The Answer

Kenny Golladay 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Message added by tonycpsu

This is exactly what you needed as a Golladay owner this week. Tate gone and Jones hurt, if he had anything less than 10 targets and hopefully a TD I don't think he would've been startable anymore.

• Like 1

On 11/16/2018 at 5:16 PM, Krambone said:

He’s got to have a defining type of game so we can end it here. I hope all of us that are starting due to attrition get the eye popping game we been waiting for. I think it’s obvious KG is legit and it has to be The Stafford infection. If he sucks this week I’m out and going to gamble on a better situation if possible. 

Oh yeah, he’s going to eat well ROS.  Love the hands and body control. Tate and Jones are good but Kenny better. I’m glad we’re finally seeing him used like a weapon instead of a security blanket.

Think this Bears game is one where Stafford inexplicably plays great at home and Kenny is main beneficiary. Maybe I am saying this because I have to start Stafford haha

Edited by jsch08
  • Like 1

You can't sit him this week. Probably no Kerryon, MJJ will either be out or a decoy, and the Bears D is way more dominant at home(still amazing). Easy start 😎

Must be nice if you have so many better options you actually consider sitting this stud.

1 hour ago, Krambone said:

Oh yeah, he’s going to eat well ROS.  Love the hands and body control. Tate and Jones are good but Kenny better. I’m glad we’re finally seeing him used like a weapon instead of a security blanket.

Going into this game, Jones' average separation when targeted was just over a yard whereas Kenny's was around 2.4.  That makes it seem Stafford's trust level was higher for Marvin Jones than Kenny G.  This game just reinforces how Kenny can make those tough contested catches and produce big time.  I was watching the game, and Kerryon Johnson was really doing well in the first half and they didn't throw the ball that much at the time because of that.  Detroit seems to want to be a running offense, but without Kerryon, they don't have the horses to operate that way.  If Kerryon's knee injury keeps him out for a prolonged time and Jones is hobbled by his injury, Kenny will get a lot of volume and that is all he needed to produce.  I predicted he would have 15+ targets last game.  Oh well, 14 is close though. 

Wonder what Kerryon being out does here. I am assuming Stafford is back to throwing 40+ per game, right?

1 hour ago, Krambone said:

Oh yeah, he’s going to eat well ROS.  

Ar you sure about this?

week 12. Bears (?)

week 14. Arizona (Peterson)

week 15 Bills (White)

week 16 (Rhodes)

Those are four very difficult match ups especially with several of them having big pass rushes pressuring Stafford to throw quickly. How confident are you starting KG in your playoffs against those big boys?  Honestly, I’m not.....

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TennisMenace said:

Ar you sure about this?

week 12. Bears (?)

week 15 Bills (White)

week 16 (Rhodes)

Those are four very difficult match ups especially with several of them having big pass rushes pressuring Stafford to throw quickly. How confident are you starting KG in your playoffs against those big boys?  Honestly, I’m not.....

Youve been questioning Kenny all year despite him really only having 3 unstartable games. I don’t know what your problem is with him, but he’s a high end wr2 almost wr1 that you start most weeks. If the target volume is there that is perfect. Kenny is not the type of wr that gets shutdown, he wins in contested situations.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TennisMenace said:

Ar you sure about this?

week 12. Bears (?)

week 15 Bills (White)

week 16 (Rhodes)

As a Cards fan, I watched Stafford shred the Cards for 4 tds last year including one to Marvin Jones when Peterson was on him (I think Golladay had 3 tds that game, most on Justin Bethel who was awful). The concern with that game is the Cards are so inept against the run and on offense that there may not be passing volume in that game.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, jsch08 said:

As a Cards fan, I watched Stafford shred the Cards for 4 tds last year including one to Marvin Jones when Peterson was on him (I think Golladay had 3 tds that game, most on Justin Bethel who was awful). The concern with that game is the Cards are so inept against the run and on offense that there may not be passing volume in that game.

Yep, I agree.  It appears to me the Lions coach would rather not have to pass if he doesn’t have to. Other teams are now thinking like this. 

1 hour ago, SonataArctica said:

Youve been questioning Kenny all year despite him really only having 3 unstartable games. I don’t know what your problem is with him, but he’s a high end wr2 almost wr1 that you start most weeks. If the target volume is there that is perfect. Kenny is not the type of wr that gets shutdown, he wins in contested situations.

I play the angel’s advocate to add balance to make people see both sides of the coin, not just the side they want to see. I’m not on these threads to merely say, “this guy is awesome, a sure thing, lock and load.....” and not add substance to the discussion.  If you want me to be a yes man, sorry to disappoint you.....but my wife also wants me to be that too, so you are not alone. 

• Like 1

Just now, TennisMenace said:

I play the angel’s advocate to add balance to make people see both sides of the coin, not just the side they want to see. I’m not on these threads to merely say, “this guy is awesome, a sure thing, lock and load.....” and not add substance to the discussion.  If you want me to be a yes man, sorry to disappoint you.....but my wife also wants me to be that too, so you are not alone. 

I’d like to hear more ideas on how to avoid being a yes man to the Mrs.

• Haha 1

What receivers are consistently getting double digit target share? Golladay seems to be one of those guys now

5 minutes ago, jsch08 said:

What receivers are consistently getting double digit target share? Golladay seems to be one of those guys now

Before the last two weeks, he went three in a row with single digit.  

Even you you have to admit, no Tate and no Jones certainly increased his targets.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TennisMenace said:

Before the last two weeks, he went three in a row with single digit.  

Even you you have to admit, no Tate and no Jones certainly increased his targets.

Sure but Tate is gone and Jones is getting a second opinion on his knee and is week to week. Who knows if he is even effective upon coming back or if it will take a couple weeks

Edited by jsch08

So I’m guessing consensus is that despite Golladay drawing the better CB match up with Jones out, that his target share will win out?

Golladay had a good game against the Bears at CHI, I feel more confident plugging him in cause they’ll be at Detroit. But that was when they still had Jones playing... maybe they double golladay?

6 minutes ago, jsch08 said:

Sure but Tate is gone and Jones is getting a second opinion on his knee and is week to week. Who knows if he is even effective upon coming back or if it will take a couple weeks

You know who shuts down Golladay? Mathew Stafford, that’s who. He’s the entire problem. When he’s running scared behind that terrible offensive line and has decent short options then he ignores KG. This weekend proved he will only throw to Kenny when he’s about the last option on the face of the Earth. Finally, he let Kenny eat. The guy is a stud on a sh* team with a sh* QB.

2 minutes ago, WaiverHero said:

So I’m guessing consensus is that despite Golladay drawing the better CB match up with Jones out, that his target share will win out?

Golladay had a good game against the Bears at CHI, I feel more confident plugging him in cause they’ll be at Detroit. But that was when they still had Jones playing... maybe they double golladay?

Nobody has questioned his ability against top corners. Honestly, he can’t be covered. But you need to evaluate the pass rush. As long as there are no other options for Stafford to throw to then KG will get a ton of targets. But there is no telling what Stafford will do if he gets heavily pressured.

2 minutes ago, FitzMagic said:

You know who shuts down Golladay? Mathew Stafford, that’s who. He’s the entire problem. When he’s running scared behind that terrible offensive line and has decent short options then he ignores KG. This weekend proved he will only throw to Kenny when he’s about the last option on the face of the Earth. Finally, he let Kenny eat. The guy is a stud on a sh* team with a sh* QB.

Stafford has been in the league 10 years and he’s put up stats when the Lions are out of it and they’ve looked like garbage. 

3 minutes ago, FitzMagic said:

Nobody has questioned his ability against top corners. Honestly, he can’t be covered. But you need to evaluate the pass rush. As long as there are no other options for Stafford to throw to then KG will get a ton of targets. But there is no telling what Stafford will do if he gets heavily pressured.

Throw it up to Golladay for 50/50 balls like he did on three of those catches including the last two

On 11/15/2018 at 11:53 PM, abachar said:

Bradberry not a concern?

Who? 

NO

Maybe D town is finally realizing that the best way to win games is to pepper Kenny G with targets! 

What a novel concept, throwing it to the 6 4" guy. 

The catch he made in the end zone was a thing of freaking beauty.

If the target share remains constant, he'll be on teams that win titles. 

6 minutes ago, The Gridiron Assassin said:

Who? 

NO

Maybe D town is finally realizing that the best way to win games is to pepper Kenny G with targets! 

What a novel concept, throwing it to the 6 4" guy. 

The catch he made in the end zone was a thing of freaking beauty.

If the target share remains constant, he'll be on teams that win titles. 

Also the catch before where he does a double move, creates separation and comes back to an underthrown ball with amazing body control.

The catch where bradberry has an interception but golladay rips the bal from him and gets a first down.

The catch where he catches it short of the sticks and makes two tacklers miss, including Luke Kuechly, to pick up the first down.

5 hours ago, TennisMenace said:

Ar you sure about this?

week 12. Bears (?)

week 15 Bills (White)

week 16 (Rhodes)

Yeah that schedule definitely doesn't look the greatest. If Jones comes back though there is a chance he draws some of those top corners and Golladay spends a decent portion of his time in the slot so he'll avoid them that way. I still have a tough time ranking Golladay outside of the top 20 at WR so I imagine he'll be in some playoff lineups especially with where he went in drafts.