BrianM

Rex Burkhead 2018 Outlook

Even when the extremely talented Dion Lewis was healthy and playing great last season, Burkhead still got a ton of red zone usage.  That's a great sign.  I just wish they hadn't used the word "tear" to describe his injury.  No amount of medical facts and logic can make me un-hear it.

• Like 2

Still.

Haven't heard anything on the knee.

Has there been an MRI or anything? 

Tear.

Tear.

Tear.

All I hear... haven't seen anything on this other than a beat writer saying this.

Hoody confirm this? 

Patriot games?

44 minutes ago, Whitecloud0101 said:

Still.

Haven't heard anything on the knee.

Has there been an MRI or anything? 

Tear.

Tear.

Tear.

All I hear... haven't seen anything on this other than a beat writer saying this.

Hoody confirm this? 

Patriot games?

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/patriots-rex-burkhead-going-through-position-drills/

Burkhead (knee) and Sony Michel (knee) are participating in position drills at Sunday's practice, Mark Daniels of The Providence Journal reports.

Burkhead reportedly suffered a slight knee tear in the first or second week of August, shortly after Michel had a procedure to drain fluid from his own injured knee. Recent reports suggest the Patriots expect Burkhead to play Week 1 against the Texans, while Michel's status is somewhat murkier. With Mike Gillislee, Brandon Bolden and Ralph Webb all failing to survive cutdown day, James White and Jeremy Hill are the only healthy running backs on the roster as of Sunday afternoon.

So the truth is: nobody knows.

I have some serious hot takes for this thread....standby.  However, I will throw you guys a bone.  I should just get a tagline that states I am a huge Pats fan and I take my evaluations seriously.  Nevertheless, here is something to ponder.  What would have been the value of Burkhead last year if it were not for Dion Lewis basically taking the ball all the way up to the 10 yard line where Sexy Rexy came in?  There was serious trend for about 3 to 4 weeks, some of Burkhead's best games.  Chew on that and I will come back with the hot take.

25 minutes ago, dudewithabadcat said:

I have some serious hot takes for this thread....standby.  However, I will throw you guys a bone.  I should just get a tagline that states I am a huge Pats fan and I take my evaluations seriously.  Nevertheless, here is something to ponder.  What would have been the value of Burkhead last year if it were not for Dion Lewis basically taking the ball all the way up to the 10 yard line where Sexy Rexy came in?  There was serious trend for about 3 to 4 weeks, some of Burkhead's best games.  Chew on that and I will come back with the hot take.

Yeah, wonderful point. The Pats are realllllllly gonna struggle to get the ball to the ten yard line this year. I should trade him now.

• Haha 3

33 minutes ago, dudewithabadcat said:

I don't know what you're trying to say here, but my own personal hot take is sell high on Rex if he has a good first few games and pick up Jeremy Hill as a flier. Hill is the only person on the roster who has that RB1 upside (besides Sony, but we don't know his health or how he will look in the NFL). Remember the Gilly hype last year, and apply that to Hill except he's free and he's done it before. Rex will be this year's Gilly in that he will start out hot then fade away as Hill or Sony become the guy. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, kball09 said:

Yeah, wonderful point. The Pats are realllllllly gonna struggle to get the ball to the ten yard line this year. I should trade him now.

Brady's done. Defenses are gonna put 9 in the box. Gostkowski will be lucky to get 100 fantasy points coming from twenty five 40 yard field goals.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, RoboFroogs said:

Hill is the only person on the roster who has that RB1 upside 

Stop.....just.....stop.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, kball09 said:

Stop.....just.....stop.

He had one great year in Cincy and two okay years. He's healthy, shed some lbs, and we know BB likes his power backs. I'm just saying he's free and he could be a better version of Blount 2016. Plus Rex is 28 and injury prone and Sony has knee issues. There's a path for him to become the primary back.

• Like 1

Alright, so I ruffled some feathers and I like it, you guys are too easy.

First and foremost, we have to get some games under our belt in order to read what is happening in Patriotsland.  Training camp and preseason games do not offer any insight. 

Secondly, I don't think Sexy Rexy's knee is going to be an issue starting off the season.  I think he is going to absolutely ball.  However, Sexy Rexy is an absolute animal that has no concern over his physical well-being, this sort of broke him down last year.  He needs assistance on the ground, hence the dreaded RBBC, but it is actually a great thing under a BB coached offense.

Thirdly, that assistance is going to come in the form of James White.  He is now your Dion Lewis.  A poor man's Dion taboot.  However, White probably has Brady's trust more than any starting player right now other than players who's last name end in -ski.  White had stand alone value last year and it is only going to grow this year - he is the biggest threat and the biggest assistance to Burkhead's success early on this year. 

Lastly, I expect Burkhead to miss a number of games or the game plan is going to be focused on someone else, pending anyone else being healthy.  I am extremely hesitant on Hill being legit but there is the possibility.  As much as I love Burkhead's aggressive running style, Michel is the purest runner...he does pose a threat later on the season, pending all sorts of other things that need to happen.  For example, the Dion Lewis emergence was based on his previous work and the writing was on the wall for about four weeks until people caught on.  Same thing is going to happen with Hill and Michel.  I do not see either of these guys getting full workloads until they get there very tiny samplings for a few games.

With all that being said, here is my round-up.  Burkhead is going to ball in the first half, pending health.  White is going to be your best friend and your worst enemy.  Hill and Michel are negligent to Burkhead's value until we see some games, carries, and other moving pieces.  It is my recommendation that you plan on Burkhead missing a few games though. 

7 minutes ago, dudewithabadcat said:

Alright, so I ruffled some feathers and I like it, you guys are too easy.

First and foremost, we have to get some games under our belt in order to read what is happening in Patriotsland.  Training camp and preseason games do not offer any insight. 

Secondly, I don't think Sexy Rexy's knee is going to be an issue starting off the season.  I think he is going to absolutely ball.  However, Sexy Rexy is an absolute animal that has no concern over his physical well-being, this sort of broke him down last year.  He needs assistance on the ground, hence the dreaded RBBC, but it is actually a great thing under a BB coached offense.

Thirdly, that assistance is going to come in the form of James White.  He is now your Dion Lewis.  A poor man's Dion taboot.  However, White probably has Brady's trust more than any starting player right now other than players who's last name end in -ski.  White had stand alone value last year and it is only going to grow this year - he is the biggest threat and the biggest assistance to Burkhead's success early on this year. 

Lastly, I expect Burkhead to miss a number of games or the game plan is going to be focused on someone else, pending anyone else being healthy.  I am extremely hesitant on Hill being legit but there is the possibility.  As much as I love Burkhead's aggressive running style, Michel is the purest runner...he does pose a threat later on the season, pending all sorts of other things that need to happen.  For example, the Dion Lewis emergence was based on his previous work and the writing was on the wall for about four weeks until people caught on.  Same thing is going to happen with Hill and Michel.  I do not see either of these guys getting full workloads until they get there very tiny samplings for a few games.

With all that being said, here is my round-up.  Burkhead is going to ball in the first half, pending health.  White is going to be your best friend and your worst enemy.  Hill and Michel are negligent to Burkhead's value until we see some games, carries, and other moving pieces.  It is my recommendation that you plan on Burkhead missing a few games though. 

So your hot take is that a player that got hurt a few times last year will get hurt a few times this year? And that the pats offense with 4 running backs will take a few weeks to get figured out? Really stepping out on a ledge there..

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, SITG said:

So your hot take is that a player that got hurt a few times last year will get hurt a few times this year? And that the pats offense with 4 running backs will take a few weeks to get figured out? Really stepping out on a ledge there..

Actually, the hot take should go in the James White thread.  My apologies.  It is more or less the fantasy relationship between White and Burkhead.  White is going to eat this year at the expense of Burkhead and also provide situational assistance to Burkhead.  Be prepared.

1 minute ago, dudewithabadcat said:

Actually, the hot take should go in the James White thread.  My apologies.  It is more or less the fantasy relationship between White and Burkhead.  White is going to eat this year at the expense of Burkhead and also provide situational assistance to Burkhead.  Be prepared.

Drafted Burkhead and than White too cover my *ss for this exact thing so the prominent thing is 2 draft both if you go all in on Burky. 

4 minutes ago, chud12 said:

Drafted Burkhead and than White too cover my *ss for this exact thing so the prominent thing is 2 draft both if you go all in on Burky. 

I don't see White has a handcuff for Burk.  Sort of like Dion was never a handcuff for Burk last year.  They both have standalone value.  Burkbutt goes down, I don't see White filling in full-time for him.  I see Hill or Michel coming back and getting those reps. Hell, if any one of these guys, Hill - Michel - Burkhead,  go on IR...we could be talking about Ralphy Webb coming up. 

Edited by dudewithabadcat
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rex Burkhead (knee) continued practicing for the third consecutive week.

"I hope so," Patriots RB coach Ivan Fears said when asked about Burkhead's Week 1 availability. "It's no doubt [once he's done] rehabbing, I know that he's going to come out and give you everything he's got. He's going to be ready to go." Much has been made about Burkhead's pending status but Tuesday marks the third consecutive week he's practiced since suffering a "minor" knee tear mid-August. Rookie Sony Michel, on the other hand, is reportedly a week behind and has been handled with caution. The Athletic's Jeff Howe recently noted the Patriots are just being "overcautious" with Burkhead because they view him as an offensive "focal point." Both he and Michel are questionable for Sunday.
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, dudewithabadcat said:

I don't see White has a handcuff for Burk.  Sort of like Dion was never a handcuff for Burk last year.  They both have standalone value.  Burkbutt goes down, I don't see White filling in full-time for him.  I see Hill or Michel coming back and getting those reps. Hell, if any one of these guys, Hill - Michel - Burkhead,  go on IR...we could be talking about Ralphy Webb coming up. 

100% agree. White will have a role and have standalone PPR value no matter who is the primary ball carrier.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dudewithabadcat said:

White had stand alone value last year and it is only going to grow this year - he is the biggest threat and the biggest assistance to Burkhead's success early on this year. 

First half of the 2017 season White had value in the RBBC. After the bye, it was basically Burk and Dion all the way (until Burkhead got injured).

2 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

First half of the 2017 season White had value in the RBBC. After the bye, it was basically Burk and Dion all the way (until Burkhead got injured).

Very true but DIon gone - giving White a little more viability even when Rex comes back.

58 minutes ago, JetsAwesome said:

Very true but DIon gone - giving White a little more viability even when Rex comes back.

Meh, I feel RB1s come and go from NE but White is always the same guy no matter what. How many years has he been hyped as "the guy" but never does much?

Jeremy hill: absolute garbo, outplayed by gio ever year

lewis: Good receiving back, leaves stuff to be desired as a runner

sony: ajayi bone on bone condition, currently injured and fumbling problem

sexy rexy: best runner from this group, good pass catcher as well. Pats may try to play upthis fale injury as BB loves to play injury report mind games. I have no concerns over someone practicing for 3 straight weeks

50 minutes ago, RoboFroogs said:

Meh, I feel RB1s come and go from NE but White is always the same guy no matter what. How many years has he been hyped as "the guy" but never does much?

I wanted to be clearer what "never does much" is exactly, so I checked:
image.png.e9e695507e873ecd2d17c1943637d6cc.png

From middle of 2015 - 2017 White got around 5 targets per game on average from Billy, and a couple carries, for 50 yd/game on average. Not your dream player, but he is draftable (or waiverable, I guess). On the other hand, he gets you some 80+ games each season and some TDs, so that's not bad in your flex.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

I wanted to be clearer what "never does much" is exactly, so I checked:
image.png.e9e695507e873ecd2d17c1943637d6cc.png

From middle of 2015 - 2017 White got around 5 targets per game on average from Billy, and a couple carries, for 50 yd/game on average. Not your dream player, but he is draftable (or waiverable, I guess). On the other hand, he gets you some 80+ games each season and some TDs, so that's not bad in your flex.

Yeah no Cooks, No Lewis and Edelman out first four weeks.  White is  at least RB2 PPR viable the first 3-4 weeks at least.  When Burkhead gets to full health they will both be high end FLEX.

Brady's top 4 go tos the first four weeks have to be Hogan, Gronk, White and Burkhead.

Also, this is the Patriots.  Edelman spent like 3-4 years on special teams and then he spent another 2 years behind Welker and whatnot.  Then he got his shot.  White is poised to take over some serious work.

• Like 1

From a Pats fan's perspective, Burkhead is going to eat this season. Fits the scheme perfectly.