fakespike

Austin Ekeler 2018 Outlook

Ekeler has produced standalone flex value in 1/2 or full PPR leagues all season. His lone game starting in relief of Gordon was a strange gameflow one where the Chargers offense was rarely on the field and scored nearly all of their points on long pass plays.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, devaster said:

Ekeler has produced standalone flex value in 1/2 or full PPR leagues all season. His lone game starting in relief of Gordon was a strange gameflow one where the Chargers offense was rarely on the field and scored nearly all of their points on long pass plays.

Can he do it as the lead back, though? On volume alone, he should be an RB2 at least, but can he crack RB1 territory? That is where things become iffy. 

I will not argue game-flow and scoring of the TEN game, but I will point out that his YPC in that game (12 for 42) was over two yards below his career and 2018 season average. That is a tad concerning. I think YPR is a tad more fluky for RBs, but it might also be worth mentioning that the TEN game was well below his career average and was the lowest YPR he has had this season. 

7 minutes ago, Grayson2401 said:

Can he do it as the lead back, though? On volume alone, he should be an RB2 at least, but can he crack RB1 territory? That is where things become iffy. 

I will not argue game-flow and scoring of the TEN game, but I will point out that his YPC in that game (12 for 42) was over two yards below his career and 2018 season average. That is a tad concerning. I think YPR is a tad more fluky for RBs, but it might also be worth mentioning that the TEN game was well below his career average and was the lowest YPR he has had this season. 

I believe he will flirt with RB1 due to the scoring opportunities playing with Rivers. Concerning, but 1 game isn't a trend.

2 minutes ago, devaster said:

I believe he will flirt with RB1 due to the scoring opportunities playing with Rivers. Concerning, but 1 game isn't a trend.

I completely agree abut the sample size. I just thought it was worth pointing out that the game-flow was not the only reason for his pedestrian numbers that week. 

That being said, most COP/receiving backs struggle to maintain efficiency as the lead back (to be expected) and very often struggle as a whole when presented the opportunity. 

If he can score TDs at a clip even close to Melvin, his owners will likely be happy. 

4 hours ago, Grayson2401 said:

Here's good info in this article that states FF owners are in good hands with Ekeler on their teams.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-chargers-are-in-good-hands-with-austin-ekeler-taking-over-for-melvin-gordon  

prediction for Ekeler this week

13-61 rushing

7-78 rec

1 TD

Ekeler is very similar to Lindsay, who just gashed the Steelers, and if the Steelers get in shootout mode, Ekeler will get a ton of catches

Edited by Golden Spikes
  • Like 2

I nabbed him at the beginning of last season in dynasty thinking that he could be a souped up version of Danny Woodhead. I think JJ will play more than people think, but Ekeler's going to have a long audition to prove he can be in the same class with Lindsay and Breida. 

I hate that I dropped him 2 weeks ago in a league for j rodgers of all people. I was able to spend on my faab on gus edwards last week but still this hurts. 

1 hour ago, Golden Spikes said:

prediction for Ekeler this week

13-61 rushing

7-78 rec

1 TD

Ekeler is very similar to Lindsay, who just gashed the Steelers, and if the Steelers get in shootout mode, Ekeler will get a ton of catches

The benefit is that Chargers offense is 10x better than either of those. 

Just thinking out loud, but I am considering picking up a few shares of Justin Jackson as well (dynasty). He got 7 carries vs. the Cards and looked electric on a few of his runs. Good receiver out of the backfield too. 

He was mildly disappointing the last time he started a full game for gordon. Maybe jackson gets a decent share of the carries since eckler is not a large frame. Still think he can be a high rb2/low rb1 but he's not going to fully replace gordon

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, spidybl said:

He was mildly disappointing the last time he started a full game for gordon. Maybe jackson gets a decent share of the carries since eckler is not a large frame. Still think he can be a high rb2/low rb1 but he's not going to fully replace gordon

Sure.  He may get a few carries here and there.  You do realize Jackson 199lbs weighs less than Ekeler 200lbs right?  So basically same weight.  

Ekeler is just shorter 5'10 to Justin 6'0.   In deeper leagues if you can afford it, cuff Jackson to Ekeler.  

• Like 2

How are Ekeler owners feeling about the matchup with the Steelers this week?

Would think this is a fairly high scoring affair.  Not sure I love his prospects on the ground although Lindsay did pretty well against Pitt last week and they're kinda similar.

Could definitely see increased usage in the passing game though and feel better about Ekeler in PPR leagues than standard.

I'm picking between Ekeler and D Cook in one league I lost Gordon and Ekeler or Lindsay in another.  Probably playing Ekeler over Cook but might have to go Lindsay in the other league.

Either way, really glad I've held on to Ekeler all year in both of those leagues.  I just knew something like this would happen with Gordon.

Yeah I would be more worried about Jackson if he was a bigger dude...he is just a taller scatback so neither should get goal line carries

13 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

Yeah I would be more worried about Jackson if he was a bigger dude...he is just a taller scatback so neither should get goal line carries

Ekeler just had a 2yd TD on 1st down after Gordon went out last game. 

Win and In. F U Bell. Ekeler is a must own in a PPR. He was a decent flex. He's not going to receive less touches. And Gordon would get plenty of receptions. Rivers is notorious for checking it down. Start him as long as Gordon is sidelined with exuberance. The chargers are probably going to win this game 27 to 24

I dont feel great about the spot as PIT is 10 in schedule adjusted fantasy points allowed to RBs, but, I think he can be like a Danny Woodhead in what could be a high scoring game, with LAC projected to be playing from behind, he could soak up targets from Phil. 

37 minutes ago, MayorMcCheese said:

Ekeler just had a 2yd TD on 1st down after Gordon went out last game. 

CMac is 5'11 205 lbs.  

27 minutes ago, RonnieRonaldo said:

I dont feel great about the spot as PIT is 10 in schedule adjusted fantasy points allowed to RBs, but, I think he can be like a Danny Woodhead in what could be a high scoring game, with LAC projected to be playing from behind, he could soak up targets from Phil. 

Ekeler is game script proof. 

• Like 2

On 11/27/2018 at 12:58 AM, theSPANKER said:

Sure.  He may get a few carries here and there.  You do realize Jackson 199lbs weighs less than Ekeler 200lbs right?  So basically same weight.  

Ekeler is just shorter 5'10 to Justin 6'0.   In deeper leagues if you can afford it, cuff Jackson to Ekeler.  

Yeah. He reminds me a lot of OJ Simpson.

I'm feeling good about him over Golladay and J White in flex.

Been holding and hoping.  Glad to have another solid RB emerge as James White has really dropped off.  

Definitely trending to be a better version of Lindsay without competition as long as the offense keeps up the production 

• Like 2