JFS179

Mar/April Closer Thread 2018

54 minutes ago, JFS179 said:

http://www.tbo.com/blogs/rays/tommy-hunters-breakout-year-anchors-rays-bullpen/2329990

Performance + Explanation for Performance + Fat Contract = Worthy Speculative Pick (especially at the cost of a DL slot)

I'm not saying he's not worth a spec add. I'm just saying I don't know how much I trust him or believe in him if he gets a shot. 

I’m sure I’m gonna get blasted for asking this question but why exactly was there no save awarded last night in the Mets game? They had a 3 run lead why would the last RP that pitched for the Mets not get credit for a save?  I don’t understand :rolleyes:

8 minutes ago, 6Kill said:

I’m sure I’m gonna get blasted for asking this question but why exactly was there no save awarded last night in the Mets game? They had a 3 run lead why would the last RP that pitched for the Mets not get credit for a save?  I don’t understand :rolleyes:

Because Ramos came in with 1 out already in the 9th.  He faced 2 batters in a 3 run game.  No save.  Had Blevins finished the inning, he would have gotten the save.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 6Kill said:

Unless the pitcher starts the 9th inning with a 3 run lead, then the last pitcher has to come in with the tying run in the on deck circle. So, once Blevins got the first out, had he allowed a baserunner before Ramos came in (thus making the ondeck hitter the potential typing run), Ramos would have been eligible for the save.

2 minutes ago, oswald737 said:

Unless the pitcher starts the 9th inning with a 3 run lead, then the last pitcher has to come in with the tying run in the on deck circle. So, once Blevins got the first out, had he allowed a baserunner before Ramos came in (thus making the ondeck hitter the potential typing run), Ramos would have been eligible for the save.

Okay and then last digression here, would it have mattered if it was the SP who had started the inning? Like if Wheeler had gone 8 2/3 and then a closer came in for the last out in a 3-run no baserunner situation, he still wouldn’t be credited for the save?

6 minutes ago, 6Kill said:

Okay and then last digression here, would it have mattered if it was the SP who had started the inning? Like if Wheeler had gone 8 2/3 and then a closer came in for the last out in a 3-run no baserunner situation, he still wouldn’t be credited for the save?

Makes no difference.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Trifecta said:

I'm just going to draft elite closers from now on and save myself the trouble of reading the tea leaves and sorting through this thread.

The Game of Saves isn’t for everyone. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, MugsyBogues said:

I have either been lucky or just way more on the ball the past few years.  This year, The Game of Saves is playing me.

• Haha 2

How many consistent/elite closers are there these days anyway? 

Maybe 2-3? Then you have an additional 3-6 closers who have good job security and good track record. With 12 fantasy teams there's at most 9 good-bet closers. 

I don't think anybody who plays fantasy baseball can avoid playing the game of saves anymore. There's just way too much volatility at the position now. 

Edited by EmbargoLifted

28 minutes ago, MugsyBogues said:

Can someone plz make a Game of Saves photoshop somehow incorporating Fernando Rodney and dragons

• Like 1

One does not simply make a GOS photoshop...

49 minutes ago, loro1991 said:

Can someone plz make a Game of Saves photoshop somehow incorporating Fernando Rodney and dragons

Must include Kevin Gregg as a monstrous cockroach prancing around

• Thanks 1

I am kind of amazed that 'experts' like Karabell from espn still contend that Parker is the closer in LAA...

Even Short did not list Middleton in his pick ups column...this situation seems awfully clear to me??

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

I am kind of amazed that 'experts' like Karabell from espn still contend that Parker is the closer in LAA...

Even Short did not list Middleton in his pick ups column...this situation seems awfully clear to me??

Agree. I wish Middleton would’ve had a conventional 3 out save. His outing got a little rough but it was a 5 out save with a large lead after top 9. Nasty stuff though. Hope he keeps getting chances. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bigbossman said:

How close is Vizcaino from losing his job? 

Best guess? 3 saves blown in close vicinity with Minter still looking great.  But it's all guess work.

• Thanks 1

Parker in the 9th up 7-1

2 hours ago, bigbossman said:

How close is Vizcaino from losing his job? 

Hopefully close. Considering dumping Neris for Minter in a Dynasty league. Problem is Viz has only had 1 save opp to blow. Need to get him a couple more opportunities to cough it up. 

I'm no medical expert, but a stem cell injection for Melancon seems like a desperation move.  Basically Andrews said there is nothing wrong with his ligaments and that the pronator muscle is just not responding or growing.  As far as I can tell, a stem cell injection is just trying to spark off some kind of life or growth in that muscle.  Does anyone know the success rate of something like that?

Either way, it seems like Melancon is going to need some sort of medical miracle to have that muscle strong enough to pitch anytime soon.

• Like 2