Rotoworld.com Forums

Daniel Vogelbach 2018 Outlook

I thought for sure he would have a thread but I didn’t see one. Absolutely crushed spring training.

Led in Average/OBP/Slugging and had 7 HR in 54 AB. Also had 13 BB to 10 K.

Think he will be in the order once in a while and slide in for some pitch hitting to start, but he could offer some serious pop if he got the chance. Was a big fan with the cubs and think he could have a Schwarber like first year - less the catcher eligibility.

Spring training stats mean nothing.  having said that I took a flier on him with my last pick in an AL only draft.  Hes currently behind Cruz and Healy for significant playing time.  If either of them gets hurt or just plain sucks then yes, he will get his chance.   Thinking Cruz is due for injury this year is not necessarily bad strategy (i'm not wishing an injury on the guy, but only recently has he been able to string a few seasons without injury together.  Plus I believe he is 38 this year).

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Didgital said:

I thought for sure he would have a thread but I didn’t see one. Absolutely crushed spring training.

Led in Average/OBP/Slugging and had 7 HR in 54 AB. Also had 13 BB to 10 K.

Think he will be in the order once in a while and slide in for some pitch hitting to start, but he could offer some serious pop if he got the chance. Was a big fan with the cubs and think he could have a Schwarber like first year - less the catcher eligibility.

He doesn't have nearly as much power - 17 HR in 459 PCL ABs last year. In 2016 he had 23 in same ABs, but still in the PCL.

If he had a full time gig there would be some potential here for a useful line, more so in OBP leagues than average leagues. With that being said, not a guy you would consider until there is an injury to Cruz or Healy. The ABs just aren't there and its not like he has sky high potential. There are plenty of other fliers with bigger upside and bigger opportunity.

• 2 weeks later...

I think Vogelbach is a good short term add with some long term potential.  Cruz is currently hurt, but expected to return shortly.  Still, Vogelbach is getting everyday PT until then.  He's started the last two games and gone 4-7 with a BB and 2 RBI.  Watching both games, it certainly looks like he's hitting the ball really hard, even on his outs.  It's only a couple games, but the way he tore up ST makes me wonder if there's fire here.  Deep league guy for now, but this could be the start of something.

I'd also add that Healy may not be a massive stumbling block to Vogelbach getting into the lineup on a regular basis.  It's also possible Cruz can still play a little bit of LF with Healy/Vogelbach at 1B/DH.  There are pathways to playing time if he hits.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, JFS179 said:

I think Vogelbach is a good short term add with some long term potential.  Cruz is currently hurt, but expected to return shortly.  Still, Vogelbach is getting everyday PT until then.  He's started the last two games and gone 4-7 with a BB and 2 RBI.  Watching both games, it certainly looks like he's hitting the ball really hard, even on his outs.  It's only a couple games, but the way he tore up ST makes me wonder if there's fire here.  Deep league guy for now, but this could be the start of something.

I'd also add that Healy may not be a massive stumbling block to Vogelbach getting into the lineup on a regular basis.  It's also possible Cruz can still play a little bit of LF with Healy/Vogelbach at 1B/DH.  There are pathways to playing time if he hits.

I think his best bet for PT is outhitting Healy.

I can't see playing a 38 year old Cruz that's already having leg injuries in the outfield.

Having said that,  there's no reason he can't make 1b a true platoon.

2 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

I can't see playing a 38 year old Cruz that's already having leg injuries in the outfield.

I agree, but I'd also add that Cruz is of an age where things *usually* go south for players.  Father Time is undefeated.  I'm not saying it's the end for Cruz THIS YEAR, but the end will come at some point, whether due to health or ineffectiveness.  He's 38.  Stuff happens at that age that typically doesn't happen to 25 year olds.

7 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

You think his defense is good enough at first to get some time? 

29 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

I have no idea. 

@Cmilne23 might know as an avid Mariners watcher.

He’s awful on D but he should be able to hit his way into PT.  Mariners are quickly becoming the most injury riddled team in sports.  He should find a way to get 500+ at bats I’d imagine if he keeps hitting.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

He’s awful on D but he should be able to hit his way into PT.  Mariners are quickly becoming the most injury riddled team in sports.  He should find a way to get 500+ at bats I’d imagine if he keeps hitting.

I have no idea how Healy's D is at 1B as I haven't watched any of their games, but I know he was a pretty bad 3B, so it's possible he's bad there.  If so, then it would only take Vogelbach out hitting him to stay in the lineup once Cruz is back.

With that said, I wouldn't be surprised if Healy's leash is at least decently long since they picked him up obviously for a reason.

In the end, I picked up Vogelbach yesterday and will use him at least while Cruz is out.  We'll see what happens after Cruz is back as the DH.

On 4/6/2018 at 12:09 PM, Cmilne23 said:

Spot on with Mariners as usual.  Wouldn’t even sweat Healy’s return.  By then someone in Vogelbach’s way will probably get struck by lightening.

• Haha 2
18 minutes ago, papasmurf said:

Profiling like a AAAA player.

Big man can't hit when it counts.

That seems a little harsh given he’s 5/14 with a .471 OBP since he started getting regular PT a week ago. He broke up Junis’ no hit bid last night, and he’s taking a ton of walks. 

He has one walk against 8 ks in 21 ABs, not exactly walking a ton. A few HBPs inflating his OBP. Had two nice 2 hit games on the 4th and 5th. Since then he's 1 for 9 with 5 ks. That one was that infield hit you mentioned vs. Junis.

1 hour ago, JFS179 said:

That seems a little harsh given he’s 5/14 with a .471 OBP since he started getting regular PT a week ago. He broke up Junis’ no hit bid last night, and he’s taking a ton of walks. 

Might be harsh, but what isn't harsh is the fact that he can't hit LHP (small sample size over his career or not).  I've had him on my team a couple of times now, and if I still have him in the future, I won't be putting him in vs. LHP even if he plays.

Not all the missiles got launched in middle of night I guess.  That was an absolute SCUD.  Have to see the exit velo on that.  Big Bod got all his weight into that one.  That was pretty.  

• Like 2