Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Packdog

Jerick McKinnon 2018 Outlook

3 hours ago, Slatykamora said:

If they were worried about McKinnon/in house soultions in short yardage. They would have signed Morris or some other big back much much earlier in the off-season. Yet they didn't. Morris only came in after injuries.

I'm speculating here, but McKinnon has always had durability concerns right?  There's always been a question of whether or not his relatively small frame could endure a full workload.  Maybe the 49ers originally thought he could handle it and didn't see a need to sign a bigger RB.  And when he got injured in the first preseason game, maybe they reconsidered so they signed Morris.

In other words, you don't address a deficiency until you first see a deficiency.

2 hours ago, disasterisk said:

Like I said, still no numbers. 

What kind of numbers are you looking for?  The maximum weight they can bench press, squat, dead lift, etc...?  Good luck finding that.

As of right now, the eye test and Shanahan's own words support my opinion that Morris is stronger than McKinnon.  And you've offered nothing to the contrary.

11 hours ago, wekko368 said:

The video of him running routes....without pads.  Against stationary "defenders".  And not at full speed.  Sorry, but I don't see how that proves your point.

Do you remember Roddy White?  In 2013, Roddy White hurt his ankle in preseason.  IIRC, at the time, he was being drafted in the 6th round.  He was able to resume practicing before the regular season started, and the fantasy world rejoiced.  However, the injured ankle affected him all season long, and he had a terrible year.

Funny I didn't know a calf injury's severity is significantly affected by pads and defenders (it isn't). He can either run or it or he can't. You are grasping at straws now. 

White had a high ankle sprain. It was confirmed at that time by MRI. High ankle sprains are typically 8 week injuries. This is common knowledge. Stop grasping at straws and stop posting. It's baseless conjecture. If you don't like the player, don't draft him. 

11 hours ago, wekko368 said:

I'm speculating here, but McKinnon has always had durability concerns right?  There's always been a question of whether or not his relatively small frame could endure a full workload.  Maybe the 49ers originally thought he could handle it and didn't see a need to sign a bigger RB.  And when he got injured in the first preseason game, maybe they reconsidered so they signed Morris.

In other words, you don't address a deficiency until you first see a deficiency.

Let's just clarify some things here. 

1. He didn't get injured in a game. He got injured in practice with what amounts to be a minor muscle pull. Already scared given Brieda and Kittle went down in game, they decided it wasn't worth risking their lead back in meaningless games and shut him down. 

2. Mckinnon has a history of being nicked up, but no major injuries afaik. In terms of his role, he has typically excelled in generating yards after contact so I don't think the goal line back role is something out of his wheel house. He was just unfairly typecast in Minnesota. 

Alfred Morris was signed because they had three injuries to runningbacks. If these don't happen, he is probably still looking for work. That being said, he knows the system and has shown well and will probably earn a roster spot. I don't think he is in line for a significant workload, if any when the Mckinnon and Brieda return week 1. 

11 minutes ago, Sizzlebshu said:

Funny I didn't know a calf injury's severity is significantly affected by pads and defenders (it isn't). He can either run or it or he can't. You are grasping at straws now. 

White had a high ankle sprain. It was confirmed at that time by MRI. High ankle sprains are typically 8 week injuries. This is common knowledge. Stop grasping at straws and stop posting. It's baseless conjecture. If you don't like the player, don't draft him. 

It all goes towards the probability of re-aggravating the injury, especially if a player resumes playing before he's fully healed.  And that happens all the time.

Also, "stop grasping at straws and stop posting"?  Seriously?  A video of limited individual work, with no defenders, no pads, and not at full speed, and you think he's going to be 100% for week 1?  That's the definition of "grasping at straws".  

Also, out of curiosity, when you tell people to "stop posting", has anyone ever listened?

5 minutes ago, wekko368 said:

It all goes towards the probability of re-aggravating the injury, especially if a player resumes playing before he's fully healed.  And that happens all the time.

Also, "stop grasping at straws and stop posting"?  Seriously?  A video of limited individual work, with no defenders, no pads, and not at full speed, and you think he's going to be 100% for week 1?  That's the definition of "grasping at straws".  

Also, out of curiosity, when you tell people to "stop posting", has anyone ever listened?

No actually it doesn't. Comparing a completely different injury (a high ankle sprain) to a minor calf strain isn't correlated at all. Youre just dug in and looking for a way to justify a bad opinion. You don't even have enough information comment on the chance of re-injury and the information we do have doesn't work for you, but being dug in, you deny it's existence. 

This again shows your ignorance with how dug in you are. Your argument was "the evidence is he isn't practicing." You get video evidence of him making hard cuts i.e practicing and you dig in and deny it saying that isn't indicative of anything. If you want to continue to live in a cave and die on your anti jerick mckinnon hill fine, don't burden the rest of the thread with this stupidity. Come up with a better argument. 

Nobody knows how this will pan out.  When you have a starter who is hurt and the backup goes gangbusters, it can go many ways.  We have no idea if McKinnon will get his job back or be Wally Pipped or be in a committee.

Alfs performance could not have been a good thing for McKinnon though.  You have another effective back on the team and even if McKinnon slides right back into the starter role, his leash is now shorter.  The real fear here is a timeshare now.

19 minutes ago, kp96 said:

Nobody knows how this will pan out.  When you have a starter who is hurt and the backup goes gangbusters, it can go many ways.  We have no idea if McKinnon will get his job back or be Wally Pipped or be in a committee.

Alfs performance could not have been a good thing for McKinnon though.  You have another effective back on the team and even if McKinnon slides right back into the starter role, his leash is now shorter.  The real fear here is a timeshare now.

I still think that McKinnon will get every chance to be the main guy though because of the contract that he signed.

51 minutes ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

For the millionth time, his contract is essentially a 1 year deal that they can quite easily get out of in 2019.

and I expect they will do so 

I don't expect them to get out of this in 2019. Mckinnon's play has given us no reason to think so and the 2019 draft class for runningbacks is very very weak. 

27 minutes ago, Sizzlebshu said:

I don't expect them to get out of this in 2019. Mckinnon's play has given us no reason to think so and the 2019 draft class for runningbacks is very very weak. 

His play has also given us no reason to think he’ll be good feature back, but I digress 

7 hours ago, Sizzlebshu said:

No actually it doesn't. Comparing a completely different injury (a high ankle sprain) to a minor calf strain isn't correlated at all. Youre just dug in and looking for a way to justify a bad opinion. You don't even have enough information comment on the chance of re-injury and the information we do have doesn't work for you, but being dug in, you deny it's existence. 

This again shows your ignorance with how dug in you are. Your argument was "the evidence is he isn't practicing." You get video evidence of him making hard cuts i.e practicing and you dig in and deny it saying that isn't indicative of anything. If you want to continue to live in a cave and die on your anti jerick mckinnon hill fine, don't burden the rest of the thread with this stupidity. Come up with a better argument. 

I was simply giving an example of how a player can practice and still be injured.  I also remember Arian Foster pulling his hamstring in the preseason and re-aggravating it early in the season.  In any case, if a short video of McKinnon running routes at less than full speed, without pads, and against no defenders convinces you that he's healthy enough to be an early down/goal-line back, then more power to you.  It's contrary to my logic, but it's not my team.  

Also, here's an article from a few years ago when Aaron Rodgers strained his calf:

http://archive.jsonline.com/sports/packers/aaron-rodgers-tired-of-talking-about-ailing-calf-it-is-what-it-is-b99425361z1-288499201.html/

48 minutes ago, Sizzlebshu said:

The 2019 free agency will have some pretty solid RBs.

27 minutes ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

His play has also given us no reason to think he’ll be good feature back, but I digress 

I consider you a troll but I have never agreed with you more

28 minutes ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

When he has gotten opportunity, he has been good despite the o-line around him being less than stellar. That's really all you can evaluate him on.  

5 minutes ago, wekko368 said:

The 2019 free agency will have some pretty solid RBs.

Maybe. Maybe not. Johnson may be re-signed/tagged. Will LeVeon ever leave Pitt? Who knows

3 minutes ago, Sizzlebshu said:

Maybe. Maybe not. Johnson may be re-signed/tagged. Will LeVeon ever leave Pitt? Who knows

I think Bell leaves Pittsburgh.  If they franchise tag him a 3rd time, they'd be paying him about $21mm for 2019.  I don't see that happening.

Tevin Coleman will also be a free agent, and I don't think Atlanta will re-sign him.  They just extended Devonta Freeman and drafted another RB in the 4th round.  

There's also Mark Ingram, Jay Ajayi, and CJ Anderson.

17 minutes ago, Sizzlebshu said:

When he has gotten opportunity, he has been good despite the o-line around him being less than stellar. That's really all you can evaluate him on.  

How did Latavius Murray and Dalvin Cook do with that o-line?

Just now, wekko368 said:

Cook out did both of the other two, but Murray and Mckinnon were fairly even through the first half the season where Mckinnon was getting 15 + touches. Touches flipped to Murray in second half. O-line as a whole did not play well though for any of them imo. 

10 minutes ago, wekko368 said:

I think Bell leaves Pittsburgh.  If they franchise tag him a 3rd time, they'd be paying him about $21mm for 2019.  I don't see that happening.

Tevin Coleman will also be a free agent, and I don't think Atlanta will re-sign him.  They just extended Devonta Freeman and drafted another RB in the 4th round.  

There's also Mark Ingram, Jay Ajayi, and CJ Anderson.

I don't think any of the rbs you listed are better than Mckinnon. 

Ajayi has a degenerative knee condition (can't see a long term contract in his future)

Ingram is 30 and coming off a PED suspension. (cant see a long term deal in his future)

CJ is going to be 28-29 and has only had 1 1000 yd season, not a pass catcher either. 

Coleman is pretty overrated imo. 

Toby Gerhart 2: (Not So) Electric Bugaloo

The McKinnon haters have got their confidence back this week!

I keep looking for new news and all it has been this past week is the same drivel by those who don't want to draft him. 

37 minutes ago, wekko368 said:

Actually the line last year was a major improvement from previous year. McKinnon did well behind them but playing from a lead lent to Latavius getting dominant carries as the pounder between the tackles to run clock. Per carry avg he & Latavius were about the same. Playoffs avg over 4.0 so not sure if your point.

Zimmer is about as conservative as John Fox in game plan. Just has always had better weapons. Shannahan is an offense minded head coach and will be creative in using McKinnon. Not so much even with Shurmur as of or Norv before that.

Zimmer didn't see Jerick as a fit, Shanny does. Quoting his Vikings results is comparing apples to kumquats.

1 minute ago, howlin' 2 said:

Actually the line last year was a major improvement from previous year. McKinnon did well behind them but playing from a lead lent to Latavius getting dominant carries as the pounder between the tackles to run clock. Per carry avg he & Latavius were about the same. Playoffs avg over 4.0 so not sure if your point.

Zimmer is about as conservative as John Fox in game plan. Just has always had better weapons. Shannahan is an offense minded head coach and will be creative in using McKinnon. Not so much even with Shurmur as of or Norv before that.

Zimmer didn't see Jerick as a fit, Shanny does. Quoting his Vikings results is comparing apples to kumquats.

To be fair, going from god awful to average to below average is a fair characterization. 

I think people are underselling how good McKinnon was last year, in the 12 games Cook didn't play last year McKinnon put up 16 game pace numbers of 1200 total yards and 7 tds. Those numbers would have made him the RB10 over all last year. 

QDE6SCt.png

Now he's on a team with Kyle Shanhan who has a history of producing high level fantasy RBs.

- 2017 - Carlos Hyde - 10.1 points/game

- 2016 - Devonta Freeman - 13.5 points/game

- 2015 - Devonta Freeman - 15.4 points/game

- 2013 - Alferd Morris - 10.0 points/game

- 2012 - Alferd Morris - 14.4 points/game

- 2010 - Ryan Torain - 12.2 points/game

- 2009 - Steve Slaton - 11.5 points/game

- 2008 - Steve Slaton - 14.1 points/game

I honestly don't get why there is so much arguing here. You have an uber elite athlete who has shown he can put up fantasy points and is now the hand picked and highly paid running back of a coach who almost always produces quality fantasy players.