BrianM

Rex Burkhead 2018 Outlook

I hope the Michel knee news doesn't blow his stock up. Dude was putting up RB1 numbers while splitting time with Dion Lewis last year. There is a huge gap between RB1 and where he is going in drafts so I feel quite comfortable that I'll get my money's worth. Even if I don't the risk is well worth the reward. Burkhead is the most well-rounded back in the backfield (other than Michel but he has the veteran trust over him) so I don't see how he doesn't have a role especially once Michel starts making rookie mistakes (he has had fumbling issues too). The knee issue means he'll miss valuable practice time and could mean they take things even easier on Michel to start the season meaning more opportunity for Burkhead. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jaw1 said:

Burkhead is the most well-rounded back in the backfield (other than Michel but he has the veteran trust over him) so I don't see how he doesn't have a role especially once Michel starts making rookie mistakes (he has had fumbling issues too).

There is one key factor here for you to consider in determining RB roles in New England

MiserableColorlessIbizanhound-max-1mb.gi

Consult Nostradamus, break out your Ouija Board, ask your guy for peyote, and look to divine the surprises Sony's ailing health disinters...

diOisjP.gif?crop=1xw:1xh;center,center&r

21 minutes ago, cohenstantinople said:

There is one key factor here for you to consider in determining RB roles in New England

MiserableColorlessIbizanhound-max-1mb.gi

Consult Nostradamus, break out your Ouija Board, ask your guy for peyote, and look to divine the surprises Sony's ailing health disinters...

diOisjP.gif?crop=1xw:1xh;center,center&r

Maybe it is my revisionist memory but I think Belichick gets a lot more flack than he deserves. People get burnt with Pats RBs if they are chasing TDs and not paying attention to anything else.  Not really afraid of Jeremy Hill who after a strong rookie year has turned into bit of a plodder with a low ypc. If it makes you feel better then take him with your last pick and you guarantee yourself a RB2. 

Edited by Jaw1

6 hours ago, Jaw1 said:

I hope the Michel knee news doesn't blow his stock up. Dude was putting up RB1 numbers while splitting time with Dion Lewis last year. There is a huge gap between RB1 and where he is going in drafts so I feel quite comfortable that I'll get my money's worth. Even if I don't the risk is well worth the reward. Burkhead is the most well-rounded back in the backfield (other than Michel but he has the veteran trust over him) so I don't see how he doesn't have a role especially once Michel starts making rookie mistakes (he has had fumbling issues too). The knee issue means he'll miss valuable practice time and could mean they take things even easier on Michel to start the season meaning more opportunity for Burkhead. 

Couldn't agree more. People tend to forget that Burkhead is not only a red zone treat and an great receiver but also an excellent blocker. This means he will get a lot of opportunities to put up stats. 

If can stay healthy after missing six games last season I expect a career year out of him. That ain't even a bold prediction if you consider that he never managed more the 74 carries or 30 catches in a season. He will shatter those numbers in 2018.

https://musketfire.com/2018/08/16/new-england-patriots-without-rex-burkhead-vs-philadelphia-eagles/

The New England Patriots are dealing with a number of injuries so far this offseason. One of the positions that have been hit hardest is the running back spot.

First-round pick Sony Michel underwent a procedure on his knee earlier in August. He is expected to be ready for the regular season, which is a positive. While he has a clear timeline for his recovery, the same cannot be said for his backfield mate, Rex Burkhead.

Burkhead came into training camp as the No. 1 running back on the Patriots‘ depth chart. However, he could be losing his grip on that spot because of the injury he is dealing with and his inability to get on the field.

Don't like the sound of a "slight tear" especially for a guy that has had knee issues in the past. His ADP had gotten kinda out of control though so maybe this reel it back in. Hill's ADP is going to probably see a significant rise as the healthiest guy. A lot of drafts are coming up soon so hopefully some of this dust settles in the next week. 

Edited by Jaw1
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Jaw1 said:

Don't like the sound of a "slight tear" especially for a guy that has had knee issues in the past. His ADP had gotten kinda out of control though so maybe this reel it back in. Hill's ADP is going to probably see a significant rise as the healthiest guy. A lot of drafts are coming up soon so hopefully some of this dust settles in the next week. 

My thoughts exactly. Odd to see one report that he should be fine for week 1 but then hear it’s a “slight tear”. He hasn’t been the model of health during his time in NE, not sure I’m willing to take him at his current ADP.

3 minutes ago, Lord_Varys said:

"Small tear"?  Oh that doesn't sound like a problem at all....

I agree, must keep it in perspective: a "small tear" can actually be a good thing

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, cohenstantinople said:

I agree, must keep it in perspective: a "small tear" can actually be a good thing

giphy.gif

fEQtRW.gif

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

fEQtRW.gif

With the English language being what it is, maybe we're reading this wrong, and Burkhead has torn nothing, and instead has shed a "small tear"?

tear_engine.gif?w=500

• Haha 4

Seriously though, I understand that "a small tear" refers to the meniscus. According to dr. Google, that can heal without surgery with sufficient rest. If it doesn't heal, you need knee arthroscopy, which can still take a couple weeks to heal from (been there, done that, got the scars).

Edited by Boudewijn
  • Like 1

If there's one thing I hate, it's drafting guy on my fantasy team already hurt. It's hard enough for these guys to play 16 games when they start out healthy

2 hours ago, Lord_Varys said:

"Small tear"?  Oh that doesn't sound like a problem at all....

Small tear... Patriots are telling the media they're not worried...yeah I'm good... 

People worry too much about the term "tear". A sprain is basically a small tear.

Anytime you sprain your wright, you slightly tore something. He'll be fine. 

He's gonna play with A bad knee all year. ...?.. DND for me..

2 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

Seriously though, I understand that "a small tear" refers to the meniscus. According to dr. Google, that can heal without surgery with sufficient rest. If it doesn't heal, you need knee arthroscopy, which can still take a couple weeks to heal from (been there, done that, got the scars).

I've had meniscus surgery and I played through it for 4 months before the surgery. Problem is it can keep tearing if it isn't cleaned up and bits can get stuck in the joint - which happened to me.  Again every injury is different but there is nothing "small" about a mensicus tear other than you can keep playing if it is "minor".  But it will swell up and continue to be an ongoing problem.

I was really liking Rex for the start of this year but I do not like the sound of this now.  I don't buy the "minor" portion of it at all.  Hopefully he get an MRI on it and we can get some more info.  If the slight tear is MCL then yes, he could miss a few weeks and be back at it.  Gotta hope for MCL.

Edited by Big Nate
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, afl5013 said:

People worry too much about the term "tear". A sprain is basically a small tear.

You are 100% right, but how often do we see a minor sprain in sports referred to as a tear. Normally, a tear is a more substantial overstretching and tearing of ligaments. Again, above our pay grade to determine the extent of his injury. The one thing that we do know, is there is a concern, which for some fantasy owners is not good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, afl5013 said:

Agreed, though it becomes dicey as we don't know the extent of the tear, and it's rare for sports injury reports to publish specifics (e.g. measured in millimeters), and certain tears can lead to ruptures if not treated correctly / with sufficient time, and rupture (i.e. full separation) gets ugly:

Latkneet.gif

As long as the tear truly is small, it's simply a matter recuperation:

giphy.gif

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nonstopfan said:

You are 100% right, but how often do we see a minor sprain in sports referred to as a tear. Normally, a tear is a more substantial overstretching and tearing of ligaments. Again, above our pay grade to determine the extent of his injury. The one thing that we do know, is there is a concern, which for some fantasy owners is not good.

That's true. I'm just going off of the fact they said it was a small tear and that he would've suited up last night if it were a regular season game. With it being the Patriots though, who knows what to believe. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, afl5013 said:

I'll play this game... knee tear you acknowledge sounds bad... but you think a knee sprain is fine? 

Burkhead can play with a bum knee.  The problem with the situation is that he is not practicing.  Read my comments in the Dion Lewis thread from last year.  In New England, the RB game is all about momentum and trust.  Burkhead has no mo'.  Michel has no mo'.  Gilly is a bum and has no mo'.  Hill is developing mo'.  White is mo'riffic right now in the air and on the ground.  At this point, not really knowing when we can expect Burkhead to develop that mo' with the team - he is late round flier / FA pickup in my eyes.  I'm eyeing White for ground and increased receiving presence in the first four weeks.  I see Hill having some serious value if he keeps the trend he is going on and would take a 8-10 round on him - if I already don't have five RBs by then.

Everyone thinks the Pats backfield is some mystery.  It hasn't been a mystery the past two years due to all the injuries.  In fact, due to the injuries and the timing of the players coming back in, it has been straight up easy to see what is happening.  So says the Pats fan.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, confusedmrkrabs said:

I'll play this game... knee tear you acknowledge sounds bad... but you think a knee sprain is fine? 

Maybe it depends on the player... Delanie Walker or Frank Gore will play through injuries without slowing down, whereas Burkhead has to sit out and Prosise has to call his mom.

• Like 1