colepenhagen

Robinson Cano 2018 Outlook

Steroids are usually a step ahead of testing.  Masking agents usually are what lags behind.  

17 minutes ago, bank said:

TJ Quinn from ESPN did a nice bit of...investigative twitter reporting on the matter. His commentary on Cano's statement:

IMPORTANT ON CANO: players are NOT automatically suspended for using diuretics. The suspension means MLB was able to prove he was using it to mask a drug. Cano tested positive before the season, appealed and dropped the appeal.

I don’t know what the original drug was and the source I spoke to said MLB doesn’t, either. Not sure how they proved intent, but evidently they proved it well enough to convince Cano to drop his appeal.

Cano says he took it from a doctor and didn’t realize what it was. But drug policy says MLB has to prove intent to mask, which they apparently did. The statement doesn’t hold up to much scrutiny.

If this is all true, I'm sure the recovery time he was already going to need for his hand played a part in his decision making process.

I believe this, makes a lot a lot of sense.

Recovery time played a part? You think, well, guess you're right, no PED's for the broke hand recovery since he was recently busted. I mean, hand heals, gets back in the gym to build back strength in hand, strength comes back in weeks instead of months. PED's that's where the magic potion is, IMO, the ability of breaking muscle down, muscles recover faster, come back bigger, which then means more strength (in many situations can be in in weeks instead of months).  This can be incredible strength, or enough it is very noticeable to the user.  In this particular situation, recovery of the broke hand one would benefit much more being on PED's then not.  Of course there are many PED's that won't cause a huge bulk and the gain of muscle isn't very noticeable, and the objective may not be to get a lot bigger, but to recover faster from inury, or just to feel good, instead of feeling totally worn down etc... 

2 minutes ago, Z06vette said:

I believe this, makes a lot a lot of sense.

Recovery time played a part? You think, well, guess you're right, no PED's for the broke hand recovery since he was recently busted. I mean, hand heals, gets back in the gym to build back strength in hand, strength comes back in weeks instead of months. PED's that's where the magic potion is, IMO, the ability of breaking muscle down, muscles recover faster, come back bigger, which then means more strength (in many situations can be in in weeks instead of months).  This can be incredible strength, or enough it is very noticeable to the user.  In this particular situation, recovery of the broke hand one would benefit much more being on PED's then not.  Of course there are many PED's that won't cause a huge bulk and the gain of muscle isn't very noticeable, and the objective may not be to get a lot bigger, but to recover faster from inury, or just to feel good, instead of feeling totally worn down etc... 

Cano flunked the test in the offseason and dropped his appeal just today. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, parrothead said:

Doesnt make a lot of sense, he is signed for 5 more years for big money.  At which point he will be 40.  So...

1. He truly didnt know what it was and made mistake

2. He has been on this stuff probably most of career and been masking it to perform, even if he is already paid

3. He is really on decline and thinks he need it just to get on the field and fulfill the contract

I've always believed that if a player gets popped for PEDs the team should have the option of voiding the rest of their contract. 

OR

If a player gets popped for PEDs their contract voids and their service time clock restarts from the beginning.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, chud12 said:

Cano flunked the test in the offseason and dropped his appeal just today. 

I realize that. What are you getting at? I mean no disrespect.   

16 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

I've always believed that if a player gets popped for PEDs the team should have the option of voiding the rest of their contract. 

My turn to be all conspiracy theorist:

I've thought this as well, but you are dealing with millions of dollars here and I wouldn't put it past teams to figure out a way to get a player to test positive that was sunk cost on a roster.  Some of those owners are pretty shady guys as well. 

If you could simply void a contract with a positive test, it might be a pretty sad frame job if an older veteran was framed like that into a false positive and then dropped from the roster and had his contract voided.  Also why the players' union would never agree to that.

Also, there is the situation of a legit misunderstanding or taking something on accident.  Yeah, we all know that these guys never know what is on the banned list, but hypothetically, what if a guy did take something by accident or maybe something he was legitimately taking that was legal was tainted with something else because a lab screwed up.  Yes, far fetched, but you never know.

Part of why these players appeal is that there are stories out there of players beating the positive tests.  We have never been given names, but guys have reportedly won on appeal.  That is why the Braun situation was crazy.  His name was leaked when he was on appeal and everything about that was bad from him going after the courier, to the media leaks, etc.  If Braun's case had not been leaked to Outside the Lines, he might have beaten it on appeal because there was so much that was botched with his testing. 

Edited by The Czar
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

Steroids are usually a step ahead of testing.  Masking agents usually are what lags behind.  

Not trying to be rude, but then why take masking agents at all?

3 minutes ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

Anyone do the math as to the date he will be eligible to return?

3 months = 90 days

Mid August.

He will have roughly 40 games left.

Edited by The Czar

Lol, dude is built like a brick house.  I doubt anyone can really be that surprised.  Suck for M's and their fan's though.  

8 minutes ago, Jyeatbvg said:

Not trying to be rude, but then why take masking agents at all?

Side affects.  Guys who cycle often have issues with sexual performance, breast enlargement etc off cycle.  So they use anti estrogen/masking agents etc which is what guys like Manny Ramirez etc have been busted for.  It’s usually what they take after that gets them.  

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, The Czar said:

My turn to be all conspiracy theorist:

I've thought this as well, but you are dealing with millions of dollars here and I wouldn't put it past teams to figure out a way to get a player to test positive that was sunk cost on a roster.  Some of those owners are pretty shady guys as well. 

If you could simply void a contract with a positive test, it might be a pretty sad frame job if an older veteran was framed like that into a false positive and then dropped from the roster and had his contract voided.  Also why the players' union would never agree to that.

Also, there is the situation of a legit misunderstanding or taking something on accident.  Yeah, we all know that these guys never know what is on the banned list, but hypothetically, what if a guy did take something by accident or maybe something he was legitimately taking that was legal was tainted with something else because a lab screwed up.  Yes, far fetched, but you never know.

Part of why these players appeal is that there are stories out there of players beating the positive tests.  We have never been given names, but guys have reportedly won on appeal.  That is why the Braun situation was crazy.  His name was leaked when he was on appeal and everything about that was bad from him going after the courier, to the media leaks, etc.  If Braun's case had not been leaked to Outside the Lines, he might have beaten it on appeal because there was so much that was botched with his testing. 

If an owner or team went out of their way to falsify a drug test I'd hope the truth would come out and that the offending party would face serious jail time. 

As for players accidentally taking something...I really have a hard time accepting that excuse these days.   

Regardless,  it's a moot point because it'll never happen.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

Anyone do the math as to the date he will be eligible to return?

8/14

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Verlander threw some shade at Cano on Twitter.

He probably posed at the "Dr." in the DR who gave Cano the drugs. 

18 minutes ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Verlander threw some shade at Cano on Twitter.

what he say

44 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

Feels like the perfect prequel to Verly being popped for PEDs in a year or so.

That would be the greatest thing since the Ryan Braun denial. 

• Like 1

He is a straight drop. The only thing that could save him to remain on your roster is the fact he was placed on DL right before suspension so if you really have noone to DL then you can hold on to him until then.

Edited by DJSatane
  • Like 1

DL changed to suspension but I’m making moves while he’s in my DL slot and yahoo not bothering me. Is he stil DL eligible? 

3 minutes ago, Folarin said:

DL changed to suspension but I’m making moves while he’s in my DL slot and yahoo not bothering me. Is he stil DL eligible? 

I want to know the same thing.  He's on the DL, how they can arbitrarily change it to "Susp"?  He was placed on the DL and had surgery.  It says he is not DL eligible for next week.

Edited by BigPapi44

15 minutes ago, Folarin said:

they could probably change it to Suspended and then he would have to come off your DL as if he's an active player