Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Willsea33

Khris Davis 2018 Outlook

KD is a perfect example of "being protected". When you have Paul Bunyon hitting behind you, it stands to reason pitchers are going to go after you. KD and Olson back to back is really kind frightening. 

5 minutes ago, kwolf68 said:

KD is a perfect example of "being protected". When you have Paul Bunyon hitting behind you, it stands to reason pitchers are going to go after you. KD and Olson back to back is really kind frightening. 

Sure, but he's also been the most consistent home run hitter in baseball the last 3-4 years so let's not go saying its because of his protection. Wont find a more consistent power bat. 

1 minute ago, SkinsNoles21 said:

Sure, but he's also been the most consistent home run hitter in baseball the last 3-4 years so let's not go saying its because of his protection. Wont find a more consistent power bat. 

Most consistent is definitely right. How is he so underrated?

Just now, SkinsNoles21 said:

My point wasn't to say he's the product of a good power bat behind him, just wonder what things would look like if you swapped them in the lineup (maybe Davis is still where he is, maybe Olson has more? Or maybe nothing is different). Oakland is having a great season, no need to mess with it and yes Davis has been a stud for a few years. 

1 minute ago, kwolf68 said:

My point wasn't to say he's the product of a good power bat behind him, just wonder what things would look like if you swapped them in the lineup (maybe Davis is still where he is, maybe Olson has more? Or maybe nothing is different). Oakland is having a great season, no need to mess with it and yes Davis has been a stud for a few years. 

I think his point is even if you swapped the two, Khris Davis would still do what he has done the last two seasons - hit 40 HRs.

Just now, UberRebel said:

I think his point is even if you swapped the two, Khris Davis would still do what he has done the last two seasons - hit 40 HRs.

Most assuredly, but would Olson's power numbers be up? 

Maybe he'll slow up, but his current HR rate and RBI rate are improvements over any of his other seasons. His current HR-RBI pace over 150 games is 47-129. 

Even more impressive when you consider the size differences, listed on Baseball Reference. 

Mark McGwire...6'5" 215 (dude was bigger than 215, lol). 

Jose Canseco...6'4" 240.

Jason Giambi...6'3" 240. 

Khris Davis...5'10 195. 

He is making a legit case for AL MVP,  especially since he is leading the surprise team of the season.

I so have a man khrush on this dude...and I don't care who knows. Lol. 

10 hours ago, Picard56 said:

He is making a legit case for AL MVP,  especially since he is leading the surprise team of the season.

Definitely is MVP.  And if not league MVP he’s fantasy mvp.  Carrying teams when we need him most.  

Love the guy, but I don't see him as a legit MVP candidate. JoRam, Betts, and JDM would be my leaders. And as much as I love Davis, the likelihood of his BA staying above .260 is remote. He's on a torrid streak, but he's pretty streaky at times. He's just as likely to have a mind-numbing slump before the season ends. 

9 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Love the guy, but I don't see him as a legit MVP candidate. JoRam, Betts, and JDM would be my leaders. And as much as I love Davis, the likelihood of his BA staying above .260 is remote. He's on a torrid streak, but he's pretty streaky at times. He's just as likely to have a mind-numbing slump before the season ends. 

this

betts, joram, jdm, lindor, trout are all ahead of him imo....and im a davis owner in a few leagues.

*WAR isn’t everything qualifier as an “of course,” but...

-28th in fWAR in the AL

-4th on his own team in fWAR

-JRam and Mookie are having all-time great seasons, JRam potentially having the greatest season for a 3B ever. 

I like KD a lot, but you’re letting your fantasy man crush cloud reality. Very possible he could slip into the top 10, maybe even 6ish. But he is not making a “legit case for AL MVP.” 

Over the last month, he's hitting .311-19-15-35-0 in 26 games...that is ridiculous, lol. That's full-season pace for 90 HR and 210 RBI. So yeah, he's going to slow the pace down, and when he does, all the MVP talk will end. 

And again...love Davis. I have a man crush on him, LOL. 

46 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

*WAR isn’t everything qualifier as an “of course,” but...

-28th in fWAR in the AL

-4th on his own team in fWAR

-JRam and Mookie are having all-time great seasons, JRam potentially having the greatest season for a 3B ever. 

I like KD a lot, but you’re letting your fantasy man crush cloud reality. Very possible he could slip into the top 10, maybe even 6ish. But he is not making a “legit case for AL MVP.” 

WAR is not everything. My point is that he is making a legit case for MVP. He is on pace for roughly 49 homers and already has over 100 rbi. Take his bat out of that lineup, and would the A's still be in the pennant chase? I would guess not.

This guy is a Super star.  Stuck in OAK.  If this dude was in Boston, NY, CHI, or any decent market team the whole world would know about him.  On track for 50 hrs...career year.

28 minutes ago, Picard56 said:

WAR is not everything. My point is that he is making a legit case for MVP. He is on pace for roughly 49 homers and already has over 100 rbi. Take his bat out of that lineup, and would the A's still be in the pennant chase? I would guess not.

Take out Trout and where are the Angels?

Mookie and JRam (and Lindor, & JD, etc.), despite being better players, are punished in your voting because they happen to have better teammates. Got it.

In general, that’s not how the voting will go.

1 hour ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Take out Trout and where are the Angels?

Mookie and JRam (and Lindor, & JD, etc.), despite being better players, are punished in your voting because they happen to have better teammates. Got it.

In general, that’s not how the voting will go.

The angels aren't even in contention this year and he's been injure, so he's not going to win the MVP this year. I'm not punishing Betts and Ramirez, because I know it's unlikely that davis gets the MVP, but I am making the argument that he could be considered the MVP. I actually would give Just Dongs Martinez the MVP because he is putting up huge numbers and elivated Boston to new heights this year.