fakespike

Austin Ekeler 2018 Outlook

Ekeler is a great bye week/flex guy but he’s unowned in my 12 person PPR league.  We have a short benches so he bounces around...

People generally prefer guys like Hines, Cohen, Carson, Jones, Mack hoping for a stable RB2.

I like Ekeler, but I probably wouldn’t start him.  If I had Gordon I’d probably keep him as a high end cuff...

Also, the declining catches is concerning.  I look for guys that put up 15 points as starters.  He’s reliably below that.

WK OPP RUATT RUYD RUTD TAR RECPT REYD RETD FPTS
*1 KC 5 39 0 5 5 87 1 23.6
*2 @BUF 11 77 0 3 3 21 0 12.8
*3 @LAR 4 47 0 3 3 24 0 9.1
*4 SF 8 25 0 3 2 31 1 13.6
*5 OAK 6 15 0 3 1 44 1 12.9

(no flex with RBs, just WR/TE’s league)

1 hour ago, seanismorris said:

Ekeler is a great bye week/flex guy but he’s unowned in my 12 person PPR league.  We have a short benches so he bounces around...

People generally prefer guys like Hines, Cohen, Carson, Jones, Mack hoping for a stable RB2.

I like Ekeler, but I probably wouldn’t start him.  If I had Gordon I’d probably keep him as a high end cuff...

Also, the declining catches is concerning.  I look for guys that put up 15 points as starters.  He’s reliably below that.

WK OPP RUATT RUYD RUTD TAR RECPT REYD RETD FPTS
*1 KC 5 39 0 5 5 87 1 23.6
*2 @BUF 11 77 0 3 3 21 0 12.8
*3 @LAR 4 47 0 3 3 24 0 9.1
*4 SF 8 25 0 3 2 31 1 13.6
*5 OAK 6 15 0 3 1 44 1 12.9

(no flex with RBs, just WR/TE’s league)

That’s pretty shocking he’s ranked 16th in my 0.5 ppr league. Yeah he’s firmly planted on my bench and we do have a decent sized bench (not sure about your league) but I would never think of dropping him and I don’t own Gordon.

1 hour ago, Bob69024 said:

That’s pretty shocking he’s ranked 16th in my 0.5 ppr league. Yeah he’s firmly planted on my bench and we do have a decent sized bench (not sure about your league) but I would never think of dropping him and I don’t own Gordon.

He’s 15th in full PPR.  I only have 3 RBs at the moment, with Cohen as my bench/bye week guy.

Peple tend to pick up and hold the inferior “starters” over superior backups, hoping for upside...

I generally start with 4 RBs, and move to 3 as the season goes on.  I’ve been trying to flip WR Allison + Cohen but no takers.

People have been holding fast to all the injured RBs.  Ekeler can win people individual weeks, but he won’t be good enough come playoffs.

If Cohen flops this week, I’ll probably pick up Ekeler.  The RB bye weeks are approaching fast...

• Like 1

As I've been saying, he's not a flex option.  He's an elite handcuff - probably the best handcuff in fantasy - but he's not getting the usage to start.  

He's droppable in most formats and/or leagues with small benches.  With only 5 bench slots, I have better things than to gamble on a Gordon injury.  

3 minutes ago, Rainyy said:

As I've been saying, he's not a flex option.  He's an elite handcuff - probably the best handcuff in fantasy - but he's not getting the usage to start.  

He's droppable in most formats and/or leagues with small benches.  With only 5 bench slots, I have better things than to gamble on a Gordon injury.  

you drop a guy who is top 20 rb in scoring?

hes a flex start in PPR leagues easily, especially with byes.

I mean yes hes a risk, but you have guys in my league starting guys like Alf Morris, Aaron Jones, Bilal Powell, Marlon Mack, Lamar Miller, Mccoy, Dion Lewis.

all these guys you are just hoping for a lucky score and 40-50 yards, Ekeler is just as good of a bet as any of them

twice this year I started Gordon and Ekeler

9 minutes ago, Rainyy said:

RB33 this week in 1/2 PPR where he didn't even see any targets because the game was so out of hand. At least he won't totally bust during a bad week like Amari, Crowell, or Corey Davis.

Remains a reliable RB3/flex in PPR leagues. And an elite handcuff as you said. He has immense value because he is a flexable handcuff on one of the best offenses in the league.

14 minutes ago, Rainyy said:

Who exactly are you picking up to start over him?

He's shown his floor in standard leagues is 5 points and has scored double digits in three of six weeks. That's pretty good in most leagues. 

3 hours ago, rylaughlin said:

He's shown his floor in standard leagues is 5 points and has scored double digits in three of six weeks. That's pretty good in most leagues. 

The usage is concerning.

Ekeler had 7 carries and 0 targets.  Never in the history of fantasy has someone averaged flexworthy numbers on that kind of usage - unless maybe a dedicated goal line back.

Ekeler is not going to average 9 YPC every week.  I could easily see him having a few weeks with 2-3 points. 

No way I'm dropping him right now. Not playing him but not dropping.

Not sure why they didn't play him more and rest Gordon when they had the game in hand. That was a bit concerning. This weekend should give a better picture of what to expect ROS. 

• Like 1

I can not say I know what the chargers coaches are thinking but at some point if the chargers are going to make a playoff push would they not do a 60 40 in favor of gordon? If ekeler can ever get 40 percent of the work constantly with his talent that will be a top 24 rb with top 16 upside most weeks. I own shares (where I do not own melvin gordon) and no way am I even thinking of dropping him. Sadly where I had ajayi and royce freeman and aaron jones ekeler is my rb2 now in that league (picked 12 and 13 so all the good rb were gone.

10 hours ago, ilovepelas said:

I can not say I know what the chargers coaches are thinking but at some point if the chargers are going to make a playoff push would they not do a 60 40 in favor of gordon? If ekeler can ever get 40 percent of the work constantly with his talent that will be a top 24 rb with top 16 upside most weeks. I own shares (where I do not own melvin gordon) and no way am I even thinking of dropping him. Sadly where I had ajayi and royce freeman and aaron jones ekeler is my rb2 now in that league (picked 12 and 13 so all the good rb were gone.

Um, why would they do that? They are winning games and currently working on a playoff push. Don’t fix what ain’t broken 

Gordon's a freaking stud. Ekeler is a nice Chris Thompson like player right now. Gordon goes down, ekeler vaults to top-12 no question. Don't think he will carry the load but his receiving prowess is excellent.  He has standalone value already and can be started every week in ppr. Just traded for him as a Gordon owner and I feel incredible peace of mind. The titans suck and might get run all over by a top-5 rushing attack this weekend. Not out of question to start both again this weekend.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

Gordon's a freaking stud. Ekeler is a nice Chris Thompson like player right now. Gordon goes down, ekeler vaults to top-12 no question. Don't think he will carry the load but his receiving prowess is excellent.  He has standalone value already and can be started every week in ppr. Just traded for him as a Gordon owner and I feel incredible peace of mind. The titans suck and might get run all over by a top-5 rushing attack this weekend. Not out of question to start both again this weekend.

Those 2 fumbles hurt. Was surprised to see him not catch a pass though but then again, LAC were up big. 7/60 8.6 YPC though. Dude remains electric. Just needs more playing time.

2 hours ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

He has standalone value already and can be started every week in ppr. 

He has three receptions in the last 3 weeks.  Three.  One reception per week.  

He's been completely big play dependent for a while now.  And we're going to see regression in those big plays.    

I wouldn't ever consider starting him and I only play in 14-team leagues.  

1 hour ago, Rainyy said:

He has three receptions in the last 3 weeks.  Three.  One reception per week.  

He's been completely big play dependent for a while now.  And we're going to see regression in those big plays.    

I wouldn't ever consider starting him and I only play in 14-team leagues.  

But 2 TDs. Isn't that part of his inherent value? He's got a nose for the end zone. Can't cherry pick stats when it favors your opinion. 

2 hours ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

But 2 TDs. Isn't that part of his inherent value? He's got a nose for the end zone. Can't cherry pick stats when it favors your opinion. 

A nose for the end zone? Don’t extrapolate stats when there is no basis for that extrapolation and a microscopic sample size.

Gordon is the goal line back.  So basically you’re expecting Ekeler, on his very limited touches, to continue to make big plays to get into the end zone.

That’s a risky gamble.

Edited by Rainyy

Feeling giddy. With the bye next week maybe they sit Melvin this week. there's also the chance that Melvin is not ruled out  but Ek gets more snaps.

Gordon was just downgraded on a Saturday before a game they play at 630 am on a crappy field 

fire up eckeler even if mg3 is active

Never want to wish an injury to any player but I knew MG wouldn’t hold up. He’s been getting massive workloads. Was only a matter of time. 

Looks like I’ll have to get up at 6am pacific time to see if Ekeler is getting the start for my team this week. He’s been electric all year, except last week when he got his first start