TheWrightStuff

Joey Lucchesi 2018 Outlook

4 hours ago, street sharks said:

runner on 1st and 3rd with one out. Pollock tried to steal 2nd to take away the double play, and Lucchesi caught him running, but threw it over Hosmer's head. I think that error messed with him cause he asn't as on point after that 

I think there's something legitimate to talk about here. I don't think he's a good fielder right now. I've seen it in a couple games after watching all his starts. I think he legitimately struggles to field the position at a high level right now. 

6 hours ago, street sharks said:

runner on 1st and 3rd with one out. Pollock tried to steal 2nd to take away the double play, and Lucchesi caught him running, but threw it over Hosmer's head. I think that error messed with him cause he asn't as on point after that 

Lucchesi was thought to have the best pick off move in the organization, just throws it away, after that he failed to focus, good pickoff, that gets Pollock and thats 2 outs and things probably end up differently

Any idea why he didn't last through 6? Didn't get to watch but looked like he was cruising at only 8 pitches. Yeah he gave up 2 runs but plenty of margins for error with an 11 run lead. 

1 minute ago, CuredMeats said:

Any idea why he didn't last through 6? Didn't get to watch but looked like he was cruising at only 8 pitches. Yeah he gave up 2 runs but plenty of margins for error with an 11 run lead. 

Yup really sucks for those of us in a quality start league.

I think there was some mention of a potential injury concern earlier in his outing.  Don’t know any details

Yes, I nearly threw my remote through the TV when he was pulled. Fortunately the sofa was to my rear and a less regretful recipient of a well-slung remote (sans the starts and stops of a Lucchesi-esque delivery).  

That QS looked like it was a foregone conclusion. He had begun the 6th with 60-something pitches and the Friars sporting an eleven to zip lead. Cespedes got him for two (just traded that bastard) and Bruce was two batters later able to beat the shift and lace one into right. Gets the hook at 79 pitches. His departure didn't strike me as injury-related. He was getting hit that inning and some of the outs were well struck balls that found gloves. 

At any rate, I am not digging my league's transition to Quality Starts. I was one of the adherents of keeping Wins but QS won out this year. 

I watched his entire performance tonight and only when he was able to command his "churve" (not as often as I would have liked) did he look good. As I said earlier, some hard hit balls were finding mitts. Getting to the 6-inning threshold, or perhaps even 7, would have looked more aesthetically pleasing for the impending salvo of trade offers I am about to release on my league. 

I know you guys are fantasy GMs and those are usually the most knowledgable people.  But with an 11-run lead you're not going to push someone in the 6th inning to labor through an inning in April.  I know you all wanted that QS but relax.  That's the thing when you get a huge lead like that.  It doesn't benefit your starting pitcher much, other than to get a W.

Just going to put out there that still holding. JL made out far better than I thought he would.

He was really struggling with the moisture/rain - they took a good 5 minute break and maybe 2 to let him knife the muck out of his cleats.

Considering his awful start to this game he made out OK and no rage drop here.

• Like 1

1 of the runs was a result of a popup that 3 fielders couldn't see, another was a HR after what should've been strike 3 called. 2 extra BBs from getting squeezed all game, and it was raining. He did fine. 

In the small sample size so far I've seen him throw a "Churve" for a strike maybe 5 times. Still, that's a damn funky delivery. One of the most fun starters to watch & have on one's fantasy team.

40 minutes ago, Cheppy said:

In the small sample size so far I've seen him throw a "Churve" for a strike maybe 5 times. Still, that's a damn funky delivery. One of the most fun starters to watch & have on one's fantasy team.

I only saw like 1.5 to 2 of his starts but I'd have to agree with you. His command is not that great compared to catcher mitts position prior to delivery. A lot of the time, catcher wants it down (knee level), it ends up around the top of the zone. Still gets the whiffs but not too promising.

5 hours ago, fingy said:

I only saw like 1.5 to 2 of his starts but I'd have to agree with you. His command is not that great compared to catcher mitts position prior to delivery. A lot of the time, catcher wants it down (knee level), it ends up around the top of the zone. Still gets the whiffs but not too promising.

Not arguing your point but I'm willing to cut some slack for last start because the heavy rain, he settled in. 

6 minutes ago, Lightning Bat said:

Facing nationals hitters today.. I learned my lesson with Pivetta. Anyone sitting ?

Not in a 16 team league against the #1 in k's

Nats on the road vs lefties 80 wRC+ as opposed to 120 vs rights plus you have to factor in petco

Damn the nats are throwing an entire lineup of righties at him today (minus the pitcher), though he does do pretty good vs righties at home (0.291 woba in 21 ip)

I don't really care who he faces if he's starting in PETCO, rolling him out without thinking twice.

• Like 1

Not hurt. Guess the manager didn't like him facing the top of the order after walking Taylor and Rendon hitting a HR off him earlier

• Like 1

Padres tanking and thought they might win if Joey stayed in there?

• Like 1

Just now, street sharks said:

Not hurt. Guess the manager didn't like him facing the top of the order after walking Taylor and Rendon hitting a HR off him earlier

Disappointing decision by the manager but a fine performance from Joey!

kind of amazed he got pulled. but it was going to be his third** time facing that lineup....i guess i understand why.

edit: wow i can't count

Edited by tuesdays