Rotoworld.com Forums

Mar/April Closer Thread 2018

6 minutes ago, thefamily79 said:

I'm not as pessimistic on Melancon.   If I recall correctly, he pitched reasonably well when he came back last year.  Again, I could be wrong, but I thought the reason he didn't close was that Dyson was on a streak before Melancon decided to shut it down.  I thought it was crazy of Melancon and the Giants given that they were out of the race.  I guess my point is that, notwithstanding dire medical news, Melancon pitched and wasn't always awful.  I think he's still worth a DL-slot in save hungry leagues.  Please feel free to correct my rose-colored memories of Melancon's September.  :-)

Stem cells are rose-colored too?  Because that injection into his pronator is the only relevant news about Melancon we've gotten.  That and the fact he can't throw a baseball. September certainly doesn't strike me as relevant right now.

Edited by Trifecta
  • Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rodney  

Anyone have any thoughts on the Milwaukee situation?

Posted Images

46 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

While Ziegler is definitely not the best option, the Marlins would love nothing more than for him to keep closing the 50-60 games they’re going to win, keeping their more talented arms also less expensive. This is important. I think it’s very likely Ziegler is this year’s Jim Johnson, aka older, bad closer who holds the job on a team that’s not going anywhere. 

I would normally agree with this, aside from the fact that Miami already has the worst attendance record in all of baseball (about 3,000 less/gm than Oakland-2nd lowest).  After the un-popular decision to fire-sale their marquee names, wouldn't they further dwindle their already plummeting fan base  if they continued to trot out a woeful, near 40 year old, ineffective Ziegler to the mound with the responsibility of securing victories (few as those may be).

(Speaking to the JJ comp) The Braves have a fairly large following which allow for them to sustain cost-driven decisions.  Not sure,  especially following this off-season, that the Marlins has that same luxury.  Jeter doesn't want a mutiny in Miami

10 minutes ago, F@ndemonium said:

I would normally agree with this, aside from the fact that Miami already has the worst attendance record in all of baseball (about 3,000 less/gm than Oakland-2nd lowest).  After the un-popular decision to fire-sale their marquee names, wouldn't they further dwindle their already plummeting fan base  if they continued to trot out a woeful, near 40 year old, ineffective Ziegler to the mound with the responsibility of securing victories (few as those may be).

(Speaking to the JJ comp) The Braves have a fairly large following which allow for them to sustain cost-driven decisions.  Not sure,  especially following this off-season, that the Marlins has that same luxury.  Jeter doesn't want a mutiny in Miami

Fair thoughts. I just don’t believe making Steck or Bearclaw the closer moves the needle for this angry fan base. And in fact if they’re smart, they’ll also realize this is a lost season and want to keep their valuable guys cheap. We’ll see. I’m betting on Ziegler unless he absolutely crashes and burns (which is of course possible).

• Like 2

Here’s some info on Hader and why he still isn’t closing in MKE

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/mlb/brewers/2018/04/12/counsell-not-ready-make-hader-closer-despite-brewers-ninth-inning-challenges/504302002/

Counsell: 

“We can save him until the end and not get to the ninth (with a lead), or we can use him when we have been.”

“I’d rather make sure we’re using him, and be able to use him in multiple innings and good matchups. And pick the hitters a little bit. I think it’s a better way for us to go.”

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Fair thoughts. I just don’t believe making Steck or Bearclaw the closer moves the needle for this angry fan base. And in fact if they’re smart, they’ll also realize this is a lost season and want to keep their valuable guys cheap. We’ll see. I’m betting on Ziegler unless he absolutely crashes and burns (which is of course possible).

While they re paying Ziegler 9M, they are also paying Tazawa 7M this year.

IF Ziegler flops, I could see them go Tazawa. Even though he's been used in low leverage so far.  I could see a BS argument that they want to "keep Drew and Kyle in set roles" and  go with a "vet" . Even though Tazawa hasn't been good in years.

Edited by Slatykamora
1 hour ago, Slatykamora said:

While they re paying Ziegler 9M, they are also paying Tazawa 7M this year.

IF Ziegler flops, I could see them go Tazawa. Even though he's been used in low leverage so far.  I could see a BS argument that they want to "keep Drew and Kyle in set roles" and  go with a "vet" . Even though Tazawa hasn't been good in years.

I remember on last year's closer thread that someone mentioned how Tazawa prefers not to close. I can't find the article or a news source of where it is. 

1 minute ago, summersoff7 said:

Colome led the league in blown saves, he just needs to be dropped.  He'll kill your %'s

Tonight sucked because that go-ahead run from 2nd doesn't score if Duffy or Hechavarria scoops up that ground ball - it went under both their gloves

Not to take away from how trash Colome has been this season, but tonight Colome at least gave you 3 Ks

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, terminator10 said:

I think its more that Norris has looked really really good so far

He has been, his K numbers are nasty. As an owner I hope this continues.

Will the Rays even consider making a swap? Alvarado looks like the clear guy to own there.