TheWrightStuff

Joey Lucchesi 2018 Outlook

Two starts next week. Definitely holding.

Edited by k.k.

Why is he pitching in the majors if he can’t exceed 70 pitches on his 2nd game back after having at least one minor league rehab game? Couldn’t let him go like 88 and give him a shot at the win?

• Like 3

Could've at least let him start the 5th to try and get that W...

Edited by ZMan17

It’s crazy I played baseball and I’m still cool with this guy grew up together .On his pitching his been really good if the Padres didn’t baby him so much he would have maybe 2-3 more wins I’ve watched mostl all of his games and they won’t let him pitch more than 90 let the kid pitch but it’s understandable I guess because Padres are where there at there looking at the future .

7 minutes ago, Dontrelle Willis said:

It’s crazy I played baseball and I’m still cool with this guy grew up together .On his pitching his been really good if the Padres didn’t baby him so much he would have maybe 2-3 more wins I’ve watched mostl all of his games and they won’t let him pitch more than 90 let the kid pitch but it’s understandable I guess because Padres are where there at there looking at the future .

Howd you play with this kid , D-train? Aren’t you slightly older than him? 

Just kidding. But have you spoken with him about why they baby him so much?

Ahaha D train was one of my favorites growing up in the Bay Area . 

Naw I haven’t talk to him about that directly last time I just said what’s up to him. But I think in my opinion it’s because he’s hasn’t pitched that many innings professionally 137 or something I think he was one of the first people in his draft class to pitch in the league so I think that’s the main reason but to me that’s extreme on the pitch count .

• Thanks 1

anyone starting @az? coming off 2 decent starts but im sitting in a couple close ratio matchups

18 minutes ago, bank said:

Could it be? A quality start? #FreeJoey

it's kinda wild how good this dude is for a rookie.

regularly cruises thru lineups

edit: JINXED

Edited by tuesdays

12 hours ago, tuesdays said:

it's kinda wild how good this dude is for a rookie.

regularly cruises thru lineups

edit: JINXED

Yeah, we spoke too soon on that one. As you said, he goes through the early innings no problem, and also maintains his cool when things aren't going well.

I like his composure, motion, and his stuff. I feel it's more so that he doesn't have the stamina due to being pulled so early and at the first sign of trouble than it is him being a Hellickson type who gets figured out after two turns through the lineup. Lucchesi constantly being handled with kid gloves is really going to impact him negatively long-term both mentally and physically if this management keeps up. 

• Like 1

Did anyone watch the start? How did he look?

4 Innings, 3 runs (2 earned), 6 hits, 1 walk. Not good but not an atrocious line, especially considering he was facing the Dodgers.

This guy seems to be the NL version of Bieber.  Going to carry a high WHIP but playing in Petco helps long play.  This has been a series of short outings since coming back from DL though.

8 hours ago, weisberg26 said:

Did anyone watch the start? How did he look?

4 Innings, 3 runs (2 earned), 6 hits, 1 walk. Not good but not an atrocious line, especially considering he was facing the Dodgers.

I did. And it was extremely frustrating. He had an inning (either the third or the fourth) where he was stuck on two outs for what seemed like forever. Three different times, what should have been routine plays blew up in their face. Two botched exchanges at 2B, and then a dropped throw at 1B. 

Lucchesi obviously wasn't at his best either, but his defense really did him no favors (with the exception of a nice diving catch in the 1st inning). I'm a big fan of him, but it is beginning to finally reach a point for me where he simply doesn't go deep enough into games (which prevents other counting stats from being generated) to justify his roster spot on a fantasy team despite his potential. 

31 minutes ago, bank said:

I'm a big fan of him, but it is beginning to finally reach a point for me where he simply doesn't go deep enough into games (which prevents other counting stats from being generated) to justify his roster spot on a fantasy team despite his potential. 

He threw 91 pitches yesterday, which is the most he's thrown since coming off the DL,. It also seems like he was plaugued by some bad defense. Otherwise, he might have made it into the 5th. You think the Padres will stopping babying as much after the All Star Break?