smeeze

Joe Mixon 2018 Outlook

10 minutes ago, devaster said:

Better off drafting a Barber, Adrian Peterson, or any of the GB backs than handcuffing Mixon. And Mixon's injury is only for several weeks assuming there are no setbacks.

That depends on your roster. If I had Mixon and Gio I would be playing Gio this week. I wouldn't start Barber, Peterson, or Williams over Gio, even in standard. That said, as the poster above noted, it depends on your evaluation of the running game in question. How good/how clear the cuff is also matters and I would say also the investment in the starting RB is a key factor as well. Mixon going down as a second or third round pick isn't the same as losing a first round RB.

Gio has proven to be valuable when given a lead role. The same can't be said about some other cuffs. For example, drafting Tolbert behind McCoy last year would have been useless since even if Tolbert started he would not have been a good option (more like a weak RB3).  Gore this year for Drake is another example of a cuff who would be weak as a starter.

Edited by Ace_King
  • Like 1

Mark this post:  Mixon will break your heart if you are hoping that he'll return to RB2 status. Just my opinion.

He's having knee surgery. He may be back in 1-2 weeks, but that's too soon for a full recovery, which means he'll be hurt again by mid season.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, bsong71 said:

Mark this post:  Mixon will break your heart if you are hoping that he'll return to RB2 status. Just my opinion.

He's having knee surgery. He may be back in 1-2 weeks, but that's too soon for a full recovery, which means he'll be hurt again by mid season.

Yea I'm expecting RB1 status as he was. Since the wasn't any ligament or tissue damage.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Evincar said:

EJ Manuel had something similar and returned 3 weeks later to face New England in Week 1.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2013/9/1/4682160/ej-manuel-injury-update-bills-qb-had-meniscus-surgery

I think Rivers or another QB came back after 1 week or something in the playoffs but it seems different with a QB

3 minutes ago, Chwf3rd said:

I think Rivers or another QB came back after 1 week or something in the playoffs but it seems different with a QB

Yup good thing EJ Manual had meniscus surgery and Mixon isnt .

17 minutes ago, Chwf3rd said:

Not even close to similar. Rivers tore his ACL and played on it in a playoff game. He wasn't that effective.

4 hours ago, rotodr said:

Anyone thinking Mixon is just gonna roll back into town in 2-3 weeks and back to 20-25 touches is naive, dumb, or tipsy 

4 hours ago, Josh GODon said:

...or a doctor.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Chwf3rd said:

Really don't get people downplaying Gio so much and calling him a RB3 without Mixon.

2017 Games w/ Over 10 Carries

13/77, 2/19

11/62, 6/68

14/30/1, 3/13

23/116/1, 7/52

10/52, 6/18

Looks like a high end RB2 to me and the offense is better this year.

I think they might be on some bath salts. Either way, it’s entertaining.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, bsong71 said:

You really have no idea what you’re talking about though. The recovery time is based on the incision healing, not a tendon, ligament, bone, etc...

• Like 4

6 hours ago, bsong71 said:

That’s just stupid.  This injury is not based on ligaments healing.  A very minor piece of his bone chipped.  They will remove it and shave his bone done if necessary.  The healing process is based off the incision.  It’s not like he can further injury it and make it worse.  He can obviously suffer a different injury but this is not the type of injury he could make worse.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, smeeze said:

You really have no idea what you’re talking about though. The recovery time is based on the incision healing, not a tendon, ligament, bone, etc...

The incision from arthroscopic surgery heals in a few days.  With sutures someone could play right away.  It's the internals that need to heal.

• Like 2

Holy crap, a lot of garbage being posted in here.

This was almost certainly a meniscus clean up. Meniscus is just the padding between the bones of the knee joint. The loose particle was likely one end that came loose and was getting in the way of knee cap movement. When you have a meniscus scope repair, they can repair it or simply snip out the damaged portion. If he surgically repaired it, it'd be an 8+ week timetable. Since the time table is 2-4 weeks, that means he simply had a portion snipped out. Recovery time for the knee joint is pretty much zero in that case. You're good to go as soon as the piece is gone and not impeding movement anymore. You just need to let the little incisions heal.

I've been there, made the decision to repair it, tore it again after about 7 weeks of being in a leg brace and had them snip it because I didn't want another 8 weeks in the brace. I was fine the next day. Trade off is higher probably of arthritis in older age.

I'm also saying this as a Benard owner; so as much as I wish he was out a long time, it ain't happening.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, smeeze said:

Pot meet kettle.  Unless youre a Dr. who does knee scopes, of course ;)

17 minutes ago, Funkenstein said:

Pot meet kettle.  Unless youre a Dr. who does knee scopes, of course ;)

What part of my post was incorrect?

18 minutes ago, Folarin said:

Anyone selling Mixon? If so, what would you look for? His value is weird now.

I'd like to know as well because I'm looking to buy. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Folarin said:

Anyone selling Mixon? If so, what would you look for? His value is weird now.

You really shouldn’t be...but if someone wanted to offer Ajayi plus Sanders...for example I’d entertain.  

• Like 1

Initially I was bum washed to hear this news, but after doing more research on the procedure, I'm confident he will only miss 1-2 games maximum.  

I am not worried about him being out long but will his effectiveness be back to normal when he returns? Or will he be impaired for a few weeks? If the former he looks to be a good buy low.

I’d rarher have him sit against the panthers, let the bengals lose and suffer. Mixon all healed up and ready to go week 4 as a sure fire RB1 ROS!!

• Thanks 1