JFS179

Mar/April Closer Thread 2018

9 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

I'm not saying a typical Hand performance last night erases the horrible game he had the day before or his other one this season, but I still can see why somebody would think he doesn't belong on that list right after seeing him be more typical Hand.

Also, including him being a southpaw on your list is meaningless.  Chapman would disagree, and Rivero may be a young Chapman.  Hand did indeed have 2 rough outings, and Yates has become a solid setup man, but Hand understandably has the confidence of the manager and went out and thanked him for it by closing the game out the very next day.  I would say the seat is basically room temperature.

Southpaw comment was stating that he may not have as much leash as a conventional right-hander.  My point is less to Hand's handedness (no pun intended) & struggles, despite the fact that his velocity is down a bit this year, and more so directed at how good Yates has been.  His swinging strike rate last year ranked 4th behind the likes of Kimbrel and Jansen at 17.4%  His 29.9 K-BB% and 38% strikeout mark ranked 7th among all arms.  If Hand were to falter or have an underlying injury/fatigue, he seems more than capable of handling the lead chair.  Its only April, but thats what makes future closer forecasting interesting.

Just had to catch up on the last 6 pages since I was out all day yesterday. I'm rooting for Albers to take the closer job in Milwaukee and run with it for the next six weeks. Why? Just to watch this thread go into complete meltdown. :lol:

I don't believe he will, but it would be hysterical. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

Our first of many Treinen wrecks this season.  All unearned I know, but this dude BLOWS!

It is easy to be enamored with high 90s velocity with movement.  Doesn't matter though if a pitcher does not have control.

He will probably be out of the closer role by July.

3 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Any other thoughts or insights on Middleton?

Only the same as Rotoworld’s—Middleton was warming up for the save last night before Angels put up an extra run. Seems like he’s the closer...for now.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Only the same as Rotoworld’s—Middleton was warming up for the save last night before Angels put up an extra run. Seems like he’s the closer...for now.

This is the best kind of indicator that he's the closer in that it flies under the radar better than if he got the save.  Can pick him up with less FAAB usually... 

Not really providing anything insightful here, but the Morrow situation is so bizarre.

Can't imagine there's been a recent, active, healthy pitcher that has gone this long without recording an out.

At this point, I honestly might bench him, just cause I can't imagine he'll be sharp whenever he pitches again.

Did anyone see or hear who was warming up for the 10th for the Brewers? Might give some insight on how much confidence Counsel has in Albers...  I think there is a higher chance it's Albers than most here... I bought Barnes but it might not be him. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, kittenmittons said:

Did anyone see or hear who was warming up for the 10th for the Brewers? Might give some insight on how much confidence Counsel has in Albers...  I think there is a higher chance it's Albers than most here... I bought Barnes but it might not be him. 

That was yesterday 

Today is a brand new day 

Barnes is the man

Does anyone have any opinions or Matt Albers, maybe cite some stats from the last year or last couple years to illustrate your position?

• Haha 2

Just now, TopChuckie said:

Does anyone have any opinions or Matt Albers, maybe cite some stats from the last year or last couple years to illustrate your position?

There was a ton of that over the last few pages. It’s all there my man. Just read.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bigbluecrew56 said:

Familia looks primed for a 50 save year. 

Be honest, you don't really believe that, do you ?

Cardinals Leone just pitched the 6th inning with the team leading 5-2. no one expects him to close once Holland is there, but he isn't even closing right now.

2 hours ago, 89Topps said:

Not really providing anything insightful here, but the Morrow situation is so bizarre.

Can't imagine there's been a recent, active, healthy pitcher that has gone this long without recording an out.

At this point, I honestly might bench him, just cause I can't imagine he'll be sharp whenever he pitches again.

The worst part is we still don't have any clue how he looks.  At least if he was bad we would have that to go off of.

10 minutes ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Norris getting a shot to close out the game. 

Maybe still a bit of time there before Holland comes up...

Did the Rotoworld blurb guy forget the Cards signed Holland?

Bud Norris struck out the side while allowing one hit in a scoreless ninth inning in a win over the Diamondbacks to secure his first save of the season.

With the Cards leading 5-3 heading into the ninth inning, Norris came on to strike out Nick Ahmed swinging, David Peralta looking and then -- following a Ketel Marte double -- Paul Goldschmidt looking to end the contest. The right-hander has struck out seven batters in his four innings of work this season and has yet to allow a run to touch home on his watch. He's not the team's closer outright, as Dominic Leone and Tyler Lyons are both additionally going to see their chances. Luke Gregerson (hamstring) could also enter the late-inning fray before the month is out if he can keep on his current rehab course.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Topgun said:

Be honest, you don't really believe that, do you ?

If he stays healthy all year i do. This Mets team is built to win a lot of close games. He's done it before you know. Prior to his injury riddled year he had 51 and 43 respectively. 

Edited by bigbluecrew56
  • Like 2

50 saves takes a lot of good luck for anybody, but I do like what we're seeing from Familia. He seems to have regained his old form and put to rest any talk of a Mets committee for now.

Barnes warming in the Brewers pen for the potential save opp

• Like 2