Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

taobball

Brandon Nimmo 2018 Outlook

Loving the production so far. And Yes, he is a gamer like @CanadianSportsJunkiestated above. 

I watched his 1st AB and he practically sprinted to 1B on his walk. Love that he hustles all the time.. even when it doesn’t matter. Excited to own him!

Fingers crossed that the Mets don't go all Mets on us and make him a mainstay at the top of that lineup. If they do, it's going to be a fun ride this year, imho. 

1 hour ago, Csiebert5 said:

I watched his 1st AB and he practically sprinted to 1B on his walk. Love that he hustles all the time

The sprinting to first base on a walk or HBP is kind of corny imo

I will take sprinting to first base on a walk over jogging to first on a ground ball anytime.

7 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

The sprinting to first base on a walk or HBP is kind of corny imo

He’s channeling his inner Adam Rosales

Sprint, walk, saunter, crawl, summersault...I don't care as long as he continues getting on base and running as this clip. 

Seriously tho, intensity is a mindset. If the sprinting is part of what keeps him in the moment during games, by all means kid, sprint even if it pisses pitchers and casual fans off. 

The kid hustles. It speeds up the game, gets his blood flowin.. who knows maybe it’s just his routine idk! I just love the hustle either way lol

5 hours ago, billofwa said:

I will take sprinting to first base on a walk over jogging to first on a ground ball anytime.

Actually I would take jogging to first on a routine GB over a leg injury from sprinting. It's a long season....

12 minutes ago, RotoSapien said:

Actually I would take jogging to first on a routine GB over a leg injury from sprinting. It's a long season....

Come on now.. I hate when guys don’t hustle on the basepaths. Routine GBs get booted or bobbled all the time. If a guy is sprinting he is not only increasing his chances of reaching on the bobble/boot, he is also putting pressure on the defense, especially if he is fast. Ya can’t just jog around everywhere playing it safe not to get hurt. If you’re talking about a guy like Albert Pujols who’s old and has history with plantar fasciitis, that’s different. This is not the case, Brandon Nimmo is not Albert Pujols.

Don't question a baseball player's routine unless you can correlate it with poor performance.

It would be terribly unfortunate for him to pull up gimpy on a sprint to first base on a walk, but that's the only possible negative. I can see why it might benefit him. It's an opportunity to warm his muscles up from the downtime and get a sense of how he is feeling before the next pitch. This kid is stealing with reckless abandon lately. He's got caught but he's also paying dividends. He clearly has a bright green light to run like a madman. I'm not going to question anything he does to prime himself for the next stolen base. Trust the process.

5 hours ago, treat88 said:

Sprint, walk, saunter, crawl, summersault...I don't care as long as he continues getting on base and running as this clip. 

Seriously tho, intensity is a mindset. If the sprinting is part of what keeps him in the moment during games, by all means kid, sprint even if it pisses pitchers and casual fans off. 

If he pisses pitchers off, even better. Make them mad, and maybe they'll give him stupid pitches or even hit him. Whatever gets him on base even more!

2 hours ago, RotoSapien said:

If you're concerned about players getting leg injuries from sprinting to first base, your blood pressure must be through the roof every play.  I mean, they're athletes... they sprint... a lot... because it's a sport of running and catching.  Maybe try watching golf?

Nimmo actually plays the game with intensity.  It's nice to see and I hope it catches on more.

Hitless in his last 12 ABs, dropping his BA from .294 to .267. Hopefully he gets off the schneid soon. 

picked him up and he’s been raking.. ugh, making that racking.. racking up the ks :(

Just now, mjuevos said:

picked him up and he’s been raking.. ugh, making that racking.. racking up the ks :(

Well hurry up and drop him. You're ruining it for the rest of us. Lol. 

39 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Well hurry up and drop him. You're ruining it for the rest of us. Lol. 

haha  

Weird, it's almost like this is the player he is/was before he went on a hot streak and everyone proclaimed him the second coming.

Oh might I remind you he just struck out 3 times against Orioles pitching.  Let that sink in for a moment.

2 hours ago, DemOrioles said:

Weird, it's almost like this is the player he is/was before he went on a hot streak and everyone proclaimed him the second coming.

Oh might I remind you he just struck out 3 times against Orioles pitching.  Let that sink in for a moment.

Or he could wind up somewhere in between. Which is still quite solid. 

2 hours ago, DemOrioles said:

Why does everyone need to be so over dramatic about everything?  He's not the second coming any more than he is the guy that struck out 3 times last night.

If the worst case scenario is that he is "the player is was before the hot streak" then he's a .260 hitter with a 15% walk rate with 15-20 HR power, will swipe a few bags, and hits at the top of the order.  Basically Adam Eaton without the injuries, in a less awesome lineup, that you got off the WW.

Also baseball is just a series of streaks and slumps - no reasonable person is expecting 5 HR a week, just the same as no reasonable person should expect 0-for-12/whatever every week.  There will be peaks and valleys, but if his new peaks are higher than his previous ones, then it's likely the sum of everything at the end of the season will be better than in the past.

3 hours ago, handyandy86 said:

Why does everyone need to be so over dramatic about everything?  He's not the second coming any more than he is the guy that struck out 3 times last night.

If the worst case scenario is that he is "the player is was before the hot streak" then he's a .260 hitter with a 15% walk rate with 15-20 HR power, will swipe a few bags, and hits at the top of the order.  Basically Adam Eaton without the injuries, in a less awesome lineup, that you got off the WW.

Also baseball is just a series of streaks and slumps - no reasonable person is expecting 5 HR a week, just the same as no reasonable person should expect 0-for-12/whatever every week.  There will be peaks and valleys, but if his new peaks are higher than his previous ones, then it's likely the sum of everything at the end of the season will be better than in the past.

End Thread.

3 hours ago, handyandy86 said:

Image result for clapping gif