Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Arrowhead

Max Scherzer 2018 Outlook

I really hope they give him an extended rest after the break, although based on where Washington is in the NL East standings that's going to be difficult to do. Just watching his demeanor out on the mound the last few starts he looks absolutely spent. A lot of bad locations and lazy off-speed pitches. Hoping there isn't an underlying injury he's trying to gut through.

1 hour ago, whitekenyan24 said:

I really hope they give him an extended rest after the break, although based on where Washington is in the NL East standings that's going to be difficult to do. Just watching his demeanor out on the mound the last few starts he looks absolutely spent. A lot of bad locations and lazy off-speed pitches. Hoping there isn't an underlying injury he's trying to gut through.

How does he look spent? Guy busted it down the line last night to beat out an infield single.

I said on the mound. He's always a max effort guy so I'm not surprised about him beating out an infield single, the dude's a warrior. But when he's been pitching his last few outings, he just seems a bit worn down to me. Could obviously be a mini slump and nothing more. It's an opinion and observation.

I'm thinking about acquiring this guy in a keeper league. Obviously he's still crazy dominant and shows no signs of hat changing next year. However, he' 34 with a TON of mileage on his arm, how much longer do you guys honestly expect he can keep this up? 

He should have at least a couple more elite seasons. Looking at his numbers, nothing has really declined. In fact, his K%, BB%, and HR/9 are all lower than last season. Even his SwStr% is up. 

6 hours ago, Ecofolux said:

I'm thinking about acquiring this guy in a keeper league. Obviously he's still crazy dominant and shows no signs of hat changing next year. However, he' 34 with a TON of mileage on his arm, how much longer do you guys honestly expect he can keep this up? 

Three more seasons at least

Looks like Scherzer is scheduled to pitch on Sunday, which would be four days rest. Could have really used two starts from Mad Max next week.

18 hours ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Looks like Scherzer is scheduled to pitch on Sunday, which would be four days rest. Could have really used two starts from Mad Max next week.

Same here. But anytime you have Max for a two start week it’s a good thing. 

16 minutes ago, ff062018 said:

Is there any chance he’ll play again after tonight (through Sunday)? Or can I drop him?

I think this is his last start. He should be a safe drop but I fear ESPN won't lift his undroppable status.

What a show Max put on this season.  And with no October baseball to worry about, he'll be nice and rested heading into 2019.

He is lined up to start Sunday at Coors. This is news to me. Now, I have a tough decision to make with my limited starts left. Will Scherzer pitch? If so, will he pitch well at Mile High? He owns a career 5.88 ERA in 5 tries at Coors but hasn't pitched there much since becoming a perennial Cy Young pitcher. So his Coors figures may be misleading to an extent. 

Scherzer just had his best season at age 34. Looking at his velocity, hard%, and pitch values, it is clear that he is not declining yet. He should be the first pitcher off the board next season in all redraft leagues. 

According to a Nats beat writer Scherzer is indeed scheduled to start on Sunday but it's up to him if he wants to pitch or not. 

9 hours ago, Sine_cera said:

According to a Nats beat writer Scherzer is indeed scheduled to start on Sunday but it's up to him if he wants to pitch or not. 

I bet he does. Max is an absolute gamer. Perhaps a limited innings start. 

2 hours ago, kwolf68 said:

Perhaps a limited innings start. 

Nah.  CGSO with 0 Ks, because (a) he wants to keep his pitch count down, (b) he wants to stay on a nice round number for the season, and (c) just to show he can do it.

i think im giving him the cy young over Degrom.  although i do feel so bad for degrom lol

7 hours ago, kwolf68 said:

I bet he does. Max is an absolute gamer. Perhaps a limited innings start. 

He might face a Rockies team resting all it's starters. He could go 9 innings even with a pitch count lol.

I wouldn't be surprised if he gives it a go. He wants to win that CY Young.

2 hours ago, Sine_cera said:

He might face a Rockies team resting all it's starters. He could go 9 innings even with a pitch count lol.

I wouldn't be surprised if he gives it a go. He wants to win that CY Young.

deGrom should have CY locked.    Still give it a go

Tomorrow's game is going to be very important to the Rockies so I'm assuming he's going to start. He wants to start.

LAA announcers just said max wont start

max career at coors 5 starts 0-3 5.88 era 1.65 whip

boy I need anything other than a sub 2.72 era start