TheWrightStuff

Joey Lucchesi 2018 Outlook

Use the gameday thread for in game commentary. 

not overly impressive, I think he had a lot of jitters, was barely hitting 90 in the first two innings, but in the 3rd and 4th he was working 92-93

obviously wouldn't start him the next two outings vs Rox, but still want to see how he bounces back will say a lot about him

3 minutes ago, Golden Spikes said:

not overly impressive, I think he had a lot of jitters, was barely hitting 90 in the first two innings, but in the 3rd and 4th he was working 92-93

obviously wouldn't start him the next two outings vs Rox, but still want to see how he bounces back will say a lot about him

Rockies are a garbage offensive team. They have two above average offensive players. You never start any one at Coors, start everyone verse the Rockies on the road.

I watched. He wasn't really fooling anyone with the curve/change and his control was off on those pitches. His fast ball got swings and misses. Margot should have had an error on the first double (first batter), which would of taken two runs off his final line. Should of got through 5 too, but an actual error prevented that. Brewers put out a decent right handed lineup. Will be interesting to see him going forward. I think I remember 4 hard hit balls (sit on road, non-NL West). Cain owned him. He's jumping from AA to MLB, some growing pains are expected.

• Like 1

Was impressed overall with his start. Again, first pitcher of 2016 draft to debut and hasn't pitched in AAA yet. 

Had some tough luck to start 1st inning. Margot missed a running catch and now there's a man on second. Margot made a similar catch a few innings later and hes a great defensive player moving forward. Lucchesi misses another out from a Travis Shaw liner up the middle that just misses his glove. He also left a few 90 MPH FBs in bad spots and got a few hard hits, looked jittery a bit there in the first. Overall ended that 1st inning with 3 ER. 

Really settled in after that, didnt allow another ER after the 1st inning. Ended up the night with 0 BB, and 1K 7H. Was one out away from getting his 5 IP, which would have put him in position for a win at that moment. Spangburg spikes one into the dirt from 3B for an error, inning continues and SP change after 75 pitches. 

FB was up to 93, thought he placed well at times but he cant make those mistakes in the middle of the plate. Cain really smoked a few tonight. 

I liked the change up, he tried it all over the plate. A few hangers, another hit was off a ball that hung a bit too much on outside corner. Saw one at 77MPH and the offspeed looked to play okay. 

I dont think the upside is in the same tier as elite SP prospects. But I saw flashes of the SP3-SP4 guy that most scouts predict. Im holding and we will wait for news about Lamet. 

• Like 3

You two had almost identical reports on his start, thanks for the thorough break down. Good stuff 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, reckoner said:

Anyone starting him at home vs. COL tomorrow?

Crickets...

1 hour ago, reckoner said:

Considering streaming him, might hold if he does well.

19 minutes ago, smeeze said:

Considering streaming him, might hold if he does well.

He threw BP to the Brewers.  Rockies will eat him alive. 

2 hours ago, reckoner said:

Yep. Not thrilled but no other choice. 

Big if, but if he can just work around Blackmon and Arenado he's got a fighting chance against the rest of that line up at home in SD. 

2 hours ago, jdbob11 said:

He threw BP to the Brewers.  Rockies will eat him alive. 

Brewers lean right handed. Rockies lean lefty. Much better match-up on paper vs the Rockies. With that said, he was kind of blah, but playing in SD helps. He's a fine stream and watch guy at this point. Maybe it was nerves, but it could be that he was just rushed to the MLB and he won't be serviceable until 2nd half. I don't know.

6 minutes ago, SkinsNoles21 said:

I cut him this morning :(

Hes @COL next start...

I mean, it’s scary to pick him up today

8 minutes ago, Gumbo_Ghost said:

Hes @COL next start...

I mean, it’s scary to pick him up today

Very solid outing today (5 innings, 7 k's only 1 hit allowed), but it's an obvious benching @COL.

In a deep league you pick this guy up for the back end of your staff and don't look back

His stuff is okay but it plays up with that spooky delivery.

I have him on my bench but didn't have the cojones to start him today. Woops. Can't do it at CO but might deploy after that. 

He looked better and better as game went along. Really encouraging start.

ya i started lucchesi at coors tonight cause i'm crazy like that. watched the last few innings and man, he is very composed and the hitters are confused by him. weird delivery with a lot going on and he's accurate. seems like he has high K potential as well. guys like lucchesi, junis, and reynaldo lopez are why i generally wait until round 3 to draft an SP1

5 minutes ago, richg24 said:

ya i started lucchesi at coors tonight cause i'm crazy like that. watched the last few innings and man, he is very composed and the hitters are confused by him. weird delivery with a lot going on and he's accurate. seems like he has high K potential as well. guys like lucchesi, junis, and reynaldo lopez are why i generally wait until round 3 to draft an SP1

I wish I did the same. I was so tempted to do so merely for the sake of having a game to watch -- then the more "pragmatic" half of my brain took hold. Still, the Rockies lineup didn't instill much fear in me. Thus far this season, my bench has been a magnet for good production and it hurts. 

He looks good but I bet ya he won't pitch as well under more favorable circumstances next time out. 

Bottom of the 7th -- he allowed a triple on the first pitch to Arenado then walked Story. Desmond coming up but Padres going to pen. 

2 minutes ago, IceGoat said:

I wish I did the same. I was so tempted to do so merely for the sake of having a game to watch -- then the more "pragmatic" half of my brain took hold. Still, the Rockies lineup didn't instill much fear in me. Thus far this season, my bench has been a magnet for good production and it hurts. 

He looks good but I bet ya he won't pitch as well under more favorable circumstances next time out. 

Projects out to face the Giants in SD on Sunday, then the Diamondbacks at the humidor, and the Mets in SD.