TheWrightStuff

Joey Lucchesi 2018 Outlook

He had 14 swinging strikes on his 88 pitches today after inducing 16 swinging strikes on 82 pitches last time out. Pretty impressive.

• Like 1

Hmm I said I didn’t think he was ready based on minor league level and repertoire but I guess I was completely wrong.  I still think he might be a deception type guy that wears thin after exposure.  But I guess sometimes deceptive guys always decieve (like a Josh Collmenter)

• Like 1

Watching him pitch I think he's got a delivery somewhat similar to Kershaw 

I'm not as stat based on some of you guys, but looks like his minors numbers were pretty darn good, had a good spring even though he didn't pitch much. No AAA #s from what I can see, but if he does well in the bigs I guess that's just as telling. 

1 minute ago, beauso79 said:

Watching him pitch I think he's got a delivery somewhat similar to Kershaw 

Yeah I was just watching a video of him, has a similarity. 

10 minutes ago, tonywow said:

I'm not as stat based on some of you guys, but looks like his minors numbers were pretty darn good, had a good spring even though he didn't pitch much. No AAA #s from what I can see, but if he does well in the bigs I guess that's just as telling. 

Regardless of how he is end of season, his wonky deliver/deceptiveness will take the league a little longer to adjust to. I'm riding the wave for now. His command and curve look good, not sure if he has a 3rd pitch 

1 hour ago, chud12 said:

Thoughts on this dude in dynasty leagues?? 

Pick up and pray his deception can continue to be deceiving and he develops a strong third pitch. He already has San Diego going for him.

12 minutes ago, Fenamo said:

Pick up and pray his deception can continue to be deceiving and he develops a strong third pitch. He already has San Diego going for him.

I think he already has a third pitch. You can't tell the difference between his off-speed pitches. He spins a change-up and it's thrown the same velocity as his curve. His curve bites more which separates them. Pitch-Fx can't tell the difference and labels them as the same pitch hence the confusion. I might be wrong, but this is what I gather from watching him.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Light Tower Power said:

I think he already has a third pitch. You can't tell the difference between his off-speed pitches. He spins a change-up and it's thrown the same velocity as his curve. His curve bites more which separates them. Pitch-Fx can't tell the difference and labels them as the same pitch hence the confusion. I might be wrong, but this is what I gather from watching him.

If that's the case he could further improve by slowing down one of those pitches to mess with timing even more.  

Either way he's impressive so far. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Light Tower Power said:

This is a potentially great post.  Something to monitor for sure,  could be a huge difference in ceiling

I have him in two dynasty leagues. Easy to roster him right now, but tough part will be to know how long to hold him when he has a couple of clunkers. Give him a long leash ala a hyped prospect?  Probably not. But I will probably hold a little longer than I might have a week ago. Something about this guy impresses. Padres love him. Most projection systems like him. His peripherals look good.  

1 hour ago, WahooManiac said:

This is a potentially great post.  Something to monitor for sure,  could be a huge difference in ceiling

The Padres do say he has 3 pitches that he throws strikes with.  I thinks he's right. 

Edited by kittenmittons
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Light Tower Power said:

from what I have seen they are calling it a Churve, a change-up curveball that he throws at multiple speeds and angles

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Golden Spikes said:

from what I have seen they are calling it a Churve, a change-up curveball that he throws at multiple speeds and angles

For what it's worth:

“From when we drafted him…we liked a lot of things,” general manager A.J. Preller said. “It’s a big-bodied lefthanded pitcher who’s obviously deceptive in what he does, throws strikes with three pitches. He did that all last year in the minor leagues and again in spring training, so he earned the right to be in our rotation to start the year.”

and...

“Extremely difficult,” pitching coach Darren Balsley said when asked how hard it would be to keep Lucchesi off the roster. “He commands the baseball and makes pitches. That change-up is real. Everything is real. His execution for a young kid, first year in big-league camp, has been awesome. And he has no pulse, he just goes out and makes pitches.”

The left-handed Lucchesi dropping change-ups and spinning curves to all corners of the zone, including a few that started chest high and fell into the zone as if off a table, was almost unfair to the teenagers he was facing. As was his multifaceted windup that finishes with him flinging the ball seemingly from behind his back.

Edited by kittenmittons
  • Like 5

Yeah man, the giants did not look comfortable facing him today. Lots of half swings where the batter would just look silly. I'm pretty excited about owning him after actually watch him throw

Any left in that division is worth rostering as the dodgers can't hit lefties. He clearly hasn't had any issues with the Rockies thus far. Next up is the diamonbacks. I never even heard of a churve. Lol. But seriously, I picked mahle and Joey cheese up in a 16 teamer. Didn't take long to figure out who I was rolling with. Deceptive deliveries grades up stuff, especially from a lefty. 

4 hours ago, street sharks said:

Yeah man, the giants did not look comfortable facing him today. Lots of half swings where the batter would just look silly. I'm pretty excited about owning him after actually watch him throw

Deception plays up. Own him. He won't be a top ten so but he should put up some strong numbers

On 4/15/2018 at 11:51 PM, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Needs to be rostered in 12+ team leagues until the wheels fall off.

Why not 10 teamers? Those numbers play anywhere.