BrianM

Rex Burkhead 2018 Outlook

Recommended Posts

32 minutes ago, Jetdog16 said:

That's Michel's job by week 5

 

I don't think so.  A rookie starter in the NE system, who has missed most of camp, is an oxymoron.  I think he'll be brought along slowly, with more work in the second half of the season.   He'll be more productive next season.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Red Dog said:

 

I don't think so.  A rookie starter in the NE system, who has missed most of camp, is an oxymoron.  I think he'll be brought along slowly, with more work in the second half of the season.   He'll be more productive next season.

 

This. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Red Dog said:

 

I don't think so.  A rookie starter in the NE system, who has missed most of camp, is an oxymoron.  I think he'll be brought along slowly, with more work in the second half of the season.   He'll be more productive next season.

Yup. Belichick only plays Dynasty.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rex Burkhead outlook week 1 — @fantasyFB07 He’s good to go. Expect him to be the Patriots’ top ball-carrier in Week 1.

Read more at: https://nesn.com/2018/09/patriots-mailbag-honestly-assessing-depleted-receiving-corps/

 

CHOOO CHOOOO

 

Btw Mike Reiss said he will be "eased in" ... another beat reporter now says otherwise. Who knowsssss

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CHOO CHOOOOOOOO
 
NESN's Doug Kyed expects Rex Burkhead to be the Patriots' "top ball-carrier" Week 1 against the Texans.
Burkhead is over his summer knee issue and isn't even on the Week 1 injury report. However, some around the team expect Burkhead to be eased into the mix after battling recurring injuries throughout his time in New England. With Sony Michel (knee) likely to sit, it'll likely be Burkhead and Jeremy Hill on early downs with James White handling much of the pass-game work. Burkhead could flirt with 12-15 touches, putting him on the RB2/3 line as a FLEX play. Sep 7 - 11:38 AM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jh83 said:
CHOO CHOOOOOOOO
 
NESN's Doug Kyed expects Rex Burkhead to be the Patriots' "top ball-carrier" Week 1 against the Texans.
Burkhead is over his summer knee issue and isn't even on the Week 1 injury report. However, some around the team expect Burkhead to be eased into the mix after battling recurring injuries throughout his time in New England. With Sony Michel (knee) likely to sit, it'll likely be Burkhead and Jeremy Hill on early downs with James White handling much of the pass-game work. Burkhead could flirt with 12-15 touches, putting him on the RB2/3 line as a FLEX play. Sep 7 - 11:38 AM

 

FLEX? FLEX? how about a solid RB2. Much hate for Sexy Rexy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Burkhead has exciting upside, but isn't White the safest bet in this backfield (PPR). 

 

Burkhead (and eventually Michel) could breakout, but give me the security of the pass catching back in this offense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jh83 said:
CHOO CHOOOOOOOO
 
NESN's Doug Kyed expects Rex Burkhead to be the Patriots' "top ball-carrier" Week 1 against the Texans.
Burkhead is over his summer knee issue and isn't even on the Week 1 injury report. However, some around the team expect Burkhead to be eased into the mix after battling recurring injuries throughout his time in New England. With Sony Michel (knee) likely to sit, it'll likely be Burkhead and Jeremy Hill on early downs with James White handling much of the pass-game work. Burkhead could flirt with 12-15 touches, putting him on the RB2/3 line as a FLEX play. Sep 7 - 11:38 AM

 

Don't believe this for a second.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, kyoun1e said:

 

Don't believe this for a second.

I do.  I really think Patriots want to give him the keys to that backfield.  If healthy, he’s a star in the making.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bill loves Rex because he's a Swiss Knife player. Can run the ball, then Tom can split him out wide, it's like a Transformers offense, especially at the redzone. I had him last season and he was a touchdown machine. Very sad I won't have my Sexy Rexy again this year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, reichl555 said:

I do.  I really think Patriots want to give him the keys to that backfield.  If healthy, he’s a star in the making.

 

I wouldn't say a star in the making. He just has what FF people want in a RB -- pass-catching ability and possible GL role. His allure dies off quickly if Hill becomes the new Gilly. 

 

Usually NE's run-between-the-tackles guy are a zero in the passing game, so if Rex can get some rushing attempts and catch passes, he comes that much more valuable. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, jimithing11 said:

 

I wouldn't say a star in the making. He just has what FF people want in a RB -- pass-catching ability and possible GL role. His allure dies off quickly if Hill becomes the new Gilly. 

 

Usually NE's run-between-the-tackles guy are a zero in the passing game, so if Rex can get some rushing attempts and catch passes, he comes that much more valuable. 

Well, he did just that last year when he was healthy and on the field and that’s WITH Dion Lewis receiving carries.  Not concerned one bit. He will be used plenty in the red zone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, Hill being the GL back is what scares me. But I remember his short yardage situation #’s in Cincy were terrible so it’s going to be interesting to see.

 

im hoping for 15 touches(including GL work) for Burkhead

Edited by Nucker101

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, reichl555 said:

Well, he did just that last year when he was healthy and on the field and that’s WITH Dion Lewis receiving carries.  Not concerned one bit. He will be used plenty in the red zone.

Did he though? He had like three fantasy relevant games and was a non factor the rest of the time. You're going to play him hoping he gets more than 4 carries, a few receptions, and a TD? I kind of feel he only got those looks because Gilly turned out to be garbage. 

Edited by RoboFroogs
spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, RoboFroogs said:

Did he though? He had like three fantasy relevant games and was a non factor the rest of the time. You're going to play him hoping he gets more than 4 carries, a few receptions, and a TD? I kind of feel he only got those looks because Gilly turned out to be garbage. 

He was non factor those games because he was playing hurt.  Like I said, when healthy, McDaniels will feed this guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh god. I love Burkhead but this feels like a trap statement for reporters to speculate. They have no idea what Belichick is thinking. Start at your own peril this week 1 :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, reichl555 said:

He was non factor those games because he was playing hurt.  Like I said, when healthy, McDaniels will feed this guy.

What evidence is there to support that? He was healthy at the start of the season in 2017 and Gilly took the touches until they discovered that he was bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not about "feeding" him. Have none of you watched his highlights last year? His biggest production came in the red zone. 

 

Why? Because it would be a mismatch. The defense would spend a ton of energy covering Gronkowski and the wide receivers, leaving a mismatch for Rex. 

 

Or they would come out in a running formation. Then Brady would completely change the play to a 4-WR look. Now you have Rex on a slow guy. He does a quick 7-yard juke, and touchdown. His strength is his quickness, not his speed. It's his ability to shift on a dime like Julian Edelman and get that 7-yard play.

 

It doesn't have anything to do with yardage. That's just a bonus.

Edited by gimme the ball
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, gimme the ball said:

It's not about "feeding" him. Have none of you watched his highlights last year? His biggest production came in the red zone. 

 

Why? Because it would be a mismatch. The defense would spend a ton of energy covering Gronkowski and the wide receivers, leaving a mismatch for Rex. 

 

Or they would come out in a running formation. Then Brady would completely change the play to a 4-WR look. Now you have Rex on a slow guy. He does a quick 7-yard juke, and touchdown. His strength is his quickness, not his speed. It's his ability to shift on a dime like Julian Edelman and get that 7-yard play.

 

It doesn't have anything to do with yardage. That's just a bonus.

Again, he will be used plenty in the red zone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm starting him at Flex in a deep, one RB 16 teamer (0.5 PPR) & doing so with confidence. I think he'll get enough touches to put up some decent numbers and his quick-not-fast with ability to catch makes him an ideal check-down for Brady, a thing I think will be used often with Edelman on the shelf.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Neptune said:

I think we're underrating how much the Pats LOVE this guy. He'll be fine (being said with ppr bias).

Exactly.  If healthy he will be a PPR machine.  In fact I will make a prediction:  He will finish higher than CMAC in PPR leagues.

Edited by reichl555
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, reichl555 said:

Exactly.  If healthy he will be a PPR machine.  In fact I will make a prediction:  He will finish higher than CMAC in PPR leagues.

 

frustrated ugh GIF by Equipe de France de Football

 

Don't throw those expectations on Rexy, please.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, reichl555 said:

Exactly.  If healthy he will be a PPR machine.  In fact I will make a prediction:  He will finish higher than CMAC in PPR leagues.

So we're just going to forget Sony Michel exists and is better?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...