JFS179

Mar/April Closer Thread 2018

Yeah, I’m just box score scouting, but Colome gets a ground out, 407’ HR to center, and a walk before ending the game on a “line out.”

That’s not confidence inspiring. 

• Like 1

Curious why they went back to the well of Colome given he was pitching on 3rd day in a row with poor showings.   Where's Romo and Alvarez?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Magoo said:

No one, and I mean no one, will trade for Romo. 

Why not?

Just now, 9703 said:

Why not?

No value outside of half (or less than half) a season.  

1 hour ago, TrueToTheBlue said:

Jesus, so still Colome's gig? I mean I guess he did still record the save but still...

Yeah,  it is still his gig.  But he's a ticking time bomb unless he starts pitching better. 

Someone previously mentioned that he's just become a cutter pumper.

39 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

Yeah,  it is still his gig.  But he's a ticking time bomb unless he starts pitching better. 

Someone previously mentioned that he's just become a cutter pumper.

That was me. No FB/SL combo anymore. Just junk cutters. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, loro1991 said:

This is the factor I have in mind. But if Greene falters and loses the role/trade value before the trade deadline, what choice do they have? If they move Jiminez into the role, he has upside/youth/cheap contract, couldn't he become the guy they flip at the deadline instead? He would have to be really good for the value they comp to be worth a trade, but will Jiminez really be a part of the next competitive tigers team if they hold him? I could see it going either way, just a thought. Turning high leverage relievers into trade value is one of the easiest/most efficient ways for rebuilding teams to accumulate talent. Have to assume somethings going to give in both Det and Tampa. Colome/Alvarado are the same exact situation as Greene/Jiminez.

Tigers have already shown willingness with Justin Wilson trade. The Yankee's solidified this trend with how quickly they were able to rebuild just by moving two relievers. 

Big difference is this: those two relievers the Yankees traded were Aroldis Chapman and Andrew Miller.  Elite difference makers.  

Greene and Jimenez wouldn't bring even anything remotely close.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, RTW10 said:

Save for Madson.  Anyone know why Doolittle didn't pitch?

Wasn’t a save opp to start the inning (4-0). Solis came out, got in a little trouble, & Madson got up and ready to clean it up. No worries. 

• Like 1

That Mets pen is getting a ton of work protecting close leads and doing a nice job! Even without Swarzak...

Brewers have a save opportunity... Counsel just left Williams who pitched the 8th in. He walked the first batter and Barnes and Jnnings are both up in the pen. 

Edit

Here comes Barnes. 

Edited by kittenmittons

Barnes is going to blow this.  First pitch is wild, runner in 3rd now,  one out. 

At least he will clear a roster spot for a different spec closer.  Knebel coming back later on anyways. 

Edit 

Barnes blows it on his 2nd wild pitch.  

Drop time 

Edited by kittenmittons

1 minute ago, kittenmittons said:

Barnes is going to blow this.  First pitch is wild, runner in 3rd now,  one out. 

At least he will clear a roster spot for a different spec closer.  Knebel coming back later on anywaysm

Two wild pitches

Here comes Rodney, at least he has a 3 lead. Sqeaky bum time

Edited by triggerlips

I think any earlier concerns about Brad Hand are an afterthought.  2 days, 2 pretty easy saves.

Was at the Phillies game tonight and in the bottom of the 8th when it was still 2-1, Neris was warming in the pen. It looked like had Kingery not hit that slam that Neris would have gotten the save opportunity. Kapler may have said closer by committee, but it isn't shaking out that way.

• Like 5

Those two wild pitches look suspicious. I bet Barnes has Albers on his fantasy team. 

p.s. after two wild pitches, he strikes out one and induced one weak grounder..  hmmm

Edited by ctrlsoul

Hader is a lefty and all, but it's gotta be him eventually. Barnes and Albers are pretty lousy.

They make Rodney look like Rollie Fingers.

Edited by papasmurf
  • Like 1

Dan Jennings is going to get a save opp for the Brewers I'd guess...  That will muddy the waters further if he does get it and he converts since he was mentioned as a possibility with the other 3 in the committee Counsel mentioned...

Jennings is a lefty though so I doubt they would really use him as closer.  They don't want Hader as a LOOGY.

Edited by kittenmittons