JFS179

Mar/April Closer Thread 2018

Jeffress feels like a desperation attempt but would not be shocked if Albers blows it. Just don't feel good about Barnes chances of converting saves either. 

9 hours ago, loro1991 said:

Jeffress feels like a desperation attempt but would not be shocked if Albers blows it. Just don't feel good about Barnes chances of converting saves either. 

Good man.  I’m just going to say I have no frickin clue what’s going on in Milwaukee right now.  If you can hold people involved, do so.   For instance, Barnes in line for a W right now.

This is starting to remind me of the Texas bullpen last year.  I think I had 5 or 6 of them rostered and non panned out. I'm just going to avoid the situation.  The play might be to try and get Knebel on the cheap while he's on the DL.

oh god the brewers would bust out Hoover right as I'm wondering if Jeffress is worth a desperation claim

Do not pick up Hoover.

• Like 2

well this is good, no one had intention of picking up Hoover and now the Brewers are going to be even more inclined to figure out the 9th inning

Me this afternoon: “One thing I love about great middle relievers is the spectacular ratios and occasionally vulturing a Save or Win - like Steckenrider is about t-oh thanks Barraclaugh.” 

Me this evening: “Having Barnes may not get me a ton of saves, but he gives me spectacular ratios and look at this Win he’s about to pick u-oh thanks Hoover.”

Me now: “I will never read the Rotoworld forum Closer thread ever again. It gets my hopes up only to dash them to pieces in the end”

*immediately checks Rotoworld forum Closer thread

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Started at 92 and 91 with Lucroy for the strikeout.  Down to consistently 89 mph vs Piscotty.  

Gets save but that's concerning.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Honestly, Brewers bullpen is a complete MESS. What are they now, 0/4 on save opportunities since Knebel has been out? And honestly doesn't look much promising moving forward with Barnes, Albers, etc.

They need to make HADER the closer. Why? Simple, he is the only who can do it. This isn't an Andrew Miller situation where you also have another strong RP like Cody Allen who can also close. Even Andrew Miller was always the closer unless the team had another reliable option (Chapman, Allen). Do we see any reliable options on the Brewers with Knebel out? No one else can close in Milwaukee and unless the team wants to keep seeing these 9th inning meltdowns, they need to put their best reliever in the 9th inning. There is a reason why almost every team does this. The Brewers cannot continue like this.

Edited by terminator10
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, terminator10 said:

Honestly, Brewers bullpen is a complete MESS. What are they now, 0/4 on save opportunities since Knebel has been out? And honestly doesn't look much promising moving forward with Barnes, Albers, etc.

They need to make HADER the closer. Why? Simple, he is the only who can do it. This isn't an Andrew Miller situation where you also have another strong RP like Cody Allen who can also close. Even Andrew Miller was always the closer unless the team had another reliable option (Chapman, Allen). Do we see any reliable options on the Brewers with Knebel out? No one else can close in Milwaukee and unless the team wants to keep seeing these 9th inning meltdowns, they need to put their best reliever in the 9th inning. There is a reason why almost every team does this. The Brewers cannot continue like this.

So I take it that you have Hader on your roster?

2 minutes ago, reichl555 said:

So I take it that you have Hader on your roster?

I also have Barnes and Albers. But dropping them 2 today maybe tomorrow.

Edited by terminator10

Didn't watch the game, and commentary on here is questionable. Unbiased opinion on how Barnes pitched? Not the result, but if he pitched well or not. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mavsfan23 said:

Didn't watch the game, and commentary on here is questionable. Unbiased opinion on how Barnes pitched? Not the result, but if he pitched well or not. 

He spiked two pitches so bad the catcher had barely any chance of blocking them. 

Blew the save in 3 pitches without the bat touching the ball since runner on 2nd.  

He looked like garbage. 

8 hours ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Who’s coming in for the Brewer save opp?

8 hours ago, kittenmittons said:

It's Hoover.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, terminator10 said:

I can understand the Brewers wanting to keep Hader's versatility available in a multi inning role.  If he was relegated to stopper, then the arms currently imploding (Albers, Barnes, Hoover) would be leveraged in potential multi inning roles, as a bridge to get to Hader, which could prove equally  detrimental. 

The dark horse for saves in Milwaukee, who could thrive if given the opportunity, and has (successful) closer experience is Jeffress.  Not sure why they continue to use him in lower-leverage situations when behind Hader, he is the best RP they have on the active roster.  He even added a tick to his fastball during his last outing, averaging around 95.  

With more of a proven track record, he's at least worth a look with the other options faltering as badly as they are!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Waker said:

Started at 92 and 91 with Lucroy for the strikeout.  Down to consistently 89 mph vs Piscotty.  

Gets save but that's concerning.

True, but I guess at this point you almost have to be happy as long as he pitches good regardless of the velocity.  I'm not saying it wouldn't be nice for it to get back up to normal consistently, but as long as his cutter is moving like it should instead of the occasional straight one from his first couple of outings, then he will probably still be effective.

On 4/6/2018 at 4:58 PM, kidtwentytwo said:

Milwauker has tire fire written all over it.  I’d probably just add Barnes and if he doesn’t work out oh well.  I think hader is forced into the closer role eventually.  Jmo

Still sticking with this (and keeping Milwauker).  

Silly question, is JJ Hoover the worst closer of all time? 6 converted saves out of 23 chances and most blown in grandiose fashion.  

Just now, kidtwentytwo said:

Still sticking with this (and keeping Milwauker).  

Silly question, is JJ Hoover the worst closer of all time? 6 converted saves out of 23 chances and most blown in grandiose fashion.  

Jumbo Diaz would like a word ... although idk if he was ever designated as the guy.  Not sure Hoover ever was either.  That Cinci pen from a few years ago was trash.

18 minutes ago, JFS179 said:

Jumbo Diaz would like a word ... although idk if he was ever designated as the guy.  Not sure Hoover ever was either.  That Cinci pen from a few years ago was trash.

A far cry from the 90s Nasty Boys: Randy Myers, Norm Charlton and Rob Dibble.

• Like 1

Shawn Chacon was a pretty horrible closer back in the day.  Can't believe he made it through essentially an entire season in that role with an ERA over 7.