Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Flyman75

Jose Peraza 2018 Outlook

1 minute ago, JetsAwesome said:

time to pick him up again?

Might as well 

Last two weeks: 

12 runs, 2 HR, 8 RBI, 3 SB, batting .364 (20-for-55)

He hit leadoff last night and swiped two bases. If he sticks at leadoff, might he get more chances to run, since he won't run the risk of running into an out with Votto at the dish?

2 hours ago, mmcc1029 said:

Just hopped on this train, eff you kipnis. 

And kipnis says eff you to me....ugh lol 

57 minutes ago, mmcc1029 said:

And kipnis says eff you to me....ugh lol 

Still a good pickup.

might be someone to sell high. he has had more time in the 2 spot, but still is not walking much. he's never been one to walk much, and that inability to walk hurts the chances of SB. he has both 2B and SS eligibility and that is a plus that someone else could overpay for.

1 minute ago, SpecialFNK said:

might be someone to sell high. he has had more time in the 2 spot, but still is not walking much. he's never been one to walk much, and that inability to walk hurts the chances of SB. he has both 2B and SS eligibility and that is a plus that someone else could overpay for.

His hitting skill set seems more reminiscent of Julio Iglesias than a Kingery type.  It's hard for me to envision him holding off Senzel past mid June with a middling bat and walk rate.

Should be a good fit for any team looking for SB.  Definitely more value in AVG leagues than OBP leagues as he'll probably be a ~.310 OBP guy.  It seems they trust him enough to hit him at the top of the lineup so I don't think a Senzel call-up would necessarily ruin him.  It would seem weird to hit a guy in the 1-2 hole for weeks and then bench him outright.  Now, if he does get moved down to the lower third of the lineup then you can probably drop him.  

Senzel experiencing dizziness again. Was shut down last year due to Vertigo.

So thoughts on Peraza ROS guys ? 

I know he was hyped years past and many thought he'd deliver a decent amount of SB's. He hasn't been a SB machine but is up to 14 now so far this season which isn't bad. He's been hitting really well for quite some time, the CIN lineup is actually hitting decently these days too. Having 2B/SS/IF is handy as well. I know it's hard to say if someone is going to have their big break out year or simply in the midst of a hot stretch, but seems quite possible he could taking that next step. 

On 7/1/2018 at 4:05 PM, tonywow said:

So thoughts on Peraza ROS guys ? 

I know he was hyped years past and many thought he'd deliver a decent amount of SB's. He hasn't been a SB machine but is up to 14 now so far this season which isn't bad. He's been hitting really well for quite some time, the CIN lineup is actually hitting decently these days too. Having 2B/SS/IF is handy as well. I know it's hard to say if someone is going to have their big break out year or simply in the midst of a hot stretch, but seems quite possible he could taking that next step. 

Very enthused about Peraza myself.  Shortstop has been a black hole on my team since Seager got hurt. 

Contemplating trying to sell high though.  I get nervous relying too heavily on hitters that are below average in taking Walks.  Was Peraza a highly touted prospect?  Or was his quality 2016 unexpected?

1 hour ago, Magnus88 said:

Very enthused about Peraza myself.  Shortstop has been a black hole on my team since Seager got hurt. 

Contemplating trying to sell high though.  I get nervous relying too heavily on hitters that are below average in taking Walks.  Was Peraza a highly touted prospect?  Or was his quality 2016 unexpected?

Yes,  he was a highly touted guy. 

He was also the centerpiece of the LAD/CIN deal years ago. 

What he's on pace for thus far isn't crazy.

I think you have to check the line-up first to see where he's batting. This last six games he's batted 1st 2nd 7th 8th. If you don't use middle infielder in your league where he bats makes a big difference. 

2 and a years ago he was getting as much roughly as much attention as Trea turner was.  An “expert” actually talked me out of trea turner because he said Tim Anderson was the same thing.  Not saying Pereza is trea turner, but speed doesn’t slump. And the ceiling on sb,s isn’t 25...it’s like 60. Very High ceiling  (low floor though) extremely cheap, what’s not to like?

1 hour ago, mjuevos said:

been a non stealing machine lately

I can see the Reds being conservative on the basepaths because they have a lot riding on these games 

2 hours ago, mjuevos said:

been a non stealing machine lately

had to cut him for pitching.

Only picked him up during his hot streak for steals and runs.  He's been supplying none for past 3 weeks.  If he's not doing that - he's of little use in most leagues.

On 7/31/2018 at 8:52 AM, JetsAwesome said:

had to cut him for pitching.

Only picked him up during his hot streak for steals and runs.  He's been supplying none for past 3 weeks.  If he's not doing that - he's of little use in most leagues.

Who did you replace Peraza at Short with?  Pondering dumping Peraza for Ahmed or Munoz.  Maybe Camargo too.

rough week for sure, but i'm still baby-stepping with him overall. compared to last season, he's improved by about 30% this season (using wRC+). walks up, strikeouts down, avg/iso/obp all up. i'd like to see a little higher average (more 300 vs 280), but this is about what was expected of him.