Mr2Saint

Chris Carson 2018 Outlook

29 minutes ago, owenmills said:

Ok well if you said it a month ago, that was before their bye. Coming out of their bye he went 25-105-1. Pretty great game. Your take ended up being right because he got hurt again so I guess...good call?

I'm wrong plenty so I'm not claiming to be some guru but the writing was always on the wall here IMO. Too many capable guys in this backfield, they clearly want Penny to be the guy, Carson was never viewed as their pass catching/hurry-up back, and perhaps most importantly, he simply cannot stay healthy. 

36 minutes ago, BGDDYKWL said:

I'm wrong plenty so I'm not claiming to be some guru but the writing was always on the wall here IMO. Too many capable guys in this backfield, they clearly want Penny to be the guy, Carson was never viewed as their pass catching/hurry-up back, and perhaps most importantly, he simply cannot stay healthy. 

It's been a messy backfield, there have been times this year I felt like it wasn't worth it but coming out of the bye it looked like things were lining up for him nicely but I guess we'll never know. I can't really defend the guy's health, he seems to get banged up a lot. 

1 hour ago, BGDDYKWL said:

I have been able to squeeze some solid production out of Carson so it isn't like he has been useless in fact he has been mostly really good when healthy. The health is a serious concern and while this running game has been good enough to support 2 RBs I'd be lying if I said I haven't been desperately trying to cash in on Carson. It is hard to not imagine him getting a serious injury, losing the 1A role or minimally just being a headache to own due to the combination of injury and shared workload. 

• Like 1

Can't do it.

This does change my WW plans for grabbing Penny though... at least my bid amount. Maybe one of them will come out as the clear leader after Thursday night (not holding my breath). 

FWIW, the physician they have on Yahoo's FF pregame show talked about Carson's injury yesterday, and was of the opinion that there was some kind of muscle tear that would keep flaring up (and requiring progressively longer healing periods) all season. I like Carson, but it sounds like medically he's gonna be a crapshoot every week, and there will be a high risk of him leaving games early.

5 minutes ago, 99-percent-sure said:

FWIW, the physician they have on Yahoo's FF pregame show talked about Carson's injury yesterday, and was of the opinion that there was some kind of muscle tear that would keep flaring up (and requiring progressively longer healing periods) all season. I like Carson, but it sounds like medically he's gonna be a crapshoot every week, and there will be a high risk of him leaving games early.

I didn't realize it was a muscular injury. If that is the case since its being described as a "hip" injury I'm assuming it is the hip flexor which is definitely a frustrating injury that can flare up and can lend itself to good and bad days from experience. That explains a lot in how he can go for over 100 yards one game then not even be able to play the next. 

With that news I better start sending out more aggressive trade offers with them playing Thursday night. He can still have some good games but I wouldn't feel comfortable using him as anything more than a BYE week filler. 

Edited by Jaw1
  • Like 1

I held him for almost 10 weeks but it just didn't make any sense holding him any longer with my backfield deep and set for the playoff run.  Carson makes sense for anyone desperately looking for a spark at the rb/flex position.  He just doesn't make sense for me. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jaw1 said:

I didn't realize it was a muscular injury. If that is the case since its being described as a "hip" injury I'm assuming it is the hip flexor which is definitely a frustrating injury that can flare up and can lend itself to good and bad days from experience. That explains a lot in how he can go for over 100 yards one game then not even be able to play the next. 

With that news I better start sending out more aggressive trade offers with them playing Thursday night. He can still have some good games but I wouldn't feel comfortable using him as anything more than a BYE week filler. 

My Seahawks-fan gut tells me that when Carson is healthy enough to play, he'll be treated as the starter, but they'll start working in more carries for Penny now since he played so well against the Rams (but with a short leash for the time being). I think Davis is a third-down back and occasional change of pace back (more like Prosise) when Carson is available. When he's out, I think Penny will be the back to own going forward, though both he and Davis could return value. If one was to commit to this backfield, I think you'd need to own Carson and Penny.

Like mikeflavaz, I also let Carson go last week. I have my RBs ready for the playoffs, barring injury.

Edited by 99-percent-sure

2 minutes ago, 99-percent-sure said:

My Seahawks-fan gut tells me that when Carson is healthy enough to play, he'll be treated as the starter, but they'll start working in more carries for Penny now since he played so well against the Rams (but with a short leash for the time being). I think Davis is a third-down back and occasional change of pace back (more like Prosise) when Carson is available. When he's out, I think Penny will be the back to own going forward, though both he and Davis could return value. If one was to commit to this backfield, I think you'd need to own Carson and Penny.

Like mikeflavaz, I also let Carson go last week. I have my RBs ready for the playoffs, barring injury.

You also forgot to factor in mkissic is returning soon so there goes more tocuches on passing plays

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dashoe said:

You also forgot to factor in mkissic is returning soon so there goes more tocuches on passing plays

I think his return phases out Mike Davis completely.

Penny looked shot out of a cannon and Davis is probably still going to get touches.

Gotta love three RB committees

Yeah this has taken a turn for the worse. Looked like a potential low end 1 or strong 2 after the Detroit game, then he gets hurt and Penny shows signs of life. I am rostering all 3 Seattle backs but am probably going to sit this one out this week even if Carson is active. I still think with Penny being a 1st rounder they are going to look for ways to get Penny the ball more, and if they lose this week and go to 4-6 that makes it even more likely Penny gets more run down the stretch. 

3 hours ago, RepoMan said:

Yeah this has taken a turn for the worse. Looked like a potential low end 1 or strong 2 after the Detroit game, then he gets hurt and Penny shows signs of life. I am rostering all 3 Seattle backs but am probably going to sit this one out this week even if Carson is active. I still think with Penny being a 1st rounder they are going to look for ways to get Penny the ball more, and if they lose this week and go to 4-6 that makes it even more likely Penny gets more run down the stretch. 

I think the only rational takeaway from the last 10 weeks of watching SEA is that anyone of the rb's they plug in can put up RB1 production which means that fantasy players need to stop this silly debate on how much better  carson vs davis vs penny produces and which one should be the starter because . . .

It's the o-line stupid  :lol:

Just got this guy in a trade. On the train now. After reading through this thread. I'm wondering if I got on the right train. Should I get off at the next stop? Lolol

• Haha 2

Who knows what is going to happen in this backfield. My plan right now is grab Penny off the WW tonight (if my bid is high enough), sit both of them this week, then drop one of them Friday for a Legatron bye week fill in.

May the best man win, ha.

Anyone considering dropping? Have a feeling this backfield is going to be Penny's the further removed from playoffs they get.

1 minute ago, TTRA1N said:

Anyone considering dropping? Have a feeling this backfield is going to be Penny's the further removed from playoffs they get.

When that actually happens, sure

55 minutes ago, 3FLi said:

This is surprising.

6 hours ago, nonstopfan said:

This is surprising.

Not too much.  On Monday, Carroll pretty much said that Carson was playing on Thursday.  It wouldn't be that surprising if Carson was held out on Sunday because they were playing again so soon on Thursday.

I traded this guy away, but I'm still rooting for him.  He's a good back if he can stay healthy.  Really hope he gets a good workload and plays well.

I went and picked him up again - I'd rather have 5 RBs than WRs. Now I'm tempted to flex him tomorrow night - I like the matchup a lot and think the Seahawks will feed him the lion's share of carries as long as he can be out there. I get the sense they held him out so he'd be a definite for tonight, since the Seahawks absolutely need to beat GB to have any chance at a wild card, and this game on paper is more winnable than the Rams game (which turned out to be winnable too, in retrospect). All my other active RBs have fade-type matchups. That's crazy, right? No expert has Carson ranked much higher than 28th this week. But he gives such a good effort when he's out there.

Edited by 99-percent-sure