smeeze

Joe Mixon 2018 Outlook

Just now, hangin n wangin said:

Because the people saying this kind of stuff don't have Bernard lol simple as that.

Hoping for a prayer. 

lol god bless em' then. Walton was horrid during the preseason. Shouldv'e been cut to keep Brian Hill, but I guess being a 4th round rb gives you some leeway 

• Like 1

Just now, Woonga24 said:

No way 2 weeks lol

Don’t own Mixon, picked up Bernard so I’m coming from a biased perspective here. That being said, when’s the last time a running back returned from any sort of knee surgery in two weeks? Seems like a pretty tall order.

7 minutes ago, Joeklebba said:

Don’t own Mixon, picked up Bernard so I’m coming from a biased perspective here. That being said, when’s the last time a running back returned from any sort of knee surgery in two weeks? Seems like a pretty tall order.

Maybe he’s got Russell Westbrook blood in him. 

15 minutes ago, Joeklebba said:

It's arthroscopic surgery. Recovery for normal people is 4-6 weeks - depending on what they find inside. I had it twice and the second time it was more like 3 months (but that was a big one).

Edited by Boudewijn

37 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

Yea...the people who missed out on Bernard.

The way I look at it is ask yourself this. Would you feel comfortable starting Walton as early as next game? I sure as hell wouldn't. 

Would you feel comfortable starting Bernard? Personally, I feel that's a lot safer and I would...and am going to do it.. He's experienced, still relatively young, and has filled in for Mixon before.

i'd disagree, it is a crap shoot right now on who is going to replace Mixon, CIN already knows what they have in Bernard, they know the type of runner that he is, he won't be anything spectacular but he will be steady.  for next week the floor play is definitely Bernard, and Walton is the stash, but it certainly isn't like Bernard is light ahead and has the job locked up over Walton,  because if Bernard were that type of running back, neither Hill nor Mixon would have been taking carries away from Bernard the last few years because CIN wouldn't have even bothered drafting them in the first place

2 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

It's arthroscopic surgery. Recovery for normal people is 4-6 weeks - depending on what they find inside. I had it twice and the second time it was more like 3 months (but that was a big one).

Yes, but this is a little different of a situation.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/fantasy-football-joe-mixons-knee-surgery-makes-giovani-bernard-a-must-add-player/

I reached out to Dr. Brandon Bowers of Sportsline who had this to say:

"Knee scopes are usually designed to "clean up" cartilage damage. In Mixon's case, he is having the loose body removed. Loose bodies can impede motion, strength and cause pain. This is a better case scenario than a cartilage cleanup."

1 minute ago, Panthor said:

i'd disagree, it is a crap shoot right now on who is going to replace Mixon, CIN already knows what they have in Bernard, they know the type of runner that he is, he won't be anything spectacular but he will be steady.  for next week the floor play is definitely Bernard, and Walton is the stash, but it certainly isn't like Bernard is light ahead and has the job locked up over Walton,  because if Bernard were that type of running back, neither Hill nor Mixon would have been taking carries away from Bernard the last few years because CIN wouldn't have even bothered drafting them in the first place

It's definitely not a crap shoot.

Let me ask you this....

Do you have Bernard or does someone else in your league have him?

• Like 2

Two weeks is almost as bad as the Aaron Judge timeframe. I don't know why teams overpromise with this stuff. I'll also never understand why people don't handcuff their RBs (when there's a clear handcuff). I'm gonna own a 5th WR I'll never play over a guy who is a high-end RB2 in PPR? If you own Mixon and Gio you don't skip a beat with this news.

7 minutes ago, CABLE87 said:

I feel your pain, i felt like it was going to bite me but i got chris carson i suppose lol 

Gio isnt very good, hes going to split work with someone guaranteed 

...oh my god. Again with this guy. 

Gio averaged 4.4 yards behind the worst line in the league last year. Mixon averaged 3.5 or 3.6. Look at his career numbers. Blasphemy. gio is F I N E

Screenshot (16863).png

1 minute ago, Chippa said:

...oh my god. Again with this guy. 

Gio averaged 4.4 yards behind the worst line in the league last year. Mixon averaged 3.5 or 3.6. Look at his career numbers. Blasphemy. gio is F I N E

Screenshot (16863).png

Yea...I was going to comment on it, but just felt it wasn't even worth my time.

We will see what happens next week. I've never owned Gio or even been a big fan of his, but he's the guy to own here and he's done a solid job when he has to take over due to others getting injured.

Edited by hangin n wangin

5 minutes ago, BGDDYKWL said:

Two weeks is almost as bad as the Aaron Judge timeframe. I don't know why teams overpromise with this stuff. I'll also never understand why people don't handcuff their RBs (when there's a clear handcuff). I'm gonna own a 5th WR I'll never play over a guy who is a high-end RB2 in PPR? If you own Mixon and Gio you don't skip a beat with this news.

I own both but I have to disagree. Bernard should be a serviceable RB2 until Mixon returns but he just doesnt have Mixon's upside. Plus I could it being closer to a 50-50 split when Mixon comes back.

Joe Mixon to have minor scope this weekend to remove a small particle from his knee. Generally a 2 week recovery depending on healing of incision. Will definitely miss one game I'm told. Looks like a player about to breakout in a major way

— Jason La Canfora (@JasonLaCanfora) September 14, 2018

4 minutes ago, Evincar said:

I own both but I have to disagree. Bernard should be a serviceable RB2 until Mixon returns but he just doesnt have Mixon's upside.

Plus I could it being closer to a 50-50 split when Mixon comes back.

The first bold part is obviously true.

I thought about what you wrote in the second bolded part, and I'm a little worried about that as well. I could see Bernard taking more carries when Nixon comes back. But who knows, the surgery is considered minor, so we will see what happens. IMO it definitely won't be 50/50 though if Mixon comes back, but I can invision a scenario where Bernard gets more reps than he has in the first two games.. 

22 minutes ago, BGDDYKWL said:

I'll also never understand why people don't handcuff their RBs (when there's a clear handcuff).

Because cuffing your own RB's is the low upside, scared, playing-to-not-lose, mentality. Early in the season you really want to cuff the best possible handcuffs for other owner's RB's, so that when one of them hits you're gaining an edge and coming out ahead, rather than just treading water with a mediocre handcuff like Gio.

But if your goal is just to simply eek into the playoffs, then sure, go ahead and and draft the handcuff for guys you own like Mixon. 

Edited by cs3
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, cs3 said:

Because cuffing your own RB's is the low upside, scared, playing-to-not-lose, mentality. You really want to cuff the best possible handcuffs for other owner's RB's, so that when one of them hits you're gaining an edge and coming out ahead, rather than just treading water with a mediocre handcuff like Gio.

But if your goal is just to simply eek into the playoffs, then sure, go ahead and and draft the handcuff for guys you own like Mixon. 

Sometimes treading water is what you need until your star guy gets back though. Someone like Bernard (who's proven to give solid RB2 value when he takes over for Mixon) will get you points, simple as that. May not be Mixon points, but still valuable.

If you're handcuffing other owner's players, you're possibly just wasting a roster spot on someone who most likely won't even get the chance anyway.

• Like 1

Just now, hangin n wangin said:

If you're handcuffing other owner's players, you're possibly just wasting a roster spot on someone who most likely won't even get the chance anyway.

Ya, and exactly the same thing can happen when you roster your own handcuffs, but you dont gain any upside whatsoever. Like I said, playing it safe, vs playing to win.

• Like 1

Just now, cs3 said:

Ya, and exactly the same thing can happen when you roster your own handcuffs, but you dont gain any upside whatsoever. Like I said, playing it safe, vs playing to win.

To each their own. I'm glad I have Bernard right now.

2 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

That could be said for any handcuff even if it's your handcuff.  I'd rather have drafted James Conner in the late rounds than Gio any day even though I owned Mixon (which by the way is exactly what happened).  I mean if you're going to draft guys who are unlikely to play unless there's any injury or in Conner's case a holdout, you might as well have the guys who will be star players instead of someone who has proven to be very mediocre over their career. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, wahl35 said:

Joe Mixon to have minor scope this weekend to remove a small particle from his knee. Generally a 2 week recovery depending on healing of incision. Will definitely miss one game I'm told. Looks like a player about to breakout in a major way

— Jason La Canfora (@JasonLaCanfora) September 14, 2018

I have no clue how accurate this tweet is, but it makes like sound like this knee surgery is just a bit more complicated than popping a zit.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Joeklebba said:

I have no clue how accurate this tweet is, but it makes like sound like this knee surgery is just a bit more complicated than popping a zit.

What’s the recovery time on a popped zit?

• Haha 1

I had a similar procedure done back when I used to play soccer. I had a small piece of cartilage floating around in my knee that was bothering me. I remember after the scope and removal was done, I was back on the field in just over 3 weeks. At the time I was in my early 30's, so I could see the possibility of Mixon just sitting out a couple games

A knee scope is normally 4 - 6 weeks...

2 weeks seems generous...

I don’t think the Bengals would rush Mixon back, as long as Gio is healthy and they’re winning games.

I’d think the Bengals are thinking Playoffs, so I’d think they’d want to avoid aggravating it.  Then again, it might be more of a pain management issue...