colepenhagen

Robinson Cano 2018 Outlook

Just now, Pitches Love Velocity said:

The question now is, does he get to keep the DL tag or will he get hit with the dreaded SUSP label in fantasy?

For fantasy owners that is the question.  Will Yahoo say "accept" the Mariners transferring him to the 60 Day DL or will they slap the SUSPENDED tag on him as soon as the 10 Day DL is up? 

It would be kind of unfair other players take up an active roster spot and Cano can hide out on the DL.  But hey maybe legal loopholes apply to Yahoo's designations too.

Let’s also remember the Yankees thought Melky Cabrera was a bad influence on Cano, Melky also got popped for peds. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

For fantasy owners that is the question.  Will Yahoo say "accept" the Mariners transferring him to the 60 Day DL or will they slap the SUSPENDED tag on him as soon as the 10 Day DL is up? 

It would be kind of unfair other players take up an active roster spot and Cano can hide out on the DL.  But hey maybe legal loopholes apply to Yahoo's designations too.

I mean at this point you can pretty much dump him

10 minutes ago, Pitches Love Velocity said:

The question now is, does he get to keep the DL tag or will he get hit with the dreaded SUSP label in fantasy?

Hopefully since he was supposed to be gone a number of weeks, he does not get put onto "SUSP' immediately.  If the team activates him after the 10 days, I would think he would lose the DL eligibility.

Timing on this is very suspect to me. Do the 30-odd games he'll miss while on DL for his broken hand count against the PED suspension? How'd they find this diuretic (used to flush out other PEDs he was doing) i wonder? Was it a random or did they find it doing tests for his hand? Why test blood/urine for a broken hand? 

The timing is all very suspicious.

Now he’ll miss the Mariners World Series run.  Dammit.  

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, SmallBallz said:

Timing on this is very suspect to me. Do the 30-odd games he'll miss while on DL for his broken hand count against the PED suspension? How'd they find this diuretic (used to flush out other PEDs he was doing) i wonder? Was it a random or did they find it doing tests for his hand? Why test blood/urine for a broken hand? 

The timing is all very suspicious.

Why is it that suspicious? He got hurt, and since he had nothing to do got tested. Could happen to anyone 

He's suspended 80 games.  Easy drop here.  

Sad that this guy looked to be destined for the HOF.  Once one of my favorite players but now tarnished his legacy.

My immediate reaction is "disgrace" but then I have to wonder how many are doing it.  How many are getting away with it.  I know there are a lot.

2 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

He's suspended 80 games.  Easy drop here.  

Sad that this guy looked to be destined for the HOF.  Once one of my favorite players but now tarnished his legacy.

My immediate reaction is "disgrace" but then I have to wonder how many are doing it.  How many are getting away with it.  I know there are a lot.

Easy drop IF he loses his DL tag

8 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

Why is it that suspicious? He got hurt, and since he had nothing to do got tested. Could happen to anyone 

Does time on DL count toward suspensions I guess is my question. If he can sit on the DL for 6-8 weeks and have those games missed count toward his 80 game suspension then yea, that's suspicious to me that he's just now getting the suspension....all me a conspiracy theorist but could be the team/MLB was aware of his use & never 'randomed' him or he got clipped & they didn't announce it till he got his hand broken. Maybe it's just that there has never been a significant injury IMMEDIATELY followed by a suspension for PED's. 

This doesn't raise any red flags for anyone at all?

Do games on DL count toward PED suspension games?

1 minute ago, SmallBallz said:

Does time on DL count toward suspensions I guess is my question. If he can sit on the DL for 6-8 weeks and have those games missed count toward his 80 game suspension then yea, that's suspicious to me that he's just now getting the suspension....all me a conspiracy theorist but could be the team/MLB was aware of his use & never 'randomed' him or he got clipped & they didn't announce it till he got his hand broken. Maybe it's just that there has never been a significant injury IMMEDIATELY followed by a suspension for PED's. 

Yea they count  go back a page and it was discussed

Edited by kmoore1521
  • Like 1

Are there any examples of guys coming back from PED suspensions and immediately performing well?  Based off of my foggy memory, it seems like they struggle when they initially come back and then the next year they do ok.

5 minutes ago, SmallBallz said:

Players can appeal and fight it.  It is kept confidential while that is going on.

The team is not notified of the failed test until the appeal is heard either and that can take awhile.

My guess is that he got popped awhile ago and was fighting it, but now that he's out with the injury, he dropped the appeal.  It's convenient for him as he wasn't going to be playing anyway, but I don't think it is a conspiracy by MLB or the Mariners here.  More of random convenience that he was going to miss significant time with injury and decided to drop the appeal.

*I don't know for sure whether any of this happened.  Just laying the scenario out there as being a likely one.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Bill Blazejowski said:

Are there any examples of guys coming back from PED suspensions and immediately performing well?  Based off of my foggy memory, it seems like they struggle when they initially come back and then the next year they do ok.

I remember when Dee Gordon came back he produced some decent statistics that same season. Off from his normal production, but still solid. 

More recently, Marte came back from his, and was seemingly lost the rest of the season. 

TL;DR = It's a crapshoot. 

1 minute ago, The Czar said:

Players can appeal and fight it.  It is kept confidential while that is going on.

The team is not notified of the failed test until the appeal is heard either and that can take awhile.

My guess is that he got popped awhile ago and was fighting it, but now that he's out with the injury, he dropped the appeal.  It's convenient for him as he wasn't going to be playing anyway, but I don't think it is a conspiracy by MLB or the Mariners here.  More of random convenience that he was going to miss significant time with injury and decided to drop the appeal.

*I don't know for sure whether any of this happened.  Just laying the scenario out there as being a likely one.

Now this sounds plausible to me....much more so than he breaks his hand & happens to fail a random a day or two after. 

His power has been down. 

These seem like Performance Decreasing Drugs. 

4 minutes ago, id10t said:

His power has been down. 

These seem like Performance Decreasing Drugs. 

He’s played in 150 plus games every year of his career. Players also take ped’s to stay on the field and have a quick recovery from injury. 

Edited by chud12
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, chud12 said:

He’s played in 150 plus games every year of his career. Players also take ped’s to stay on the field and have a quick recovery from injury. 

Common misconception with PEDs.  People think it’s the magic potion to produce.  More guys take it to stay durable and recover quickly, than needing to aid any sort of ability.  Cano could roll out of bed and hit .300.  But Father Time was taking its toll.  He limped through last year with ailments.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, The Czar said:

100% agree with this. I don’t think MLB would risk the possible PR nightmare that they would get to do the Mariners and/or Cano any favors here.

1 hour ago, Cmilne23 said:

Now he’ll miss the Mariners World Series run.  Dammit.  

Glad to see your are alive and have a sense of humor about this.  I was worried we'd have to put you on a suicide watch, haha.

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Bill Blazejowski said:

Nelson Cruz got better.  The PED's were holding him back.

TJ Quinn from ESPN did a nice bit of...investigative twitter reporting on the matter. His commentary on Cano's statement:

IMPORTANT ON CANO: players are NOT automatically suspended for using diuretics. The suspension means MLB was able to prove he was using it to mask a drug. Cano tested positive before the season, appealed and dropped the appeal.

I don’t know what the original drug was and the source I spoke to said MLB doesn’t, either. Not sure how they proved intent, but evidently they proved it well enough to convince Cano to drop his appeal.

Cano says he took it from a doctor and didn’t realize what it was. But drug policy says MLB has to prove intent to mask, which they apparently did. The statement doesn’t hold up to much scrutiny.

If this is all true, I'm sure the recovery time he was already going to need for his hand played a part in his decision making process.

• Like 1