NYR Fan 116894

John Brown 2018 Outlook

Recommended Posts

Guess I'll fall for this guy again. I do think he could benefit from an offense that looks to push it downfield more

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My hold up is Crabtree and that Flacco hasn't really been able to support two fantasy-relevant WRs in the last several years. I guess for where Brown is going you're not hedging too much capital so it's worth a shot, but I don't want to miss on other guys by rostering Brown waiting for him to pop. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TPowell said:

Guess I'll fall for this guy again. I do think he could benefit from an offense that looks to push it downfield more

 

JB is exceptional, but it’s not the new offense pushing the ball that he’ll benefit from: he will excel if he’s healthy, and he’ll bust if he’s not. He’s not high priced, but it’s a risk, probably making Best Ball his ideal format. 

 

Just now, kidsgotsoul said:

 I don't want to miss on other guys by rostering Brown waiting for him to pop. 

 

Probably don't want to use the word “pop” for JBrown, because he will pop, but it’ll be his knee, ankle, or hip.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brown could end up being the Ravens leading receiver and all I keep hearing is Flacco is having the best camp of his career.

 

Last night they tried a deep ball to Brown on first series, and later he ended up catching Flacco's touchdown. 

 

Smokey may be back!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

Not sure why this thread is quiet. I mean why not this year?

Because Joe Flacco.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I Love John Brown this year. Some for fantasy but after all he's been through, I wish him success.

 

Big time sleeper.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i have him and crowder as my fallen angel sleeper wr's for the flex spot

Edited by dashoe
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, GriffeySwag said:

Because Joe Flacco.

 

But he seems better and they still attempt a crazy amount of passes. Was any ravens wr relevant last year? Can’t quite remember.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ravens fan here.  We're excited about Brown but I think the brakes need to be pumped a bit.  He has the sickle cell trait and as a 2016 espn article quoted, "According to the CDC's website, those with sickle-cell trait are "more likely" to experience muscle breakdown when doing "intense exercise" than those who don't have the trait."  

 

So with that in mind, will he last the whole year?  Likely not.  He's been dynamic for sure and who was it, Peter King maybe, who said of the 20 camps he visited this summer, John Brown was the single most impressive player he saw.  

 

Probably can't go wrong as a late round flier, but I wouldn't pencil him in just yet as your wr3 for the year.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

Not sure why this thread is quiet. I mean why not this year?

 

Why not 2016?

Why not 2017?

 

We hear this every year. He has been through a lot and I think owners are just somewhat hesitant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, GriffeySwag said:

Because Joe Flacco.


Flacco has been in the league for how long? The book is out on this dude. He's average at best. Sometimes I think he's not even average.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, lbjames6 said:


Flacco has been in the league for how long? The book is out on this dude. He's average at best. Sometimes I think he's not even average.

 

But he loves throwing deep

 

John Brown is good at going deep (get your mind out of the gutter)

 

Worth a flier imo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not worried at all about Flacco.  He wasn't healthy to start the season then the OL got banged up, and the WRs were suspect.

 

Brown's health is the issue.  He's a great gamble as your WR4 or WR5.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

There’s no doubt that second-year cornerback Marlon Humphrey is a very good player and has all the tools to be even better. Defensive Coordinator Wink Martindale said Humphrey will be a “dominant” cornerback in the NFL.  There’s also no denying that Humphrey has had three straight tough practices in which he’s surrendered several deep completions, particularly to wide receiver John Brown.

 

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/news-notes-7-28-an-update-on-ravens-offensive-line-competition

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, lbjames6 said:


Flacco has been in the league for how long? The book is out on this dude. He's average at best. Sometimes I think he's not even average.

He is definitely below avg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had this guy que'd as a last couple of round sleeper, thinking no one would touch him, and in both drafts he was picked before I could take him.  He's totally worth a flyer, but unless that cell issue he has is somehow cured, he's likely to see the same issues as his recent seasons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brown certainly is one of my favorite bounce back players this year.  Targeting him in the 7 - 9 rounds of my 20 team draft

 

While its a bit unnerving that Flacco completed just 31% of his passes over 15 yards in 2017, Brown provides a greater vertical threat than any Raven receive from a season ago  (an aging M Wallace didn't do him any favors).  Flacco will continue to take shots down the field, and Brown should be on the receiving end of the lions share of them.  

 

Health permitting (so far so good, which included that spectacular grab against the Colts), I think he could emerge as the most productive fantasy wideout on the Ravens roster.    

 

Can anyone report if he is expected to serve as Baltimores primary punt returner?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, KRB80 said:

Anymore opinions on JB?

 

I'm considering dropping DJ Moore for him.  Good idea?

 

I absolutely would

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, KRB80 said:

Anymore opinions on JB?

 

I'm considering dropping DJ Moore for him.  Good idea?

 

Tough call.

 

I currently have DJ Moore and C Sutton on my roster in a 14 teamer and been thinking about maybe picking up Brown.  

 

I love Moore's talent....Reminds me of a young Steve Smith.  Personally, I just think I'd rather keep Moore for his upside over Brown.  I really still don't know if Funchess is really the alpha #1 WR that everybody seems to be treating him as.  That guy had every break in the world last year and still didn't really have a great season.  I think Moore is a special talent with the ball in his hands and they need to find a way to get him some touches.

 

For myself though, I may drop Sutton for Brown.  I really like Sutton's upside but he probably does need an injury to Sanders or Thomas to become fantasy relevant.  And even then he'd probably still be the #2 receiver.  Brown is the #2 receiver right now and maybe could work his way into a 1A/1B situation with Crabtree. 

 

Overall, I'm having a tough time really believing in Brown.  I mean, between his health issues and Flacco just being terrible, it's hard to see much upside.  By the same token though, the Raven's really don't have much at WR so I guess there is opportunity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, KRB80 said:

Anymore opinions on JB?

 

I'm considering dropping DJ Moore for him.  Good idea?

 

Smoky easily over Moore.  Rookie WRs are rarely productive.

7 minutes ago, tts42572 said:

 

Tough call.

 

I currently have DJ Moore and C Sutton on my roster in a 14 teamer and been thinking about maybe picking up Brown.  

 

I love Moore's talent....Reminds me of a young Steve Smith.  Personally, I just think I'd rather keep Moore for his upside over Brown.  I really still don't know if Funchess is really the alpha #1 WR that everybody seems to be treating him as.  That guy had every break in the world last year and still didn't really have a great season.  I think Moore is a special talent with the ball in his hands and they need to find a way to get him some touches.

 

For myself though, I may drop Sutton for Brown.  I really like Sutton's upside but he probably does need an injury to Sanders or Thomas to become fantasy relevant.  And even then he'd probably still be the #2 receiver.  Brown is the #2 receiver right now and maybe could work his way into a 1A/1B situation with Crabtree. 

 

Overall, I'm having a tough time really believing in Brown.  I mean, between his health issues and Flacco just being terrible, it's hard to see much upside.  By the same token though, the Raven's really don't have much at WR so I guess there is opportunity.

 

Whats Moore’s upside?  60/800/4 would be an awesome season for him as a rookie and it’s already been reported that Torrey Smith is starting over him in 2WR sets.

 

Smoky

1. I think he’s established that he’s very talented when healthy.

2. Has had maybe the best training camp reports out of any player in the NFL this year

3. TONS of opportunity/targets available.  I’m not sure why people have been assuming that Crabtree will lead the team in targets and Brown could easily reveal himself as the WR1 week 1.

 

I could easily see Smoky putting up a 70/1000/7 type of season.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.