BrianM

Rex Burkhead 2018 Outlook

James White is an auto draft right now honestly. Worth his weight in golf after 8-9 rounds in Best Ball. If Burkhead can't stay healthy, James White is going to get a LOT of run (targets) because Michel, Hill, and Gilly are laughable as pass catching backs for NE standards.

39 minutes ago, confusedmrkrabs said:

I'll play this game... knee tear you acknowledge sounds bad... but you think a knee sprain is fine? 

Depends on the severity, but if he was able to play in a regular season game last night? Yep. 

Crackhead just can't stay healthy. 

Was a nightmare owning Gillislee at the beginning of last season and Lewis towards the middle when this guy was around. 

Patriots running backs are such a headache to own. 

3 minutes ago, TPowell said:

James White is an auto draft right now honestly. Worth his weight in golf after 8-9 rounds in Best Ball. If Burkhead can't stay healthy, James White is going to get a LOT of run (targets) because Michel, Hill, and Gilly are laughable as pass catching backs for NE standards.

Because 2 years is forever ago in NFL time?

RUSHING
NAME ATT YDS AVG LONG 20+ TD YDS/G FUM FUML 1DN
LeGarrette Blount 299 1161 3.9 44 7 18 72.6 2 1 67
Dion Lewis 64 283 4.4 15 0 0 40.4 1 0 14
James White 39 166 4.3 16 0 0 10.4 0 0 8

1 minute ago, jmausen said:

Because 2 years is forever ago in NFL time?

RUSHING
NAME ATT YDS AVG LONG 20+ TD YDS/G FUM FUML 1DN
LeGarrette Blount 299 1161 3.9 44 7 18 72.6 2 1 67
Dion Lewis 64 283 4.4 15 0 0 40.4 1 0 14
James White 39 166 4.3 16 0 0 10.4 0 0 8

Why are you posting rushing stats when I specifically mentioned targets? Sony, Hill, and Gilly are no Dion Lewis as well in terms of pass catching

36 minutes ago, dudewithabadcat said:

Burkhead can play with a bum knee.  The problem with the situation is that he is not practicing.  Read my comments in the Dion Lewis thread from last year.  In New England, the RB game is all about momentum and trust.  Burkhead has no mo'.  Michel has no mo'.  Gilly is a bum and has no mo'.  Hill is developing mo'.  White is mo'riffic right now in the air and on the ground.  At this point, not really knowing when we can expect Burkhead to develop that mo' with the team - he is late round flier / FA pickup in my eyes.  I'm eyeing White for ground and increased receiving presence in the first four weeks.  I see Hill having some serious value if he keeps the trend he is going on and would take a 8-10 round on him - if I already don't have five RBs by then.

Everyone thinks the Pats backfield is some mystery.  It hasn't been a mystery the past two years due to all the injuries.  In fact, due to the injuries and the timing of the players coming back in, it has been straight up easy to see what is happening.  So says the Pats fan.

Underrated post right here. It needs more mo'. 

• Like 2

The thing is we KNOW that Burkhead can come back from injury and play quickly. I agree though that at 6.12, he isn't an insta draft like I've said for weeks and weeks now. 

Same old Pats.  RB position is a complete question mark heading into the season.  Same old Pats will have plenty of points to be gained from this position which makes one or two of their RB's a bargain at their current draft position.  I don't trust Rex and his slightly torn (not a big deal they say) knee to stay healthy this year, so I'll be looking to grab Michel in the later rounds, and if I miss out on him I'll be landing J Hill towards the end, or possibly even snagging both. 

10 minutes ago, Whitecloud0101 said:

Wish there was clarity on what's really going on. 

Thanks pats.

4 minutes ago, TommyKramer said:

Same old Pats.  RB position is a complete question mark heading into the season.  Same old Pats will have plenty of points to be gained from this position which makes one or two of their RB's a bargain at their current draft position.  I don't trust Rex and his slightly torn (not a big deal they say) knee to stay healthy this year, so I'll be looking to grab Michel in the later rounds, and if I miss out on him I'll be landing J Hill towards the end, or possibly even snagging both. 

Image result for bill belichick let's party

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Can anyone find an actual diagnosis or anything from a believable source other than a writer talking about small tear? 

Anyone have a link?

Is there a burkhead interview where he talks of this injury?

According to Jeff Howe of The Athletic, the Patriots are being "overcautious" with Rex Burkhead (knee) to preserve him for the regular season.

Burkhead resumed practicing on Sunday despite a minor knee tear, but the Patriots aren't going to risk putting him out there during the preseason. Per Howe, New England views Burkhead as an offensive "focal point," particularly with Julian Edelman suspended for the first four games. Evan Silva's favorite player could be a steal at his current seventh-round ADP.

in ppr....yes please
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Joe Odam said:

According to Jeff Howe of The Athletic, the Patriots are being "overcautious" with Rex Burkhead (knee) to preserve him for the regular season.

Burkhead resumed practicing on Sunday despite a minor knee tear, but the Patriots aren't going to risk putting him out there during the preseason. Per Howe, New England views Burkhead as an offensive "focal point," particularly with Julian Edelman suspended for the first four games. Evan Silva's favorite player could be a steal at his current seventh-round ADP.

in ppr....yes please

snagged him in the 8th round of a 10 man ppr last night, pretty amped up. his upside is certainly worth it as hes the most versatile RB in the RZ for the pats.

Count me among those that isn't enamored by the appeal. The reality is that Burkhead wouldn't be sniffing the fantasy relevance if it weren't for the fact that he plays for the Pats, and these guys are so interchangeable that it's hard for me to place trust in mediocre talents like Burkhead. He's never had a single year with 100+ touches and he's 28 years old. His YPC rate is average and his TD rate last year is unsustainable. He's only played all 16 games in 2 of 5 professional seasons. White better in the passing game and Hill/Michel likely more valuable on the ground. Burkhead more well-rounded than White and Hill but what are we even comparing here? Burkhead could barely get run in 3 years in Cinci playing behind Hill (who was cut) and Gio (who is going well after Burkhead in drafts). And now he's going to be the most productive back on the Pats because...?

I agree with an earlier poster who said the Pats play the guy they trust the most, period. It's a true meritocracy. I have to wonder, though, why they would invest high draft capital on a player like Sony Michel if they trusted the guys they already had on the roster. It's totally unlike them to draft any skill position player that high and they are typically much more likely to trade back in those situations, yet they took Michel as the #3 RB off the board. The last time they drafted a RB in any round was in 2014--4th rounder James White. Before that was 2011 when they took Vereen and Ridley back-to-back in the 3rd. Those RBs didn't get a lot of play but their most recent 1st round RB did--2006 1st rounder Laurence Maroney, who came right in and split touches with Corey Dillon and Kevin Faulk in his record year. (I'd argue Dillon and Faulk are leaps ahead of the 2018 "other" RBs). I think their pick of Michel is extremely telling and that they will give him every opportunity to succeed once healthy in this offense.

If you think Burkhead outplays a healthy Michel then you're essentially projecting that the Pats burned a 1st rounder on a player who's worse than the guy they already had on the roster. That doesn't do a lot of justice to this front office. Burkhead will in no way supplant James White for passing down work and he shares almost exactly the same YPC as Hill with less than a quarter of the carries.

Burkhead is a mediocre talent and now has some real competition in this backfield. If you're taking him in the top 25 RBs I think you'll be very sorely disappointed. I project by the end of the year the fantasy PPR rankings for the Pats will look like this:

1. Michel

2. White

3. Burkhead/Hill

I predict that Burkhead will end up being placed on injured reserve early in the season because of his bad knee allowing Jeremy Hill to take over the big back role.

Michel will also be injury-prone all season and won't be a factor.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sjm76 said:

I predict that Burkhead will end up being placed on injured reserve early in the season because of his bad knee allowing Jeremy Hill to take over the big back role.

Michel will also be injury-prone all season and won't be a factor.

one small obstacle between your theory and reality....Hill sucks.

12 minutes ago, Joe Odam said:

one small obstacle between your theory and reality....Hill sucks.

Hill doesn't suck.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, SyNdicateZ said:

Hill doesn't suck.

Yeah that's true..... with exception to the fact that it's not. He's terrible

edit.....he's like; so bad

Edited by Joe Odam

I told myself I'd never take a Patriots running back because of all the confusion that seems to happen every year in terms of who's going to be "featured" week after week. 

Lo and behold, I found Burkhead in the 11th of a 10-teamer and just had to pull the trigger.

Here we are, season hasn't even started, and I already want to drop him for AP ?

28 minutes ago, omnom1337 said:

I told myself I'd never take a Patriots running back because of all the confusion that seems to happen every year in terms of who's going to be "featured" week after week. 

Lo and behold, I found Burkhead in the 11th of a 10-teamer and just had to pull the trigger.

Here we are, season hasn't even started, and I already want to drop him for AP ?

2 things indicate that your league is one I need an invite to ASAP

1) Burkhead feel to the 11th

2) AP is still available to be picked up

1 minute ago, Joe Odam said:

2 things indicate that your league is one I need an invite to ASAP

1) Burkhead feel to the 11th

2) AP is still available to be picked up

In fairness, I actually already tried dropping Burkhead for AP literally right after the draft (it was Thursday) but the waiver claim said it wouldn't process until Sunday, so I cancelled it. If it was free agency, I'm sure he'd be snagged by now.

As for the 11th, yeah I think everybody in my office hates Pats RBs. I just hate them the least, apparently.