smeeze

Joe Mixon 2018 Outlook

12 minutes ago, Bowman said:

I was thinking the same. I used my #5 waiver on Gio, so I'm admittedly biased. But I feel like with knee scopes and high ankle sprains, players always think they can come back sooner than they should.

Most knee scopes are about letting the incision heal. High ankle sprains are a completely different type of injury. I would say groin and hamstring injuries are a lot more like high ankle sprains in recovery time. Can be very varied.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chud12 said:
@Jeremy Rauch
Joe Mixon said he’s already walking fine and trying to run after 4 days down. When he’ll return? “It’s my call.” Said he’s a competitor when I asked if he hopes it’s only 2 weeks. Said it’s why he played the TNF game injured.

Love it!

23 hours ago, bwarbiany said:

Understood, but I don't think this injury is particularly prone to re-injury. While everyone gets freaked out about knee injuries, this wasn't even cartilage damage, or sprained/torn ligament, etc. 

So if you're the type to normally cuff a top back, I can see the idea behind keeping him. However, if you're concerned that this injury will portend future injuries, I don't think there's any real expectation of that.

Going to point out that I posted this take before the news that there was any damage to the meniscus, and based on the belief that it was removal of a particle. 

A meniscus tear I think still isn't devastating as knee injuries go, but it is more serious than I suggested above. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bwarbiany said:

Going to point out that I posted this take before the news that there was any damage to the meniscus, and based on the belief that it was removal of a particle. 

A meniscus tear I think still isn't devastating as knee injuries go, but it is more serious than I suggested above. 

Curious, what impact does a tear have relative to what was previously reported on 1) his odds of being 100% when he returns 2) how quickly he reaches 100%? Assessing Mixon as a potential buy low.

31 minutes ago, Ace_King said:

Curious, what impact does a tear have relative to what was previously reported on 1) his odds of being 100% when he returns 2) how quickly he reaches 100%? Assessing Mixon as a potential buy low.

Dr. Chao still sees it as a 2-3 game deal.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

are there other rbs that have had this procedure mid season and if so, any lingering damage once back?  any chance cinci reduces his usage once he return so as not to put too much pressure on it or is back to his pre-injury bell cow duties...

3 minutes ago, herschel said:

are there other rbs that have had this procedure mid season and if so, any lingering damage once back?  any chance cinci reduces his usage once he return so as not to put too much pressure on it or is back to his pre-injury bell cow duties...

Sony Michel was out about 3 weeks before returning to limited practice. About a month before cleared for full practice. Lots of basketball have this procedure too. It is just cleaning up debris. I wouldn't be worried at all. Timetable is 2-4 weeks. I'm never optimistic about the timetable. I have Mixon and am expecting 4 weeks out. If he returns earlier that will be great, if not I'm fine with that.

1 minute ago, FitzMagic said:

Sony Michel was out about 3 weeks before returning to limited practice. About a month before cleared for full practice. Lots of basketball have this procedure too. It is just cleaning up debris. I wouldn't be worried at all. Timetable is 2-4 weeks. I'm never optimistic about the timetable. I have Mixon and am expecting 4 weeks out. If he returns earlier that will be great, if not I'm fine with that.

based on your assumptions, would it be 4 weeks and then no limitations or 4 weeks and then ease him back in?  

1 minute ago, herschel said:

based on your assumptions, would it be 4 weeks and then no limitations or 4 weeks and then ease him back in?  

Four weeks with no limitations. The way he's talking he feels pretty good now. If he comes back after 2 weeks I'd expect limitations. After 3 weeks he's probably good to go, but I'm hoping they ease him back in. I would rather have him for the stretch.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, FitzMagic said:

Four weeks with no limitations. The way he's talking he feels pretty good now. If he comes back after 2 weeks I'd expect limitations. After 3 weeks he's probably good to go, but I'm hoping they ease him back in. I would rather have him for the stretch.

Lots of internet doctors here!  lol

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, gbill2004 said:

LOL, well it's not hard to guess if you watch sports enough. His timetable is 2-4 weeks, from the docs, and I've rarely seen an athlete come back in two. I've seen it linger when they come back early.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, gbill2004 said:

Is the commentary really any different than the armchair gm speak? This is a forum afterall. Would you prefer we all end our post with a disclaimer that we are not actually industry experts?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, meverett85 said:

Is the commentary really any different than the armchair gm speak? This is a forum afterall. Would you prefer we all end our post with a disclaimer that we are not actually industry experts?

But I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night.

• Haha 1

Guy seems like a gamer. He's competitive and doesn't mind player through injuries. 

That's good, but to a certain extent. Hopefully he could stay healthy for the rest of the year when he returns.

Edited by hangin n wangin

17 hours ago, FitzMagic said:

LOL, well it's not hard to guess if you watch sports enough. His timetable is 2-4 weeks, from the docs, and I've rarely seen an athlete come back in two. I've seen it linger when they come back early.

I honestly hope he sits for 3 or 4, get eased back in and be limited, in 3 weeks the schedule looks really juicy

22 minutes ago, CABLE87 said:

I honestly hope he sits for 3 or 4, get eased back in and be limited, in 3 weeks the schedule looks really juicy

I'll never understand this line of thinking.  The player is going to come back when they are healthy enough to play.   The team is invested in the player as well, and the doctors will let them know when it is safe for them to come back.   it's not like were talking about a hamstring or turf toe here which can linger on and on and on forever.  No way I want my high round pick out for 4 weeks which is about 1/3 of the regular fantasy season and 1/4 including playoffs.  I want my guy back on the field as soon as possible.  I'm hoping he only misses this week and will be ready to roll week 4.  I got a fever and the only cure is more Mixon!  Give me as many doses of Mixon as possible

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Seems like a lock to be back week 5 with an outside shot at making it back this week. 2 games missed is a much better outcome than expected given the doom and gloom in here after the injury was announced.

Anecdotally, meniscus is really easy to come back from, its frequent in MMA/BJJ and usually has a quick recovery from surgery. I wouldn't be surprised if its had a slight tear for awhile and wasn't noticed until the other procedure.

As much as we all would like to have him back, he didn't practice yesterday or today. 

I don't think he'd be an automatic start if he's active Sunday for anything other than an owner who is desperate and has few other options [perhaps due to other injured players]. 

Looking forward to having him back in the lineup week 5.

3 minutes ago, bwarbiany said:

As much as we all would like to have him back, he didn't practice yesterday or today. 

I don't think he'd be an automatic start if he's active Sunday for anything other than an owner who is desperate and has few other options [perhaps due to other injured players]. 

Looking forward to having him back in the lineup week 5.

Week 5 looks like a good bet, id probably sit him still just to see if they limit him his first week back

Bernard is beat up too. 

Edited by CABLE87