Jump to content
Rotoworld.com Forums

Rex Burkhead 2018 Outlook


BrianM

Recommended Posts

I get the disappointment but were we really expecting a great performance against JAX? 

 

All week people were touting James White as the RB in line for a big game and he didn't do too much.

 

For now Burk is getting a good amount of carries. Anyone saying they're ready to drop him is being way too reactionary. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, kidsgotsoul said:

I get the disappointment but were we really expecting a great performance against JAX? 

 

All week people were touting James White as the RB in line for a big game and he didn't do too much.

 

For now Burk is getting a good amount of carries. Anyone saying they're ready to drop him is being way too reactionary. 

James White had a fine game today in PPR which is why most were touting him.  Led pats in receiving. 

 

 So far through two games white has 17 targets,   if I am not mistaken that leads the team.

 

Hogan scored the only two touchdowns.  White role is not in question.

 

Burkhead owners need to worry about Sony Michel if anything and Burkhead's own health.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's Week 2.  The Patriots' running back situation was not that clear until about Week 5 or 6 last year.  Burkhead is still a very strong hold and flex play, imo.  Here are some thoughts:

 

1. White is taking over the passing work.  However, I wouldn't read too much into White's numbers, at the moment, because I believe his numbers also reflect the absence of Edelman.  More to see on this.

2.  Pats have no reservations to give Michel the ball.  This is going to be a complete and total "hot hand" approach to RBBC.  Sorry Burkhead and Michel owners, this is going to be your life for the rest of the year.  If either of these players breakaway from the other, it is going to be because of one of them playing poorly.  They will both play if they are performing at a high level. 

3. I honestly do not believe Burkhead looked bad.  Lots of variables you have to consider right now from how prepared was he this week due to the concussion, the Jax defense, and/or was he even the focal point of the offense.   Who knows....but he looked good. 

4. After Week 6 is going to be telling.  I think a lot of things shake out at this point and we will start to get a much clearer picture on who is who in this offense.  Burkhead is a very strong hold but I expect lots of folks to drop him....and I will probably scoop him up.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, JetsAwesome said:

James White had a fine game today in PPR which is why most were touting him.  Led pats in receiving. 

 

 So far through two games white has 17 targets,   if I am not mistaken that leads the team.

 

Hogan scored the only two touchdowns.  White role is not in question.

 

Burkhead owners need to worry about Sony Michel if anything and Burkhead's own health.

100%.  Rex is a hold but sit until this Michel thing plays out.  I'll give it a month.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots of reactions, but this is not unexpected, what parts of the game I saw on Red Zone once they were behind was that Burkhead was off the grid, which was kind of how it was last year.  Good news is that I wouldnt expect the Patriots to be losing too much with their soft schedule this year, but it again demonstrates how nuanced the rb situation is in New England, where Burkhead seems to get on the field during pass catch situations when winning but not losing?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kidsgotsoul said:

I get the disappointment but were we really expecting a great performance against JAX? 

 

All week people were touting James White as the RB in line for a big game and he didn't do too much.

 

For now Burk is getting a good amount of carries. Anyone saying they're ready to drop him is being way too reactionary. 

I don't think so. Something to consider, Michel was in for only 12 plays. They featured him on all 12 of those plays for 10 attempts and 2 targets. It's only a matter of time before he takes over. Next week against Detroit might be his coming out party since they've allowed two 100 yard rushers in Crowell and Breida so far AND given up long TD runs both games.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, kidsgotsoul said:

For now Burk is getting a good amount of carries. Anyone saying they're ready to drop him is being way too reactionary. 

 

Agreed. Relax folks. Something is amiss here. Maybe there is something to do with his health. The lack of snaps even in a blowout is concerning because he has good hands in the passing game. For some reason, they are not even using him like they did last year even with Lewis and White. I would be more concerned after week 3. Right now, I think its a combination of play-calling and health. Hopefully, he gets in a full practice this week and we'll see.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chwf3rd said:

What’s really killed him is that the Pats haven’t scored a single rushing TD, not the usage

 

Correct, I do find it odd they don't use him in passing game more. 

 

The Pats seem very one dimensional. When Burkhead or Michel come in, it's like they telegraph a run. White comes in, it's shotgun pass.

 

That's what it has been with Blount, Gilleslee, etc the past few years. You know a run was coming when they came in. 

 

The reason Lewis had value is that he was a runner/pass catcher. I figured that Burkhead could play a similar role being multi-faceted. Not the case so far.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, jimithing11 said:

 

Correct, I do find it odd they don't use him in passing game more. 

 

The Pats seem very one dimensional. When Burkhead or Michel come in, it's like they telegraph a run. White comes in, it's shotgun pass.

 

That's what it has been with Blount, Gilleslee, etc the past few years. You know a run was coming when they came in. 

 

The reason Lewis had value is that he was a runner/pass catcher. I figured that Burkhead could play a similar role being multi-faceted. Not the case so far.

 

I know we are talking about NE, but I’m now 100% concerned about Rex’s role.  Is he even the goal line back?  I thought that was clearly his. But he has no tds.  So who has that role? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, TennisMenace said:

 

I know we are talking about NE, but I’m now 100% concerned about Rex’s role.  Is he even the goal line back?  I thought that was clearly his. But he has no tds.  So who has that role? 

Pats haven’t gotten a rushing TD so who knows. All early indication was Rex but now Sony is in the fold and he’s clearly more physical running through tackles

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Digitalpower35 said:

Pats haven’t gotten a rushing TD so who knows. All early indication was Rex but now Sony is in the fold and he’s clearly more physical running through tackles

 

I guess this makes my Rex my number 6 RB.  Do you think he has any trade value? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was firmly under the impression the GL job was Jeremy Hill's.

After he got hurt, and they started playing Michel I would think Burkhead's value is pretty low.

 

I have James White and played him this week.  It was brutal to watch likely due to Jags D, but NE did NOT look very good.

It's a mess when they play well (RB situation)....

 

I guess if you have a spot to stash him he might get the GL gig as he's the biggest back they have, but not much more value than that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Woonga24 said:

Anyone rostering both, Michel and Burkehead, and is dropping Burkhead?

 

I dropped Burkhead after this week's game. If I'm going to start a NE RB, it's going to be Michel.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...