Geaux Saints

Corey Clement 2018 Outlook

Think we're counting on an injury here, which puts him in line with all the other handcuffs in the league.  I'm cashing out.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, devaster said:

Maybe, but we are going to see a lot of Sproles this season provided he stays healthy. The entire offense of the Eagles stunk in the 1st half and blaming it all on Sproles is misguided and incorrect. Sproles also had a crucial 3rd down play in the 2nd half. The running lanes opened up in the 2nd half and the entire offense looked better.

I didn't blame everything on Sproles, or anything close to it. But the manner in which he was used to start the game was ridiculous and was an utter failure on Pederson's part, and the offense was much more effective without him. Ajayi and Clement are both capable of running the ball effectively between the tackles.

5 minutes ago, kdko said:

Think we're counting on an injury here, which puts him in line with all the other handcuffs in the league.  I'm cashing out.

He's a handcuff on a very good offense that's actually good in his own right. As far as backs that aren't going to be useful in fantasy without injuries to guys in front of him, I'd say he's the most talented one in the league. If Ajayi goes down he has fringe RB1 potential. I have shares of him, but he was a late-rounder everywhere that I got him, and he'll be dropped in quite a few places. I just don't want anyone fooling themselves because they incorrectly evaluated Philadelphia's backfield.

9 minutes ago, kdko said:

Same here, I saw the high upside and held on to him rather than picking up Morris or Breida while I had the chance. I rather pick up my workhorse handcuff than this messy backfield 

Edited by Digitalpower35

Clement's role will only increase as they slowly phase Sproles out... That being said I'm probably dropping him but will plan to pick him back up before mid season.

Just now, FouLLine said:

Clement's role will only increase as they slowly phase Sproles out... That being said I'm probably dropping him but will plan to pick him back up before mid season.

What makes you think they're going to phase out Sproles though?  After watching the game, it seems like they're hellbent on keeping him involved.  And as far as one of the most talented backups in the league...that's totally debatable.  He had 1 good run last night, and got completely stuffed the other 4.

2 minutes ago, kdko said:

What makes you think they're going to phase out Sproles though?  After watching the game, it seems like they're hellbent on keeping him involved.  And as far as one of the most talented backups in the league...that's totally debatable.  He had 1 good run last night, and got completely stuffed the other 4.

It was one game. They weren't hellbent on keeping him involved, they kept Ajayi on the bench early and their offense wasn't actually useful until he was on the field. The threat of the run is important, and it'll be used a lot more (and a lot more effectively) when Wentz returns.

14 minutes ago, kdko said:

Yes, he's a handcuff. But he's a high end handcuff. Unless it's a shallow league, I wouldn't drop him. However, those people who thought he was going to have a big weekly role were clearly overly optimistic. 

• Like 1

All I can say is I'm extremely surprised at the amount of usage Sproles got.  I'm holding him, but he's moved up to #1 on the chopping block for when someone needs to go.  My outlook on him as a player hasn't changed, but I think we all assumed he was going to be a somewhat frequently used #2 back behind Jay.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nonstopfan said:

This backfield is an absolute mess right now, but I would not give up on him after just one game. Owners should have known that drafting Clement was going to be a long term marriage.  I've always projected him as a guy with a chance to have some standalone value in this committee but realistically, I projected him as a long term investment with the possibility of eventually passing Ajayi on the depth chart.

Based on snap count in week 1, it definitely looked like they were easing him in during the first half. He did get some significant snaps and carries late in the 4th and almost broke one for a TD. The Eagles defense kept this game in script for Ajayi. Any other competent opposing offense would have forced Sproles and Clement onto the field even more. Foles is trash and if it is true about Wentz missing more weeks, I don't think this backfield is settled just yet.

It doesn't look good for Clement right now, but 3-4 weeks from now, things could be different.

Thank you for the most realistic take on Clement's situation. Everyone wants to bail on him now after Week 1 and it's like - have you ever watched a full season before? Things can change on a dime week to week. So as of now, he's still golden, he got a decent amount of looks. It was a very defensive game last night and both teams didn't really get much going. Ajayi got lucky with the opportunities. Clement is still worthy to stash and he's in arguably (when healthy) one of the most explosive offenses in the league. 

Also I don't know if you guys saw the Wentz update but it sounds like he might not play til atleast October, meaning a lot more of the underperforming offense we saw yesterday. Might push Clement's timeline to fantasy relevance back a couple weeks.

• Like 1

I understand those who are saying to stash Clement, but would you continue to do so if you could get Sproles in FA?

Also, does it change your answer if your league includes return yardage?

Of note, Clement's 26 yards on 5 carries was better than Sproles 10 yards on 5 carries. Also, Sproles surpassed two greats for 6th place in All-Purpose Yards. Were they playing him so he could reach that benchmark in his first game back? Or do you think this is just a sign of how it is, and Sproles is simply ahead of Clement in the pecking order?

59 minutes ago, MJ10162 said:

If that's your thought process, you're not listening, nor reading between the lines. If Ajayi is healthy, Clement is unstartable, as before. If Ajayi gets hurt, Clement takes all of his carries and probably gets 50-70% of the total (Smallwood got a whole lot of nothing last night, I would say Clement's outlook looks better than it did prior to Thursday). Sproles ended up with, what, 40% of the touches last night, because Pederson tried to get cute with personnel in a manner that didn't work at all?

I don't need to read between the lines....I am going off what I visually saw during the game.

You're missing the point. Clement was drafted as a sure-fire handcuff. He is not a sure-fire handcuff with Sproles in the mix. 

Just now, jimithing11 said:

You're missing the point.

no u

1 minute ago, jimithing11 said:

He is not a sure-fire handcuff with Sproles in the mix. 

Yes, he is.

1 minute ago, jimithing11 said:

I don't need to read between the lines

Clearly, you do.

• Haha 1

I realize it's just 1 game. However, CC is merely a stash at this point. Nothing more. I can't burn a roster spot to sit and wait for something to happen. I'm cutting bait.

Doug Pederson says there will be more of Jay Ajayi moving forward

Posted by Josh Alper on September 7, 2018, 1:32 PM EDT
Getty Images

The Eagles offense had a hard time finding its footing while scoring three points in the first half of Thursday night’s game, but they were able to put 15 points on the board after halftime.

Fourteen of those points came via runs by Jay Ajayi, who saw a lot more time in the second half than he did in the first 30 minutes. Ajayi played nine snaps in the first half before seeing 19 on his way to two touchdowns and a two-point conversion.

On Friday, head coach Doug Pederson explained why Ajayi wasn’t used much early in the game and said that he’ll get more work in the weeks to come.

“I wanted to make sure because Jay was nursing a little bit of a lower body injury for a couple weeks, and just wanted to make sure he was good and get him into the flow of the game,” Pederson said, via a transcript provided by the team. “And then of course we were sort of struggling in the run game and just trying to get a rhythm and a feel and putting different guys in there in the second half. Just kind of stuck to our adjustments at halftime, and he was the back, the featured back in the second half. He did a nice job. Obviously the two touchdown rushes and then the two-point conversion. It was encouraging to see. I think not only going forward, but him, health-wise, coming out of the game was really good. Moving forward, we’ll see him more.”

A Week Two date with the Buccaneers will be Pederson’s first chance to up Ajayi’s workload.

• Thanks 1

At least now we won't have the headache of considering him as a flex option.  Firmly on the bench unless Ajayi gets hurt

• Like 1

If Clement scores on that run, all of you would be ecstatic and vindicated that you had him on your roster. But one tackle in one game has changed your mind about his entire outlook? I have to wonder if any of you are even good at fantasy football! Just, wait at least until Week 3, we're talking about the RB who had the most rushing TD on a Super Bowl winning team last year. Who else could possibly be available in your league that has a better upside than Clement? Maybe my league free agency just sucks but I'm not dropping him for someone like Booker or Bernard just yet. 

Edited by thecomebackkid907

1 minute ago, thecomebackkid907 said:

If Clement scores on that run, all of you would be ecstatic and vindicated that you had him on your roster. But one tackle in one game has changed your mind about his entire outlook? I have to wonder if any of you are even good at fantasy football! Just, wait at least until Week 3, we're talking about the RB who had the most rushing TD on a Super Bowl winning team last year. Who else could possibly be available in your league that has a better upside than Clement? Maybe my league free agency just sucks but I'm not dropping him for someone like Booker or Bernard just yet. 

I think people are upset he didn’t get touches. He’s a def hold as a high end handcuff for me. Watching the game was dreadful as an owner 

14 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Sproles out touches everyone.

Pederson:

troll.gif

I almost wonder if that was to get him to move up to #6 on the all time all purpose yards list? Can't imagine they will use him that much all year.

Also, I'm probably dropping him but Pederson did say that they are going to give Ajayi more work now. Dunno if he can hold up to 20+ touches/game but he looked pretty good last night.

7 minutes ago, tjspark said:

I think people are upset he didn’t get touches. He’s a def hold as a high end handcuff for me. Watching the game was dreadful as an owner 

My point is, it was the first game of the season, and a defensive game at that. And until Wentz and Jeffrey are back, that offense might struggle a bit. Sproles is 35 years and has an injury history. Nobody should be worried about him. Eventually in these RB committees you don't see roles carved out until a few weeks into the season. So hold and stay patient. 

Clement's one big (WIDE OPEN) run told me three things...

• lacks excellent vision
  • lacks excellent power
  • lacks excellent movement

To me he looks like a slightly above average NFL RB.

FWIW - I'm a Clement owner, so chill.

15 minutes ago, thecomebackkid907 said:

Great point. Lol. In 12 teamers Booker aand Bernard aren't even available lol

5 minutes ago, Pooskay said:

Clement's one big (WIDE OPEN) run told me three things...

• lacks excellent vision
  • lacks excellent power
  • lacks excellent movement

To me he looks like a slightly above average NFL RB.

FWIW - I'm a Clement owner, so chill.

Don't make your judgement on that one run. A month from now he would take that to the house as he has done in limited touches previously.

19 minutes ago, kdko said:

Sproles was terribly ineffective and at 34 I don't see him getting much better as he's been fading the last few seasons... Corey Clement on the other hand averaged 5.2 yards a carry.  Yeah one good run but broke for a 21 yard run in 5 carries.