TheWrightStuff

Joey Lucchesi 2018 Outlook

Gave up a hit and a walk to start the inning. I guess they didn't want him to face the heart of the order. Turned out ok for the Padres, sucks for fantasy though. Still a solid night. He's been a great pickup 

• Like 1

Agreed @evillaw4eva - I have no complaints about this start. He's rarely going to get the run support but I'm pretty convinced at this point the ratios and Ks will be there.

Seeing him work from 3-0 to the pitcher (Gio trying to bunt) to a 3-2 K was nice. He's got some fight in him. Plenty of guys would have walked the goddam pitcher there

Edited by loro1991

His command looked damn good last night. 

It would be nice if he had a competent third basemen, Villanueva is a liability and it resulted in one of the runners getting aboard in the sixth inning, which led to him getting the hook.

All I hear is complaints on him getting pulled against one of the best lineups in baseball with 2 birds on and nobody out in the 6th inning with the top of the lineup coming up. You're kidding right? It's not uncommon for the nats to score a plethora of runs against any pitcher, let alone your rookie SP4. Get a clue, this was a fantastic start win or not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dkrocka said:

All I hear is complaints on him getting pulled against one of the best lineups in baseball with 2 birds on and nobody out in the 6th inning with the top of the lineup coming up. You're kidding right? It's not uncommon for the nats to score a plethora of runs against any pitcher, let alone your rookie SP4. Get a clue, this was a fantastic start win or not.

I agree there was nothing wrong with the decision to yank Joey there. Still though, they have only let him go past 5 innings once so far, even in the games where he was pitching great...I guess they are still treading lightly with their promising rookie. Hopefully the kid gloves come off soon though and let him go an extra inning if the situation makes sense to do so. Need those quality starts!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, richg24 said:

I agree there was nothing wrong with the decision to yank Joey there. Still though, they have only let him go past 5 innings once so far, even in the games where he was pitching great...I guess they are still treading lightly with their promising rookie. Hopefully the kid gloves come off soon though and let him go an extra inning if the situation makes sense to do so. 

Let's keep in mind that JL is only in his 3rd professional season.   He's still learning how to be a professional pitcher but he's doing it at the MLB level.  Had this been a minor league game he probably would have stayed in the game to work through it. 

I suspect he's on an innings limit this year as well.   And he should be shut down at the end of August imo.

2 hours ago, dkrocka said:

No Harper, Eaton, Murphy, or Adams last night so the “facing one of the best lineups” argument falls flat in this instance...

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, countingcrow said:

No Harper, Eaton, Murphy, or Adams last night so the “facing one of the best lineups” argument falls flat in this instance...

Even with those 4 out it's still an above average MLB lineup

Well Adams can't hit lefties so...

They basically sat Harper.

And those guys Turner, Rendon, and Zimmerman are pretty good.

Do you really want a 2 pitch pitcher going through the lineup a 3rd time? To be fair I think he throws two variations of his churve if I'm not mistaken.

6 hours ago, 96mnc said:

Let's keep in mind that JL is only in his 3rd professional season.   He's still learning how to be a professional pitcher but he's doing it at the MLB level.  Had this been a minor league game he probably would have stayed in the game to work through it. 

I suspect he's on an innings limit this year as well.   And he should be shut down at the end of August imo.

I'd rather he was on a pitch count limit more than anything based on when he is getting pulled during some of these games. 

He pitched 139 innings last year, albeit in the minors, so if what you are thinking does come to fruition, hopefully they extend the leash by at least a couple handfuls of innings. Admittedly I've never been a huge proponent of the innings cap. 

As a side note, I'm proud to say I nabbed him in a dynasty keeper league a while before he even had his first major league start. So it's nice to see someone I pegged perform. Naturally it's still very early into his career and the season, and I very well could be singing an entirely different tune in a few months, or even weeks. That Kershaw-like delivery is what had me hooked more than anything. 

Also, there were a few times in that game where he landed that "churve" perfectly. If he can get that under control, it'll be a beautiful weapon. 

Is there any talk on an innings limit or anything? Have an interesting offer for him included but want to see if he will be shut down for my playoffs.

2 hours ago, WaKe21334 said:

Is there any talk on an innings limit or anything? Have an interesting offer for him included but want to see if he will be shut down for my playoffs.

I'd go ahead and assume he's done end of August. Common sense is the only guide because there is no hard news out there on this issue. SD is not competing (redundant) - there will be no reason to give him any more than 160 imho.

I would be really conservative in other words RE: his value in playoff time. I really don't think he'll be playing then. knowing what I know now.

As far as tonight goes I'm rolling with reasonable confidence. Looking forward to seeing it.

• Like 1

Very interesting pitcher to watch live. I like that funky Kershaw-Esque delivery. Results are more impressive than the raw video of the pitches. The churve thing is weird and it feels like it’s left hanging to me but it must be hard to pick up. 90 mph fastball doesn’t excite but he moves it around. Wide and tall strike zone tonight though so hopefully the train keeps on rolling 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SuperJoint said:

I'd go ahead and assume he's done end of August. Common sense is the only guide because there is no hard news out there on this issue. SD is not competing (redundant) - there will be no reason to give him any more than 160 imho.

I would be really conservative in other words RE: his value in playoff time. I really don't think he'll be playing then. knowing what I know now.

As far as tonight goes I'm rolling with reasonable confidence. Looking forward to seeing it.

Echoing this and also I wish there was a reliable strategy for negotiating pitching in September when many of your players have their seasons ended with innings limits

One nice thing to see: he kind of made a base running mistake getting thrown out at home to end the inning on a wild pitch (well more like running 90% of the way to Home and sitting down), but he was pissed at himself, so it was nice to see it didn’t rattle him. He responded with a quick 1-2-3 inning where he looked sharp

Night is over at 71 pitches. I've had enough of this guy in a QS league, or at least the Padres handling of him. 

1 minute ago, IceGoat said:

Night is over at 71 pitches. I've had enough of this guy in a QS league, or at least the Padres handling of him. 

i dont see that i should like him any better in a wins league

12 minutes ago, IceGoat said:

agreed.  he's worthless in that type of league.  It's a shame too because he could totally have several more QS if they took off the kiddy gloves.

Edited by mehtavg2000

I think I have it figured out. If he is through 4 innings, over 50 pitches, and in any sort of tough situation, he gets yanked. 

Why hasn't any manager applied this strategy before...

Not useful for quality starts.

Not useful for wins.

Really just not that useful.

Only leagues I would bother to own him in at this point are 16+ team leagues and maybe 14 team leagues that don't use quality starts.

Maybe they are taking him out early to avoid sitting him later in the season due to innings.  Would they rather have 30 starts at 5 innings per start or 25 at around 6 innings per start?