theSPANKER

Cameron Brate 2018 Outlook

8 hours ago, Shake said:

According to Pewter Report a bucs news site his contract makes him the 13th highest paid TE yearly. I don't think that's overpaying him all that much, if at all, and if you have as much money as Tampa who cares? 

If you have all that cap space that Tampa has it makes no sense to get stingy over 6.8 mil a year for a solid TE, who obviously has a rapport with Jameis and scored 14 TDs the last 2 years.

Again, give your QB more weapons, not less.

This move makes OJH basically useless.

It just shows they blew another high pick which they have a tendency to do under Jason Licht. 

It's just a bit unusual to me to give up on a 1st round TE after 1 season, but I guess that's what you get for drafting Alabama players higher than they deserve.

Also, when FA happens and you are a 5 win team with holes all over the field money can go pretty quick.  

Not to mention this is a 5 win team that truly believed they were going to contend last year.  

We are coming on Winston's 4th season, it's about time to be put up (pay him) or shut up (cut him) time.

I feel strongly they are broke when that happens.

Salary cap issues on a 5 win team is just about the worst place you can possibly find an NFL franchise.  Cause that generally means you aren't going to compete today, and tomorrow is looking just as bleak.  

We will see though, I didn't think the Eagles were going to win the Super Bowl either, so what do I know lol.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

This move makes OJH basically useless.

It just shows they blew another high pick which they have a tendency to do under Jason Licht. 

It's just a bit unusual to me to give up on a 1st round TE after 1 season, but I guess that's what you get for drafting Alabama players higher than they deserve.

Also, when FA happens and you are a 5 win team with holes all over the field money can go pretty quick.  

Not to mention this is a 5 win team that truly believed they were going to contend last year.  

We are coming on Winston's 4th season, it's about time to be put up (pay him) or shut up (cut him) time.

I feel strongly they are broke when that happens.

Salary cap issues on a 5 win team is just about the worst place you can possibly find an NFL franchise.  Cause that generally means you aren't going to compete today, and tomorrow is looking just as bleak.  

We will see though, I didn't think the Eagles were going to win the Super Bowl either, so what do I know lol.

Cap problems in the NFL can easily, easily be solved. I agree that Howard was a bad pick though. I'm not a fan of TE's in the first round under any circumstances really.

1 minute ago, Jetdog16 said:

Cap problems in the NFL can easily, easily be solved. I agree that Howard was a bad pick though. I'm not a fan of TE's in the first round under any circumstances really.

Texans paid pick 2.03 to get rid of 1 bad contract to help them meet the cap.

That pick probably gonna be a future Pro Bowler if not for Browns making the pick.

But yeah, teams with good GMs that have a smart strategy in mind can fix it.  Others stay in cap hell for years or pay big costs to get out of it.  Or they stay losing players every single year like the Cowboys.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Texans paid pick 2.03 to get rid of 1 bad contract to help them meet the cap.

That pick probably gonna be a future Pro Bowler if not for Browns making the pick.

But yeah, teams with good GMs that have a smart strategy in mind can fix it.  Others stay in cap hell for years or pay big costs to get out of it.  Or they stay losing players every single year like the Cowboys.

Bucs haven't been in cap hell since Gruden left as far as I can recall.

I'd be shocked if signing Brate to a mid range TE deal (6.8 per year) is the reason they get in cap hell.

Also if they lost Brate, that opens up another need for the team.

I know OJ is the new flashy toy and all but Brate is a solid player, and sometimes it's just that simple. Keep your solid players, especially when you have the cap room and you're not really overpaying him yearly.  

31 minutes ago, Jetdog16 said:

Howard was best player available for Tampa, he wasn't who they thought they'd get because he should have been gone before the 19th pick.

If Howard was a bad pick who else should Tampa have chosen? Maybe T.White at CB or Bolles or Peppers perhaps, but I don't really see any other standouts because Tampa didn't need LBs.

They did fine with Howard.

1 20 Denver Broncos Garett Bolles  OT Utah Pac-12  
  1 21 Detroit Lions Jarrad Davis  LB Florida SEC  
  1 22 Miami Dolphins Charles Harris  DE Missouri SEC  
  1 23 New York Giants Evan Engram  TE Ole Miss SEC  
  1 24 Oakland Raiders Gareon Conley  CB Ohio State Big Ten  
  1 25 Cleveland Browns Jabrill Peppers  SS Michigan Big Ten from Houston [R1 - 7]
  1 26 Atlanta Falcons Takkarist McKinley  DE UCLA Pac-12 from Seattle [R1 - 8]
  1 27 Buffalo Bills Tre'Davious White  CB LSU SEC from Kansas City [R1 - 9]
  1 28 Dallas Cowboys Taco Charlton  DE Michigan Big Ten  
  1 29 Cleveland Browns David Njoku  TE Miami (FL) ACC from Green Bay [R1 - 10]
  1 30 Pittsburgh Steelers T. J. Watt  OLB Wisconsin Big Ten  
  1 31 San Francisco 49ers Reuben Foster  LB Alabama SEC from Atlanta via Seattle [R1 - 11]
  1 32 New Orleans Saints Ryan Ramczyk 

1 hour ago, Shake said:

Howard was best player available for Tampa, he wasn't who they thought they'd get because he should have been gone before the 19th pick.

If Howard was a bad pick who else should Tampa have chosen? Maybe T.White at CB or Bolles or Peppers perhaps, but I don't really see any other standouts because Tampa didn't need LBs.

1 25 Cleveland Browns Jabrill Peppers  SS Michigan Big Ten from Houston [R1 - 7]
  1 31 San Francisco 49ers Reuben Foster  LB Alabama SEC from Atlanta via Seattle [R1 - 11]

I like Howard as a prospect, however I just don't think TEs are particularly valuable in the first round. Id rather take a chance on Most of the guys drafted 20-32.

1 hour ago, Shake said:

Takk 

Watt

Ramczyk 

White

All were no brainer picks.   They happen to play three positions that TB desperately needs help at, too.

2 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

Takk 

Watt

Ramczyk 

White

All were no brainer picks.   They happen to play three positions that TB desperately needs help at, too.

Tampa didn't need Watt unless you move him to DE. They play a 4-3 and already have Lavonte David and Kwon Alexander.

Just now, Shake said:

Tampa didn't need Watt unless you move him to DE. They play a 4-3 and already have Lavonte David and Kwon Alexander.

He can play 4-3 DE.

As much nickel as pitt ran he essentially played 4-3 DE last year. 

1 hour ago, Shake said:

Bucs haven't been in cap hell since Gruden left as far as I can recall.

I'd be shocked if signing Brate to a mid range TE deal (6.8 per year) is the reason they get in cap hell.

Also if they lost Brate, that opens up another need for the team.

I know OJ is the new flashy toy and all but Brate is a solid player, and sometimes it's just that simple. Keep your solid players, especially when you have the cap room and you're not really overpaying him yearly.  

They have about 7 more holes to fill in this team, likely some more FA money to spend. Rookies to sign to contracts, and a QB on the 4th year of his rookie deal. 

When I spoke earlier in this thread I eluded to after the Winston contract being when cap hell would likely begin. 

Well that wasn't pretty - put up a complete dud, and only 2 targets, in a game where the offense scored 48 points with 417 passing yards.  Couldn't have gone much worse for Brate.

OJ's stat line looks a lot nicer, but he also only had 2 targets (just did a lot more with them).  Strange game all around I suppose, with a lot of yards and points accrued on some long bombs.  

Is Brate just toast, even in deep leagues?  Or is that premature?  I would think there will be better days ahead, especially with Winston coming back.  Although the flip side of that is he didn't give Fitz any reason to throw to him, and if Fitz keeps up his magic for a couple more games it might also be hard for them to go back to Winston.  In deeper leagues I guess it's just a wait and see, but not much upside there in shallower leagues.

On 9/10/2018 at 8:50 AM, handyandy86 said:

Well that wasn't pretty - put up a complete dud, and only 2 targets, in a game where the offense scored 48 points with 417 passing yards.  Couldn't have gone much worse for Brate.

OJ's stat line looks a lot nicer, but he also only had 2 targets (just did a lot more with them).  Strange game all around I suppose, with a lot of yards and points accrued on some long bombs.  

Is Brate just toast, even in deep leagues?  Or is that premature?  I would think there will be better days ahead, especially with Winston coming back.  Although the flip side of that is he didn't give Fitz any reason to throw to him, and if Fitz keeps up his magic for a couple more games it might also be hard for them to go back to Winston.  In deeper leagues I guess it's just a wait and see, but not much upside there in shallower leagues.

I dropped him for Charles Clay in my 14 team league. On top of having to compete with Howard, he showed absolutely nothing in a 48 point spectacle. At least with Clay you know there will probably be dump offs because that dumpster fire of a team has no one else to throw to.

However, Winston has shown chemistry with Brate in the past so you're right that better days could be coming.

Still second fiddle to OJ (4 targets vs OJ's 8 targets).  But at least there were some signs of life.

Will be interesting how they handle the QB situation going forward.  I think Winston has an affinity for Brate and if he's back under center then Brate's arrow could be pointed up.  If they stick with Fitzmagic then I don't expect him to all of a sudden be a reliable week to week option.

This guy is toast barring an injury to OJ Howard. Howardwas a first round pick and an elite talent and beginning his emergence within the Tampa bay offense. 

Yes

4 minutes ago, yanki01 said:

with OJ getting an MRI today - this has to be the guy to own. especially if Winston starts.

Yes, get Brate if it comes back as bad news.

1 hour ago, FitzMagic said:

Yes

Yes, get Brate if it comes back as bad news.

Bad news for OJ indeed: 

This is who I’ll be going after as my Eifert & Engram replacement... It’s just a shame he’s on bye this week. I think he’ll be somewhere in the TE5 - TE8 range while Howard is out with Jameis under center.

Little life on this thread. Brate seems like a good add, not sure about when Howard returns.

1 minute ago, mjb said:

Little life on this thread. Brate seems like a good add, not sure about when Howard returns.

He's a temp guy for now, but is likely good for at least two weeks. I think maybe three though. If you need temporary relief at the position then go for it. I'd rather have a Vance or Hooper if available though if you need a longer term solution.

• Thanks 1

I would grab him for free but not someone I would spend too much faab on. Temp replacement about to be on bye. Eh....

But he should put up solid numbers as a two week rental basically.

No need to rush Howard with Brate there. Expect at least the 4 week time on Howard. Brate a good bridge foe Engram owners