JFS179

Mar/April Closer Thread 2018

You know it was a bad day around the league for closers when no one complains about Giles giving up a run in a non-save situation.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Giving thanks to the THREAD for the Strickland and Kela info..I scooped them up and we may have a Strickland sighting here soon. 

Best thread on the internet by the way..

Edited by Redphan

1 minute ago, Redphan said:

Giving thanks to the THREAD for the Strickland info..I scooped him up and we may have a sighting here soon. 

Best thread on the internet by the way..

Great thread, however don’t be so quick to say thanks.  He could easily take a blow torch to your ratios.

Edited by Cmilne23

Jacob Barnes might be a sneaky pickup in deep leagues. Knebel walks a TON of dudes, and the Brewers have playoff aspirations this year. I’m not sure he’s got as long a leash as the industry thinks, and Hader looks like the fireman. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 96mnc said:

This dude is done.

Yep. Fork sticking out of Melancon’s back. 

[Guys - keep the play by play in the Game Day Thread]

• Like 1

Strickland looked good!

• Like 1

Strickland converts. Nothing hit hard, including the Kemp single. Might be a fun ride this year. 

• Like 3

Strickland looked good. Grounder got through the hole the first batter he faced but it wasn’t wasn’t hit all that hard. Struck out the next batter. Got a pop up. And another grounder to close it. Good location and looked calm after the first guy got on. Nice start.

Edited by hangin n wangin
  • Like 1

Strickland is in a great position while Melancon is on the shelf-great manager, defense, and especially an elite catcher  calling the plays! I like it 

By what date will Addison Reed be the official closer in Minny?

Late April? Mid May? June 1st?

Minny is pretty good and they are aiming high this year. They're not gonna put up with Rodney for long. I'll say May 4th.

What do you all think?

Edited by nittanychris
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, nittanychris said:

By what date will Addison Reed be the official closer in Minny?

Late April? Mid May? June 1st?

Minny is pretty good and they are aiming high this year. They're not gonna put up with Rodney for long. I'll say May 4th.

What do you all think?

Feel like every year Godney has doubters and every year Godney smites them with his arrows of swift justice.

• Like 7

They just handed him a substantial one-year contract to close- a very un-Twins-like move.  If it happens, it will require several blown saves and won’t happen before the ASB barring injury.

• Like 1

If Rodney’s done you’ll find out early.  Joe Nathan & K-Rod are all timer closers but eventually hit the wall.  If he gets through April, which is usually his worst month, he’ll be ok.  

Brad Brach probably has a short lease but he's still the closer for now.  Givens or O'Day will be next in line. 

11 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

If Rodney’s done you’ll find out early.  Joe Nathan & K-Rod are all timer closers but eventually hit the wall.  If he gets through April, which is usually his worst month, he’ll be ok.  

Krod was 35, Rodney is 41. There is just no way in my mind

Edited by loro1991

1 minute ago, loro1991 said:

Krod was 35, Rodney is 41

Rodney is still throwing mid 90s with movement.  K-ROD was barely hitting 85 last year. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, CorreaTown said:

How quickly do we see Reed taking over for Rodney?

Seems like a solid bet.

Doubt the Rodney Experience at the risk of your own sanity.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, verycoolnin said:

Rodney is still throwing mid 90s with movement.  K-ROD was barely hitting 85 last year. 

Very good point, I still just can't see this lasting long. We would be putting Rodney in some absurd percentile of players to have success as old as he is. And he has been unreliable for so long as is

16 minutes ago, verycoolnin said:

Brad Brach probably has a short lease but he's still the closer for now.  Givens or O'Day will be next in line. 

Wasn't Showalter quoted as saying Brach and O'Day would share closing duties until Britton comes back? At the time everyone said "yeah, whatever, Brach closed last year so it'll be him." But given that Brach blew his first one, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Showalter come back with O'Day next time. 

Ah yes, the ol' closer thread. I've missed scrolling through multiple pages laughing at all the blowups. Thankfully, I dodged a bullet today. Tomorrow? Probably not.

It's nice to be back, fellas.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, loro1991 said:

Very good point, I still just can't see this lasting long. We would be putting Rodney in some absurd percentile of players to have success as old as he is. And he has been unreliable for so long as is

We've been saying the same thing for 7-8 years now 

• Like 1