JFS179

Mar/April Closer Thread 2018

1 hour ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Barnes and Albers both get infield-singled to death in their save opps. Gotta work on that infield. 

Not that it really changes much, but the infield didn't really do anything wing either.

One ground ball, Albers kind of barred down, preventing the S from making a play.

The bunt was just flawless.  

Giles is the guy...unless it's lefties, or Hinch likes the inning that Peacock just pitched, or if Devenski is rolling.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thinking Holland is a sit until we see him put up a solid inning.  I can see them giving him work at the first opportunity (i.e., non-save opportunity) and it being less than desirable before he dials it in.

Edited by AHF

1 minute ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Hirano getting the save opportunity tonight.

We sure he will pitch the ninth?  (Maybe my stream is behind but I am showing him pitching the 8th).

Hirano's struggles are going to leave Box the heart of the order (assuming ARI doesn't put up 3 or more runs in the top).

Bradley warming in the pen for the 9th according to the Dbacks announcers 

Just checking - are we all in agreement that the Angels bullpen usage strongly suggests Middleton is the closer?

Since Middleton relieved Parker for the save last week...

- Middleton was going to come in for the save on Friday night until the Angels turned a 3 run lead into a 4 run lead.

- Middleton was used in the 8th and 9th inning during a tie game while at home (meaning no save opportunity would be provided).

- Parker was used in the 8th inning tonight with a 5 run lead tonight. In his previous appearance was used with the Angels trailing by several runs.

- Bedrosian has been used all over the place, including in the 9th with a 5-run lead tonight.

Edited by ReyesMurphyWright
  • Like 1

So what this save opportunity for Bradley suggests is that the Diamondbacks simply want to use him as their highest leverage relief pitcher. Which means that sometimes he will be called in for the save.

Refreshing from a real-life baseball perspective.

Edited by ReyesMurphyWright
  • Like 3

Bradley in for the save. Guess they wanted to give Boxberger the night off... he has worked a lot recently. 

4 minutes ago, ReyesMurphyWright said:

Just checking - are we all in agreement that the Angels bullpen usage strongly suggests Middleton is the closer?

Since Middleton relieved Parker for the save last week...

- Middleton was going to come in for the save on Friday night until the Angels turned a 3 run lead into a 4 run lead.

- Middleton was used in the 8th and 9th inning during a tie game while at home (meaning no save opportunity would be provided).

- Parker was used in the 8th inning tonight with a 5 run lead tonight. In his previous appearance was used with the Angels trailing by several runs.

- Bedrosian has been used all over the place, including in the 9th with a 5-run lead tonight.

I'm thinking so. I might be dropping Parker. Part of me is just hoping it's Scoscia being Scoscia

1 minute ago, ReyesMurphyWright said:

So what this save opportunity for Bradley suggests is that the Diamondbacks simply want to use him as their highest leverage relief pitcher. Which means that sometimes he will be called in for the save.

Refreshing from a real-life baseball perspective.

Box has worked 3 out of the last 4 nights. Tonight would've been 4 out of 5. Think it's just a matter of wanting to give him a day... especially since he's been great so far in the role. 

• Like 2

14 (15?) consecutive fastballs between 94 and 96 mph.  If you have the gas, might as well throw it.  Got the save.

Edited by AHF

Just now, absknicks said:

Box has worked 3 out of the last 4 nights. Tonight would've been 4 out of 5. Think it's just a matter of wanting to give him a day... especially since he's been great so far in the role. 

Ahh okay, missed that. You're probably right that it's just a rest thing then.

Wish more teams would actually do what I suggested though. :P

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, absknicks said:

He had the 6th and 7th off.  

Edited by Tugginroot
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, street sharks said:

I'm thinking so. I might be dropping Parker. Part of me is just hoping it's Scoscia being Scoscia

both parker and bedrosian suck

1 minute ago, Tugginroot said:

He had the 6th and 7th off.  Worked the last two days.

Yeah, my bad. Didn't notice that the 6th was an off day for the Dbacks. Still has worked quite a bit recently. On the TV broadcast they said Lovullo mentioned he was going to be careful with Boxberger early on in the season, so I assume that's what it is. If it's something else or something injury related, I'm sure we'll hear about it in the postgame. 

he has worked a lot lately but he did get 2 days off between his last outing and the one before it. So it is not correct to say he's pitched 3 of the last 4 nights.

He pitched april 2nd, 4th, 5th, and 8th. No reason for him to be unavailable tonight.

This, coupled with his 3 MPH drop last time out, has me very nervous.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tugginroot said:

He had the 6th and 7th off.  

Yeah, I don't think this was a rest-his-arm thing. He pitched last night but he came into tonight having pitched one of the last three days. No reason he shouldn't have been able to work tonight. Maybe we'll have some clarity from the Dbacks soon.