FouLLine

Tyreque Reed 1B TEX

Recommended Posts

From the stat line and the limited amount of footage I've seen on Tyreque Reed he looks like he could be the next coming of Frank Thomas.  I don't say this lightly as The Big Hurt was my favorite player growing up.  This guy is the dark horse to end up being the best hitter out of the 2017 draft.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was a LOT of quality first baseman drafted last year that's been performing very well.  Lots of power here but may be too early of an add IMO.  He's definitely on my watch list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Thanks for bringing him up! He does look like a worthwhile guy to monitor because the numbers are undeniable, but at this point, I think it's a little too early to fully get the hype train started. He played in the AZL last year which along with the GCL, is the lowest rung of the North American minor-league system, and it's typically where HS draftees, teenage international amateurs, and very late round college/JUCO guys play. So coming out of the draft as a top 10 round JUCO product at 20-year-old, he was given a slightly easier assignment. Now he did dominate the league in his professional debut, posting a pretty ridiculous .350/.455/.617 line with 5 HRs and 3 SBs in just 145 PAs. That line was supported by a 15.2% walk rate and a 17.9% K rate, and a 19.4% swinging-strike rate. Overall, he posted a 183 wRC+ which was the 2nd best in the league among those that had at least 100 PAs. Couple more things I wanted to mention that stood out in his profile, 1st is that he posted a ridiculously high 27.2% line-drive rate, and 2nd is that he also posted a ridiculously high 49.5% opposite field contact rate. The opposite field contact is interesting as that's not typical for a guy that has a power profile (he's listed at 6 foot 2, 260 lbs so his build suggests a power profile), but it should help him produce a plus BAPIP and therefore average going forward if it is a real approach rather than being late on professional pitching. Overall, interesting tout but like mentioned above by @I like baseball,  I think it's a little early to add him and board the hype train. I personally would like to see him produce at full-season ball before jumping in on him. He's a guy to monitor at this point.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting name. Right handed 1b profile who hasn’t played above rookie ball seems like all sorts of risk. Interesting Fantasy prospect to keep an eye on none the less.

 

Thanks for the info guys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Interesting name. Right handed 1b profile who hasn’t played above rookie ball seems like all sorts of risk. Interesting Fantasy prospect to keep an eye on none the less.

 

Thanks for the info guys.

 

Very little risk when he can be had at the end of most deeper dynasty drafts.  He's got lottery ticket upside written all over him and 0 mainstream hype.  If you end up dropping him this season, meh well you used a late late pick in a deep dynasty.

 

But I'm pretty certain this guy only snowballs into more and more value as his career goes on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, garlando said:

 

Thanks for bringing him up! He does look like a worthwhile guy to monitor because the numbers are undeniable, but at this point, I think it's a little too early to fully get the hype train started. He played in the AZL last year which along with the GCL, is the lowest rung of the North American minor-league system, and it's typically where HS draftees, teenage international amateurs, and very late round college/JUCO guys play. So coming out of the draft as a top 10 round JUCO product at 20-year-old, he was given a slightly easier assignment. Now he did dominate the league in his professional debut, posting a pretty ridiculous .350/.455/.617 line with 5 HRs and 3 SBs in just 145 PAs. That line was supported by a 15.2% walk rate and a 17.9% K rate, and a 19.4% swinging-strike rate. Overall, he posted a 183 wRC+ which was the 2nd best in the league among those that had at least 100 PAs. Couple more things I wanted to mention that stood out in his profile, 1st is that he posted a ridiculously high 27.2% line-drive rate, and 2nd is that he also posted a ridiculously high 49.5% opposite field contact rate. The opposite field contact is interesting as that's not typical for a guy that has a power profile (he's listed at 6 foot 2, 260 lbs so his build suggests a power profile), but it should help him produce a plus BAPIP and therefore average going forward if it is a real approach rather than being late on professional pitching. Overall, interesting tout but like mentioned above by @I like baseball,  I think it's a little early to add him and board the hype train. I personally would like to see him produce at full-season ball before jumping in on him. He's a guy to monitor at this point.

 

In deeper dynasty leagues he's a must add near the end of your draft in my eyes.  I've gotten him in the middle of dynasty drafts (mostly minor leaguers but quite a bit of major league talent gets drafted after the first 2 rounds) in multiple dynasty drafts that are 800+ player pools if that gives you an idea.  Hell if your league rosters 600+ players you should be trying to get this guy.

 

I'd probably take anyone on about even money (I'd have to get some odds here) that this guy ends up being a better hitter than Luis Robert... Pavin Smith is another guy getting top 100 love in almost all places that I think there's a very strong possibility that Tyreque Reed is the better hitter.  If those guys are rostered then know that you should probably be rostering Tyreque Reed, more upside for a far cheaper price than both of these guys.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly out of the draft I have to say I'm more excited about Tyreque Reed than I was Willie Calhoun and Willie instantly became one of my favorite prospects upon researching the year Willie was drafted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, FouLLine said:

Honestly out of the draft I have to say I'm more excited about Tyreque Reed than I was Willie Calhoun and Willie instantly became one of my favorite prospects upon researching the year Willie was drafted.

You are definitely excited about him.  Funny you mention Calhoun as I was thinking about Reed being a bigger(a lot bigger haha) version of him.

 

It was such a deep 1B class.  I saw you already made a thread about Martin and he’s a good one too.  I actually prefer Martin over Reed right now.  Then there’s McKay, White, Noda, Yurchak, Sheets, Pratto, Smith, and Deichmann(who’s an OF’er now) who I could name just off the top of my head.  So many young talented 1B guys.  1B guys are always underrated on fantasy list as well that’s why my preference is to always load up on up the middle talent as there’s always going to be a corner guy there for the taking.

 

I really do like Reed though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, FouLLine said:

 

Very little risk when he can be had at the end of most deeper dynasty drafts. 

 

Didn't mean risk in terms of cost acquisition. Meant risk of rostering him versus someone else. 1b prospects far away are incredibly risky. Most of us only have so many spots and there's quite a few lottery tickets. He's very interesting, not sure he's a better bet than my last minor leaguer.... but maybe he is!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

 

Didn't mean risk in terms of cost acquisition. Meant risk of rostering him versus someone else. 1b prospects far away are incredibly risky. Most of us only have so many spots and there's quite a few lottery tickets. He's very interesting, not sure he's a better bet than my last minor leaguer.... but maybe he is!

 

True, I guess it all really depends on who your last minor leaguer is.  Now he's a good ways away but the upside with him to me is a good amount higher than most top prospects.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

 

(in the future, is it better to post these as just a URL?)

 

Yeah this video was one of the few thing I could find on the guy and it only made me like him that much more.  Just listen to the crowd on some of those.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/12/2018 at 9:49 AM, garlando said:

He played in the AZL last year which along with the GCL, is the lowest rung of the North American minor-league system, and it's typically where HS draftees, teenage international amateurs, and very late round college/JUCO guys play. So coming out of the draft as a top 10 round JUCO product at 20-year-old, he was given a slightly easier assignment. Now he did dominate the league in his professional debut, posting a pretty ridiculous .350/.455/.617 line with 5 HRs and 3 SBs in just 145 PAs. 

 

I did want to address this concern.  As it is a very valid concern so I'm not going to discredit the merit of it. 

 

But I did want to shed a little perspective on it.  Luis Robert (less dominance at a lower level of rookie ball DSL) is going top 5-6 picks in most deep dynasty drafts right now.  Yes he has the pedigree of being a top international prospect with a huge pay day.  But Robert despite doing less at a lower level at the same age is ranked 21st on fangraphs and 28th on MLB.com's respective top prospect lists. 

 

Jesus Luzardo (a pitching prospect I like a lot actually) has a similar wrap sheet.  Sure he pitched some in short season ball.  But most of his small sample was in rookie ball just like Reed.  But Reed is virtually an unknown and Luzardo is 60th on MLB.com's list and 70th on fangraphs.  So keep in mind other prospects have already been "anointed" top prospects with similar wrap sheets. 

 

Now the reason I bring up Luzardo is because this morning I wake up to an offer from a dynasty owner I have much respect for.  Luzardo straight up for Reed.  He drafted Luzardo with the 10th overall pick in the draft (I can't blame him for that) I got Reed about 65 picks later.  

 

My gut says to decline it but I'm leaving the offer up as long as they'll keep it up.  I'm really torn here as I think Reed's upside is just that much.

 

Either way Robert and Luzardo are both the same age who have similar wrap sheets yet both are getting far more prospect love.  Which is what makes Reed such an insane value to me in terms of on a deep dynasty level.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, FouLLine said:

 

I did want to address this concern.  As it is a very valid concern so I'm not going to discredit the merit of it. 

 

But I did want to shed a little perspective on it.  Luis Robert (less dominance at a lower level of rookie ball DSL) is going top 5-6 picks in most deep dynasty drafts right now.  Yes he has the pedigree of being a top international prospect with a huge pay day.  But Robert despite doing less at a lower level at the same age is ranked 21st on fangraphs and 28th on MLB.com's respective top prospect lists. 

 

Jesus Luzardo (a pitching prospect I like a lot actually) has a similar wrap sheet.  Sure he pitched some in short season ball.  But most of his small sample was in rookie ball just like Reed.  But Reed is virtually an unknown and Luzardo is 60th on MLB.com's list and 70th on fangraphs.  So keep in mind other prospects have already been "anointed" top prospects with similar wrap sheets. 

 

Now the reason I bring up Luzardo is because this morning I wake up to an offer from a dynasty owner I have much respect for.  Luzardo straight up for Reed.  He drafted Luzardo with the 10th overall pick in the draft (I can't blame him for that) I got Reed about 65 picks later.  

 

My gut says to decline it but I'm leaving the offer up as long as they'll keep it up.  I'm really torn here as I think Reed's upside is just that much.

 

Either way Robert and Luzardo are both the same age who have similar wrap sheets yet both are getting far more prospect love.  Which is what makes Reed such an insane value to me in terms of on a deep dynasty level.

 

Im all for deep sleepers, but in the age of prospects leading to definable MLB team goals, I would take the guy who is on or sniffing top-100 lists over a guy who doesnt make top 20 lists for his own team. Id personally take Luzardo in hopes that he dominates and trade him when he hits top-30 status, but i dont think you are wrong to hold onto Reed, just that you are probably overvaluing him. 

 

With that said, i drooled at watching him wait on that inside FB/cutter(?) at 1:11 and park it over CF, and 1:38 is just nightmare fuel for pitchers. I think with either player you will get a guy to get excited about

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@FouLLine

 

Season just started for him, I'm guessing he had an injury or something and started late. Only played 4 games so far, but has 2 bombs already including a walk off.

 

I ran to pick him up. Granted it's a deep  points league where steals are basically worth nothing.  Feel like this guy has the upside in those formats, even without a premium position.  Still, probably not  a top 200 guy at the moment. 

 

 

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/13/2018 at 10:05 AM, brockpapersizer said:

@FouLLine

 

Season just started for him, I'm guessing he had an injury or something and started late. Only played 4 games so far, but has 2 bombs already including a walk off.

 

I ran to pick him up. Granted it's a deep  points league where steals are basically worth nothing.  Feel like this guy has the upside in those formats, even without a premium position.  Still, probably not  a top 200 guy at the moment. 

 

 

 

In a bit of a slump right now but that's to be expected when you're going to jump into A ball mid season after only 2 months of proball under your belt.  But the power is still there 8 extra base hits in 61 ABs is pretty damn good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reed is hitting 4 hole in A ball after missing the first 6 weeks of the season in his first full year of pro ball.

 

2 for 4 with a double and a walk... the upside is there just let him get in a groove.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, FouLLine said:

5 hits in his last 2 games.  No K's in his last 3 games.

 

Make that 7 hits in his last 3 games.... No K's in the last 4 games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tyreque Reed has really started to get into a groove.  Tyreque's AVG / OPS in the 2nd half is .313 / .933 and in his last 6 games he's .474 / 1.524

 

Tyreque is a sleeping giant of a hitting prospect.  If he's around in your semi deep keeper / dynasty grab him now as his value could really start to jump these last few weeks of the season.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, FouLLine said:

Tyreque Reed has really started to get into a groove.  Tyreque's AVG / OPS in the 2nd half is .313 / .933 and in his last 6 games he's .474 / 1.524

 

Tyreque is a sleeping giant of a hitting prospect.  If he's around in your semi deep keeper / dynasty grab him now as his value could really start to jump these last few weeks of the season.

 

His second half peripherals were much improved.  K% down to 23.3% and BB% up to 8.90%.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with FL, another guy to watch.  Another bomb tonight.  A lot of pressure on the bat, because he's a big boy (6'2 and listed at 260lbs) and limited to 1B defensively.  He does look the part.  Will have to see if he is exposed as he moves up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.