Rotoworld.com Forums

Mar/April Closer Thread 2018

11 hours ago, absknicks said:

Boxberger's velocity seems back tonight. Was up around 91-92 after being around 88-89 for a couple of outings. Good sign for his owners. 

When was it a bad sign?  Pitchers often start out at lower velocity in April and Boxberger has been excellent so far.

• Like 1
  • Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rodney  

Anyone have any thoughts on the Milwaukee situation?

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

When was it a bad sign?  Pitchers often start out at lower velocity in April and Boxberger has been excellent so far.

Concerning as he's still an injury risk given his history, but not the end all be all. Nice to see the velocity back.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, thefamily79 said:

I wish I didn't have Holland so I could deal for him.  Norris is going to run away with the job?  Really?!?

Why not? He was okay in the role last year. 

This year 6.2 ip, 12 ks, 1 bb...

54 minutes ago, mevins31 said:

Houston is just a committee. See lots of overreactions on "drop Giles". No. It's just like when a team had 2-3 really good guys they could go to in other years. You can name similar situations. 

Nasty Boys.

1 hour ago, ToO_BaD said:

Agreed. Colome has looked terrible this season, and just doesn’t have a repertoire to be the guys this year.  I have a gut feeling Romo will be given the first crack being a veteran with closing experience, but as a guy who missed him and got Alvarado I sure hope he eventually gets the gig lol.

Kind of a tough situation.

Full disclosure,  haven't watched Romo this year,  have watched Alvarado and Colome.

Colome looks like garbage.   If they really want to deal him they should come up with a phantom dl stint to get him right (hopefully).  But he looks like a hurt pitcher imo.

In dynasty I've been rostering Alvarado for a few weeks. 

In redraft I really don't want to have to roster both Romo and Alvarado where I own Colome but I might...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, 96mnc said:

Nasty Boys.

They weren't really a committee (in terms of saves) in either of the two seasons that trio was together. But they were a nasty anchor for that bullpen. 

Edited by Flyman75
2 hours ago, 96mnc said:

Kind of a tough situation.

Full disclosure,  haven't watched Romo this year,  have watched Alvarado and Colome.

Colome looks like garbage.   If they really want to deal him they should come up with a phantom dl stint to get him right (hopefully).  But he looks like a hurt pitcher imo.

In dynasty I've been rostering Alvarado for a few weeks. 

In redraft I really don't want to have to roster both Romo and Alvarado where I own Colome but I might...

I'm rostering both and don't own Colome, just to try and poach more saves.

It's hurting me but I can see something happening soon. I want to be able to grab a bad over one of them, but I don't know who is best to keep and don't wanna find I throw back the "guy".

8 minutes ago, Michael Bluth said:

Anybody have eyes on him today? 12/17 for strikes 1bb 1k. Sounds a lot better than he’s been

Yeah I imagine he'll have the 9th sooner than later. Makes sense they'd want to get him work in before throwing him into the fire since it worked out terribly in his first outing.

28 minutes ago, Michael Bluth said:

Anybody have eyes on him today? 12/17 for strikes 1bb 1k. Sounds a lot better than he’s been

I caught a little bit of him. His fastball/slider velo is still a couple ticks down but his command looks better. I don’t think he’s all the way back yet but I don’t think he’s too far away.

3 minutes ago, Sonny_D said:

He got saved from getting the 1 inning loss. By getting pulled. 

There ya go gj astros, had you kept giles where he belongs and devo where he belongs maybe this wouldn’t happen. Keep toying with all that.

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, motown magic said:

Romo is what 49 years old? Tampa is rebuilding . Romo isn't in their plans. Alvarado is the next guy IMO

The sooner they make Alvarado "the guy" the sooner they have to start paying him better. If they aren't going anywhere this year there's no point in driving up his price on future contracts. 

1 hour ago, The Bronx Bozo said:

As a Norris owner, I would love for him to run away with it.. However, the reality is STL just threw a ton of $$ at Holland. Once he gets a few clean innings under his belt, you gotta figure they give him another go.

I'm in the exact same boat as you.  I would love it, but I don't think it happens unless Holland implodes again soon.

Also fwiw re: the Rays situation, after the last Colome loss I went looking for Kevin Cash quotes, and I can't remember the exact words, but he said the latest loss wasn't Colome's fault, and that he thought he "looked better". He also had a very long leash last year. 

I know at some point he will have to make a change if Colome can't pull it together, but Cash seems quite content to give Colome all the leash he can.