, Cincinnati really needs starting pitching.  Iglesias has already moved to the pen.  So did Cingrani before flipped.  I have a feeling Finnegan ends up there too and probably Stephenson as well if he can't clean up his control.  They need to see if  guys like Mahle, Cody Reed and Garrett can work their way into the future of their rotation.  He may start in the pen early this year (after Finnegan and DeS return), but if he's effective and healthy, then probably needs to be tried out in the rotation....

Watched the start last night. 

No gun as mentioned before.  To the naked eye he was throwing harder.

The command sucked.   Had no idea where the fastball was going.   Got bailed out facing a spring training lineup.  Just chucked the ball in the general direction of home and the batters put it in play.  A more patient (mlb) lineup would likely have worked him over. 

At least two of the Ks were vs lhb (btw, Thames is helpless vs lhp).

Deep leagues I'll consider rostering late and not starting.  

Kid has a lot of talent and if he stays healthy I think he'll be really good one day.   No idea when that day is though.   He really needs to get more consistent with his command. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Thanks 96, excellent report!

Im curious to see what his release point plot looks like, because I imagine its all over the place. One of these days I'll figure out to create one.

Seems odd, the rotation beyond Castilla and perhaps Mahle is plainly awful. The guy has a shot to be a good #3 type. I could care less about the ST #s but the uptick in stuff is very real. Hopefully it is just for April and he gets a chance in the rotation soon.

For some reason Garrett is listed as RP only in ESPN leagues.  Shouldn't he also have SP eligibility based on last year? 

Could be valuable in Holds leagues as SP eligible.  

3 hours ago, HumanRainDelay 18 said:

For some reason Garrett is listed as RP only in ESPN leagues.  Shouldn't he also have SP eligibility based on last year? 

Could be valuable in Holds leagues as SP eligible.  

Already been discussed upthread.

ESPN's email response regarding Garrett being RP-only eligible this year:  

Positional eligibility for Pitchers occurs when one of the following conditions is met: 

-Pitching appearances last season: 5 starts / 8 relief 
-Pitching appearances during current season: 3 starts / 5 relief 

Garrett started 14 games last year... 

• Thanks 1

On 3/26/2018 at 9:04 AM, ST. STEVEN said:

Seems odd, the rotation beyond Castilla and perhaps Mahle is plainly awful. The guy has a shot to be a good #3 type. I could care less about the ST #s but the uptick in stuff is very real. Hopefully it is just for April and he gets a chance in the rotation soon.

I'm a big believer in Amir longterm.

I think the best way to develop him right now is via the bullpen and then moving him to the rotation later.  Ideally he'd be back in AAA working as a starter but he's out of options. 

I don't think his psyche could handle another beatdown as a starter.   And he got beat like a mule last year. 

Random comment,  it'd be great for him to be on a team with Price, CC, or even Clayton Richards to learn from and apprentice under. 

Surprised there's nothing said since the following was reported yesterday:

C. Trent Rosecrans of The Athletic believes Amir Garrett will open the season in the Reds' rotation because of Thursday's rainout against the Nationals.
The postponement will require the Reds to open with a fifth starter, as moving Opening Day from Thursday to Friday erased the team's off day. Tyler Mahle's scheduled start was already pushed back because of the schedule change. Garrett pitched well this spring and has quality stuff, but his command leaves a lot to be desired. He's not a good streaming option against the Cubs if he does get the start on Tuesday. Mar 28 - 4:28 PM

Debating grabbing him now that Rodon is on the DL. Feel like not a lot of people are thinking about Tuesday now and even for those who are, the Cubs are not an ideal opponent, so you could grab him for the lowest FAAB your league allows ($0 in mine) today.

Garrett's numbers appear solid in relief so far this year, but he's walked 4 in his last three outings (2 ip). Seems like he could be a solid option for deeper leagues with an IP cap that need a good MR or two to help with k/9 and ratios.