Sign in to follow this  
Packdog

Benjamin Watson 2018 Outlook

with the saints striking out on a reunion with graham they bring back the 37 year young watson for another stint with the team. last year he was productive for the ravens with 61 recs for 522 yards and 4 tds despite coming off the 2016 achilles injury that ended his season that year. last time he was with brees he had the best year of his career in 2015 with 74 recs, 825 yards, and 6 tds. rumors of fleener's release are ramping up leaving hill as the most likely direct competition for watson. watson may not have a lot left but he is a reliable chain mover and has displayed chemistry with brees just two years ago and he is also a year further removed from the achilles tendon tear. not a whole lot of tantalizing upside but for those who wait on te till the end of drafts watson is certainly a name to keep in mind 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Is he available in roto dynasty is the question on most people’s minds?

Edited by petekrum
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Lol thread starter?..or possible sales pitch? 

Maybe youll finally get that 4th rd pick youve been looking for pack ?

It all seriousness, its not a horrible signing. Good depth from a reliable vet. Fleener hasnt been what they had hoped, im sure. Probably not bothering with him for fantasy besides a WW or bye week fill in.

Not a bad fill in for my Henry loss in my dynasty 30 man league. Hopefully him and Breeze still have some connection.

1 hour ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Lol. This guy has a thread? 

As a bargain-basement top-tennish TE, he kinda deserves one...

• Like 1

On 6/19/2018 at 9:47 PM, Axe Elf said:

As a bargain-basement top-tennish TE, he kinda deserves one...

Top ten-ish if this were 2016.  I predict the days of high volume Brees are over because the Saints are winning with their new formula.

3 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Top ten-ish if this were 2016.  I predict the days of high volume Brees are over because the Saints are winning with their new formula.

Still, the TE has always been a big part of the Saints' offense--at least until the Fleener years.  (Maybe that's partly WHY the RBs got more receptions?)

It shouldn't be too hard for Watson to see 50 receptions for 600 yards and 5 TDs in that offense (heck, Fleener had 50 for 631 and 3 TDs)--140 PPR fantasy points would have had him at #11 last season--that's top tennish.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Axe might be correct, once again.  Goes to show what a wasteland TE has become...

On 6/21/2018 at 10:47 AM, SharkSwimmer said:

Top 10 is definitely possible. Competition for targets besides Michael Thomas is the RB, Ginn and Meredith. He could have a lot of TD’s especially in an offense that visits the red zone as much as the Saints. 

18 minutes ago, iretirefromfantasy said:

Anyone starting him? I am a Burton owner and scared of Mitch's play.

I am, as I’m a Olsen owner. (I’m also a burton owner in my other league and I don’t think you should give up on him just yet.)

I’m happy with Watson for the rest of season. I think the expectations I have are fairly low though: he’ll be a TD dependent type who’s floor is likely what we saw last week (4-41).

sadly though, I think that type of floor is much better than most of the TEs outside the top 3. Add in the TD potential the saints have - and I think there’s something not too bad ahead

31 minutes ago, Dr.Funktopus said:

I am, as I’m a Olsen owner. (I’m also a burton owner in my other league and I don’t think you should give up on him just yet.)

I’m happy with Watson for the rest of season. I think the expectations I have are fairly low though: he’ll be a TD dependent type who’s floor is likely what we saw last week (4-41).

sadly though, I think that type of floor is much better than most of the TEs outside the top 3. Add in the TD potential the saints have - and I think there’s something not too bad ahead

I'm a fellow Olsen owner as well. He looked good and is a seasoned vet, good chemistry with Brees. Would you prefer him over the likes of Ebron and other TE's?

3 hours ago, lilremix328 said:

I'm a fellow Olsen owner as well. He looked good and is a seasoned vet, good chemistry with Brees. Would you prefer him over the likes of Ebron and other TE's?

Yes. Other TEs is pretty broad, but I like him over Seals-jones, jonnu Smith, Ian Thomas, any Baltimore TE and the random dude from seattle

those were what I had to choose from

• Like 1

Not seeing a lot of love for this guy this week.  Giants are ranked 27th against TE's so far but I think that's an aberration.  They were horrible against TE's last year and I expect Watson to have a huge game this week.  Think this guy is going to be gold this week in daily and to anyone looking to stream a TE.  He is currently 60% owned in yahoo but that's up 16% over the past day.  Go out and reap the benefits this week in a TE wasteland.

On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 5:48 PM, WoodyInvincible said:

Not seeing a lot of love for this guy this week.  Giants are ranked 27th against TE's so far but I think that's an aberration.  They were horrible against TE's last year and I expect Watson to have a huge game this week.  Think this guy is going to be gold this week in daily and to anyone looking to stream a TE.  He is currently 60% owned in yahoo but that's up 16% over the past day.  Go out and reap the benefits this week in a TE wasteland.

Not sure he's worth rostering.

Yeah, was keeping him as potential bye week cover (20-teamer) but frankly I'd rather have some rando. I thought he was getting enough targets to keep us interested but nope.

Some bumbling around the last 2 weeks with this guy but he should have scored each week (Brees blew the easy throw week 3 & he dropped one week 4). TE a wasteland with all the injuries, so you could do a lot worse than Watson these days, especially with bye weeks going too.

BOO.  Yes Halloween may be over but the TE nightmare bye-week are still here.

Anyone starting him this week?

Set to retire after the season.

https://247sports.com/nfl/new-orleans-saints/Article/Benjamin-Watson-says-hell-retire-after-2018-126910718/

Will the Saints keep rolling out 3 TE's or will there be a prominent/usable TE in this offense next year (e.g. Hill, Arnold)?