Carlos martinez adding a cutter

I think Belt is changing his swing...can't confirm

Schwarber is skinny

Wong working on increasing his SB this season

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Flaherty: 2-seamer

Shark:  knuckle curve to get more downward plane

Mac Williamson: Justin Turner leg kick/hand position (same swing guru in offseason)

Schebler: going oppo to beat shift

• Like 1

Cora has a goal for Red Sox to have 4 20/20 hitters this year

6 minutes ago, Magoo said:

Cora has a goal for Red Sox to have 4 20/20 hitters this year

mookie - benin obv

xander ok bounceback sure

jackie bradley is it i guess as the 4th

id take the under on 4 players though haha

41 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

mookie - benin obv

You forgot Hanley Ramirez !

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, kmoore1521 said:

mookie - benin obv

Maybe Nunez if he gets 500+ at bats?

• Like 1

Lucas Giolito focusing more on location, but in turn his velocity is up. 

I like going through spring stats at this point to see if I see anything interesting.  Looking at the strikout leaders... there's Bumgarner, Scherzer, Bauer, Syndergaard, Verlander, Cole, Kluber...and sandwiched in a third with 19 in 13 innings is...Robert Whalen??  He's not walking a ton of guys either.  No idea whats going on here, but I'm grabbing a share or two until we know more.  

• Like 1

Wacha adding cutter and curve

Richards adding curve

Kingery playing CF 2B SS 3B

Kipnis still raging ?

• Like 2

On 3/14/2018 at 6:18 AM, kidtwentytwo said:

Lucas Giolito focusing more on location, but in turn his velocity is up. 

I like going through spring stats at this point to see if I see anything interesting.  Looking at the strikout leaders... there's Bumgarner, Scherzer, Bauer, Syndergaard, Verlander, Cole, Kluber...and sandwiched in a third with 19 in 13 innings is...Robert Whalen??  He's not walking a ton of guys either.  No idea whats going on here, but I'm grabbing a share or two until we know more.  

Edited by bbythepier
  • Like 1

Mccullers nasty 2 seamer.

Adam Jones changed hand position. 

Mcab Kemp Schwarber leaner.

Drury swing change (JD Martinez and Chris Taylor guy).

Grandal swing change.  Moved hands away from body to free them up. 

• Like 4

Kyle Freeland altered his mechanics to improve control and reduce his walks. In the process he unlocked 2.5mph more on his fastball.

12K to 2BB so far in in 12 2/3IP during ST. His ERA sure isn't pretty though

• Like 1

Fulmer is working on a slower slider with more break this spring, mlive.com reports.

Fantasy Analysis

Fulmer threw his slider 21.3 percent of the time last season, and it graded out fairly well. This year's version is in the mid-80s rather than hovering around 90, though it has more break. Both velocity and break are important for an offspeed pitch, so it's not clear yet whether the arsenal change will have the desired effect for Fulmer. His ERA was a solid 3.83 last year, though his xFIP was a mediocre 4.24 and his strikeout rate dropped to 16.9 percent. It's possible the re-worked slider could help him get back some strikeouts, which would help his real-world and fantasy value.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dirtywater97 said:

Fulmer is working on a slower slider with more break this spring, mlive.com reports.

Fantasy Analysis

Fulmer threw his slider 21.3 percent of the time last season, and it graded out fairly well. This year's version is in the mid-80s rather than hovering around 90, though it has more break. Both velocity and break are important for an offspeed pitch, so it's not clear yet whether the arsenal change will have the desired effect for Fulmer. His ERA was a solid 3.83 last year, though his xFIP was a mediocre 4.24 and his strikeout rate dropped to 16.9 percent. It's possible the re-worked slider could help him get back some strikeouts, which would help his real-world and fantasy value.

I hear something like that and i think he's making the change to protect his elbow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 96mnc said:

I hear something like that and i think he's making the change to protect his elbow.

That was my immediate reaction as well. Big red flag for me. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, absknicks said:

That was my immediate reaction as well. Big red flag for me. 

I suppose it could be that.

But this reminds me of Chris Sale talking about his slider during the All-Star break last year. He said that he has two grips on the ball that causes two different slider movements. One grip causes a slower slider that he uses early in the count. The second slider has a tighter grip and moves quicker. The batter is deceived from the change of speeds between the two different sliders. He uses the quicker slider as his strikeout pitch.

That demo blew my mind up. Hopefully, Fulmer is developing something along those lines.

Fulmer didn't blow out his elbow.  He's fine.  He's just trying to get better.

2 hours ago, warningtrackpower said:

I suppose it could be that.

But this reminds me of Chris Sale talking about his slider during the All-Star break last year. He said that he has two grips on the ball that causes two different slider movements. One grip causes a slower slider that he uses early in the count. The second slider has a tighter grip and moves quicker. The batter is deceived from the change of speeds between the two different sliders. He uses the quicker slider as his strikeout pitch.

That demo blew my mind up. Hopefully, Fulmer is developing something along those lines.

We will know if it's the Sale case if Fulmer still uses the hard slider or if he completely abandons it. 

It is not unusual for a pitcher to have two variants of the same breaking ball, a get-me-over one to get called strikes and and put away one for Ks.

Found this on fangraphs:

"According to Torey Lovullo, a couple of Arizona Diamondbacks players came into camp having worked on adding a little oomph over the offseason.

“I think we have a few guys making some nice swing adjustments,” the D-Backs manager told me in the early days of camp. “Nick Ahmed and A.J. Pollock, in particular. David Peralta, as well. From what I’ve seen so far, these guys are getting a lot of carry on their ball, a lot of backspin.”

Is the trio buying into the launch angle revolution?

“Potentially,” said Lovullo. “I haven’t gotten into the exact dialogue with them, but yeah, maybe angles and being able to backspin a ball and drive it out of the ballpark. We’ll see how it translates throughout the rest of spring training, but they’re all in a really good place with their approach.”

Two of the three players have remained in a good place. Peralta is 15 for 31 with one home run so far this spring, while Ahmed is 9 for 27 and has also gone deep once. Pollock is 8 for 33 and has yet to go yard."

Hasn't resulted in anymore HR yet, but something worth keeping an eye on.

Kershaw finishes ST with a 0.00 ERA, Kingery gets moved up to the Phillies starting lineup for his rookie debut, Mad bum injures hand and starts the year on the DL