smeeze

Joe Mixon 2018 Outlook

This team needs to take out the garbage (Lewis/Jackson & Co) in order for Mixon to reach his potential.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, youngrice said:

Lol what does that have to do about it???  Marv is gone and we all know it.  You saying if he gives Mixon 20 plus carries last 5 games he should keep his job?

Haha no, I'm just messing with you. My initial response was to the poster asking what his role would be going forward - if we could assume rational coaching, the Bengals would lean on Mixon (more than they already have been) but I have a feeling Lewis will mess it up as he often does.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rickydragon said:

Didn’t they freeze him out in the 2nd half of the Tampa game with a big lead?  He should have had a 30-35 pt game

That’s what their excuse for a coach does. Their stars do great in the first half and then he stops using them. Green has been putting up with it his entire career.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, smeeze said:

Haha no, I'm just messing with you. My initial response was to the poster asking what his role would be going forward - if we could assume rational coaching, the Bengals would lean on Mixon (more than they already have been) but I have a feeling Lewis will mess it up as he often does.

I would be worry what you wish for with Mixon.  I think 20 to 22 touches a game is the max they should give him.  That enough for him to put up solid games while limiting his injury risk.  The guy has already missed two games and missed basically four games last year when they extended his workload.

1 minute ago, youngrice said:

I would be worry what you wish for with Mixon.  I think 20 to 22 touches a game is the max they should give him.  That enough for him to put up solid games while limiting his injury risk.  The guy has already missed two games and missed basically four games last year when they extended his workload.

Fair enough, but I think they could be giving him higher quality targets - e.g. getting him out in space and using his receiving ability in the passing game, instead of slamming him into the middle of the line. 

5 hours ago, Joe Odam said:

if you didn't get to watch Mixon this past week...like most of us....you may want to watch this. The tape don't lie:o

edit: that second play might be one of the best ankle breaking hesitation moves I've seen in a long time OH MY

https://sports.yahoo.com/joe-mixons-best-plays-vs-213543329.html

Look how far back the safeties are playing in these clips.  I don't want to have to wait for garbage time every week to get these wide open looks.

4 minutes ago, Lord_Varys said:

Look how far back the safeties are playing in these clips.  I don't want to have to wait for garbage time every week to get these wide open looks.

Soooo.....You don’t see him creating any yards himself, finding holes, making guys miss and running with authority? 

Besides, who cares when he produces as long as he’s scoring points? If he puts up 20+ and it all comes on the final drive is it not the same as 20+ in the 1st 11 drives?

Edited by Joe Odam
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Joe Odam said:

Soooo.....You don’t see him creating any yards himself, finding holes, making guys miss and running with authority?

He's an immensely talented player.  Elite RB1 talent.  All that.

The situation is a problem.

• Like 2

Well one thing I know for sure is the Bengals aren't going to lean on a back-up QB to win games. Mixon should be more heavily involved going forward, but then again it is the Bengals and Lewis. And I'd also expect a back-up QB to use Mixon as a safety valve more often. He is very talented and the OL opens up lanes. Even with AJG out he has running lanes. I'm not overly concerned. Still view him as a borderline RB1.

7 minutes ago, joebaker23 said:

With the news that Green will play on Sunday, how do we feel now about starting Mixon?

was anyone not starting him before?

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, joebaker23 said:

With the news that Green will play on Sunday, how do we feel now about starting Mixon?

It’s great, that should help sustain drives and get to end zone more often. The defense will need to respect Bengals passing game with Green back. 

6 minutes ago, Joe Odam said:

AJ is a great boost but anyone scared of this MUCH improved rush D?

Cordy Glenn not playing is a concern too. But my only options are Mixon or Josh Adams. Im still excepting Mixon to get a heavy workload in a more competitive game.

Edited by Evincar

4 minutes ago, Joe Odam said:

Yes. Pretty worried about the matchup. Oline a little banged up too. Really on the fence between him and Chubb

46 minutes ago, Joe Odam said:

I am.. I'm thinking of starting McCoy against Miami. But idk if I have it in me to bench Mixon for McCoy 

1 hour ago, Evincar said:

Cordy Glenn not playing is a concern too. But my only options are Mixon or Josh Adams. Im still excepting Mixon to get a heavy workload in a more competitive game.

1 hour ago, FinsUp24 said:

Yes. Pretty worried about the matchup. Oline a little banged up too. Really on the fence between him and Chubb

33 minutes ago, cordovahi said:

I am.. I'm thinking of starting McCoy against Miami. But idk if I have it in me to bench Mixon for McCoy 

I'm in the same boat. The idea of benching him blows considering he has ELITE talent that can overcome a bad situation. I'm also banking on involvement in the passing game and a script that doesn't quickly stray too far from neutral. Denver isn't an offensive juggernaut by any means

• Like 1

I guess Silva calls it a "plus draw" in his matchup column

Denver doesn’t remotely pose a run-defense matchup to fear, yielding a rushing line of 188/986/4 (5.24 (YPC) to enemy backs in its last eight games. As Driskel doesn’t downgrade his outlook by any means, Mixon is a fringe RB1 in this plus draw. 

On 11/29/2018 at 10:20 PM, Joe Odam said:

I guess Silva calls it a "plus draw" in his matchup column

Denver doesn’t remotely pose a run-defense matchup to fear, yielding a rushing line of 188/986/4 (5.24 (YPC) to enemy backs in its last eight games. As Driskel doesn’t downgrade his outlook by any means, Mixon is a fringe RB1 in this plus draw. 

I think that stat is misleading.

I don't know what changed after they gave up back to back 200 yard games to Crowell and Gurley but they have gotten better against RBs.

David Johnson 14/39 + 3/31

Kareem Hunt 16/50 + 5/36/1

Lamaar Miller 12/21 + 2/27

Melvin Gordon 18/69 + 6/87

James Conner 13/53 + 4/42

Those are some big names.  Other than Gordon nobody seemed to be able to get it going on the ground.  The good news is that RBs seem to do pretty good in the pass game.

Question is how comfortable to you feel about Driskel getting the ball to his receivers with Miller and Chubb getting after him.

I'm not sure if you would call this a plus draw.

6 hours ago, maxim730 said:

May go Ware over Mixon.. I hope the QB checks it to him often

Ware is a safe floor and high ceiling option. Especially this week against a division rival cupcake like the Raiders. And at least we know what Ware can do. Mixon does face the tougher match up and is in a much worse offense. That being said they aren't going to lean on their back up QB if they have any sort of intelligence.

13 minutes ago, devaster said:

Ware is a safe floor and high ceiling option. Especially this week against a division rival cupcake like the Raiders. And at least we know what Ware can do. Mixon does face the tougher match up and is in a much worse offense. That being said they aren't going to lean on their back up QB if they have any sort of intelligence.

That's a mighty big IF right there.  This is the same team that hired a coach that went 3-36-1.

Mixon is a boss and he has been bossing all season.  Anybody considering sitting this stud for a backup / handcuff better make amends with his maker beforehand.  #preaching