fakespike

Leonard Fournette 2018 Outlook

3 hours ago, Lamont Sanford said:

I’ve been debating making an offer for Fournette but I keep finding myself agreeing  with the post above.

The idea of Fournette is much better than the reality. He seems like he should be a dominant fantasy force, but he’s never been one even when healthy. The injuries allow believers to make excuses for him, holding onto the idea that “he’ll be a beast when he’s healthy!”. But again, based on what? In two seasons he’s had one great game. 

Now after proving himself the injury-prone RB everyone feared he would be, JAX felt compelled to trade for another physical RB to fill the role Fournette has been unable fill with any consistency or dependability. They could've simply signed a cheap free agent RB to support Yeldon for a couple weeks until Fournette returns, but instead they traded a relatively valuable 5th round pick for a proven veteran, indicating a need to bolster their RB situation on a more permanent basis. 

As much as we want to believe Fournette is a dominant workhorse RB, he has proven himself incapable of being that, and it seems relatively obvious that the JAX front office has come to that same disappointing realization based on the Hyde trade.

Fournette will still have some impressive runs and score some TDs here and there, but he’ll never be the dominant, set it and forget it workhorse we all wanted him to be, especially on a downward trending offense with no QB, and legit competition for touches.

I don't think this could be more wrong.

Last year, the Jags had Fournette, Ivory, and Yeldon on the roster. Hyde will take Ivory's role this year when Fournette returns. If he's healthy, he's putting up RB1 numbers. I also think it's inaccurate to say he has only had 1 great game. Dude was the #8 RB in standard last year, that's missing 3 games and he played well in playoffs.

28 minutes ago, timexsocialclub said:

Last year, the Jags had Fournette, Ivory, and Yeldon on the roster. Hyde will take Ivory's role this year when Fournette returns. If he's healthy, he's putting up RB1 numbers. I also think it's inaccurate to say he has only had 1 great game. Dude was the #8 RB in standard last year, that's missing 3 games and he played well in playoffs.

Last year was a different year. It’s possible Hyde takes touches away because the Jags believe Fournette’s hammy can’t handle 20 touches/game. The Jags have been fighting with Fournette’s injuries for two years, and they may believe Hyde is a guy who can take some quality touches this year and help manage Fournette’s workload. 

We’ll see what happens when Fournette returns, but I believe it’s very possible Hyde takes touches away. Not a ton, but maybe 5-7 each game. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, timexsocialclub said:

I’m curious, do you mind linking the rankings you are  referencing showing Fournette #8 in 2017? I just want to see where Carlos Hyde ranked for comparison.

Edited by Lamont Sanford
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Lamont Sanford said:

I’m curious, do you mind linking the rankings you are  referencing showing Fournette #8 in 2017? I just want to see where Carlos Hyde ranked for comparison.

Sure:

1) This is PPR. Hyde had 23 more receptions. 2) LF missed 3 games. 

http://games.espn.com/ffl/leaders?slotCategoryId=2&seasonTotals=true&seasonId=2017

2) Avg fantasy points per game.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/2017-fantasy-football-season-in-review-touches-fantasy-stats-pointing-up-for-running-backs/

LF averaged more points per game, albeit on more touches.

I get your point, however, and am admittedly surprised by the statistics. Hyde was an effective fantasy player last year, nearly on par with Fournette. You could be right and it is in no way certain that LF will return and dominate this backfield like I assumed. I guess we'll find out what Marone has planned soon enough. I will say this - none of this seems ideal for fantasy purposes.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, lvsaint429 said:

Maybe quit whining & just don’t come back to the thread until week 10? This is just speculation & conversation...no worse than the Leveon Bell or Josh Gordon threads

So you’re comparing this to the Josh Gordon thread?  The thread that has been locked and unlocked numerous times?

1 hour ago, poofinger said:

So you’re comparing this to the Josh Gordon thread?  The thread that has been locked and unlocked numerous times?

So what? Who do you think you are? People are exchanging information & thoughts. If you don’t like it, then go away 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Lamont Sanford said:

Now after proving himself the injury-prone RB everyone feared he would be, JAX felt compelled to trade for another physical RB to fill the role Fournette has been unable fill with any consistency or dependability. They could've simply signed a cheap free agent RB to support Yeldon for a couple weeks until Fournette returns, but instead they traded a relatively valuable 5th round pick for a proven veteran, indicating a need to bolster their RB situation on a more permanent basis...

I think you're reading to much into the Hyde trade. Last year when they led the league in rushing they had Chris Ivory complimenting Fournette. They felt as though Yeldon can move into that role, but he's not physical like Ivory. Yeldon is more of a flashy runner, but that's all they have now behind Fournette with Corey Grant on IR. Losing Grant was a huge blow they needed to make up for. With the Jaguars mentality to want to run the ball, there's more to this decision than thinking Fournette isn't working out. Sure his injury struggles were a factor in the decision, but many things factored in. I'd say this is a great time to buy cheap if you need a RB.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, timexsocialclub said:

The flaw in your logic is the lack of consideration of the Jaguars view on Fournette. More specifically, wether they believe he can handle 20 carries a game. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jags02 said:

I think you're reading to much into the Hyde trade. Last year when they led the league in rushing they had Chris Ivory complimenting Fournette. They felt as though Yeldon can move into that role, but he's not physical like Ivory. Yeldon is more of a flashy runner, but that's all they have now behind Fournette with Corey Grant on IR. Losing Grant was a huge blow they needed to make up for. With the Jaguars mentality to want to run the ball, there's more to this decision than thinking Fournette isn't working out. Sure his injury struggles were a factor in the decision, but many things factored in. I'd say this is a great time to buy cheap if you need a RB.

i like your thoughts here ...but....there is more to the hyde trade than just getting someone to take ivory's place. first off ivory was not someone the jags wanted to rely on as a starter. he was a backup to fournette. and if you look at hydes age-workload-and starter capabilities it's very sure that he was brought in to start long term if need be. fournette would be the starter if he was healthy, no doubt, but can he and will he ever be is the big question here. hyde is the best insurance pollicy that the jags could sign if fournette cant. i traded fournette just recently for nick chubb in a dynasty league. you know where i think this is going, and you can tell the guy i did the deal with thinks alot like some of you here???? the jags are definitly going to give fournette another chance to be "that" back, but hyde is now here just in case he cant. i believe that hyde will be the guy going forward for this year and be a major factor in the decision making next year too.

I’m thinking about making an offer for LF.. just not sure what to value him at.

i just hope he gets healthy.. NFL is more fun to watch when all of the stars are playing.

It’s down to performance and health now. Very simple. I wouldn’t overcomplicare it. 

Fournette and Hyde will split time when fournette gets back. If Fournette outplays Hyde and stays healthy, he’ll get more carries. If either of those things don’t happen, he won’t. 

Thats it, that’s all, that’s everything. 

Having said that that I Hope Hyde looks like trash today!

Edited by Gandalfthecat

Hyde is a really good RB. But Fournette is a generational talent who was their 4th overall pick for a reason. Last year it was Ivory, this year it's Hyde behind Fournette. Clearly a step up from Ivory, but when Fournette is ready to play he's gonna get his usual volume or at least close to it.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, mrko1990 said:

Over/Under on when they finally shut him down for the season?

Under for this soft weakling...Doubt he sees the field again this year or he will re-injure it in the first half of his first game back.

1 hour ago, frog34 said:

Hyde is a really good RB. But Fournette is a generational talent who was their 4th overall pick for a reason. Last year it was Ivory, this year it's Hyde behind Fournette. Clearly a step up from Ivory, but when Fournette is ready to play he's gonna get his usual volume or at least close to it.

Agreed. Hyde is on his third team in a year and a half. He is solid but there is a reason teams move on from him for guys like McKinnon and Chubb, players who are much lesser players than Fournette.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Ace_King said:

Agreed. Hyde is on his third team in a year and a half. He is solid but there is a reason teams move on from him for guys like McKinnon and Chubb, players who are much lesser players than Fournette.

3 teams:

SF couldn’t afford him

Cleveland had Chubb emerge and is still rebuilding

Jax needed him

24 minutes ago, Smoketheclay said:

3 teams:

SF couldn’t afford him

Cleveland had Chubb emerge and is still rebuilding

Jax needed him

SF could afford him. The gave jet more money than Hyde got.

Edited by jsch08

1 minute ago, jsch08 said:

SF could afford him. The gave jet more money than Hyde got.

Hyde wasn't a fit for Shanny's system, despite being the better RB over McKinnon. They overpaid for McKinnon.

2 minutes ago, devaster said:

Hyde wasn't a fit for Shanny's system, despite being the better RB over McKinnon. They overpaid for McKinnon.

I don’t disagree, but the poster said they couldn’t afford him. That’s not true. They wanted to move on from him.

Just now, jsch08 said:

I don’t disagree, but the poster said they couldn’t afford him. That’s not true. They wanted to move on from him.

True. Was just the wrong argument. They moved on from Hyde not because they couldn't afford him, but they didn't like his fit in their scheme. The Jags needed a RB like Hyde behind Fournette because he has had a really difficult time staying on the field. Nagging injuries are far too common for Fournette dating back to college.

He is better than McKinnon but the point is he is a good RB, not an elite one like Fournette is. San Fran not keeping him could be explained by the system but what about Cleveland? They concluded Chubb was better and Chubb isn't nearly the talent Fournette is. 

57 minutes ago, Ace_King said:

He is better than McKinnon but the point is he is a good RB, not an elite one like Fournette is. San Fran not keeping him could be explained by the system but what about Cleveland? They concluded Chubb was better and Chubb isn't nearly the talent Fournette is. 

hyde is a grinder bruiser type. fits jags system better. chubb is faster and more of a home run type of rb. with the talent and age of  mayfield taking over at the helm, chubb is a better fit. and chubb i think is a better rb. i traded fournette for chubb in a dynasty league this last week. fournette maybe the better overall rb, but i may get more out of chubb the next couple of years? tired of the potential with having to wait for him to be there to deliver on it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ace_King said:

Hyde: 11 yards on 6 carries. He isn't a threat to Fournette.

Yeldon probably is though considering the Jags suck and have an incompetent offense, which will lead to pass oriented gameflow.

Edited by MJJ28