taobball

Brandon Nimmo 2018 Outlook

6 hours ago, DemOrioles said:

Weird, it's almost like this is the player he is/was before he went on a hot streak and everyone proclaimed him the second coming.

Oh might I remind you he just struck out 3 times against Orioles pitching.  Let that sink in for a moment.

You made your position clear as recently as Friday. Find validation elsewhere.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DemOrioles said:

Oh might I remind you he just struck out 3 times against Orioles pitching.  Let that sink in for a moment.

Other scrubs who have struck out 3 times in a game against the Orioles this season include Aaron Judge, Giancarlo Stanton, Xander Bogaerts, Anthony Rendon, Nick Castellanos and Matt Davidson.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, handyandy86 said:

Why does everyone need to be so over dramatic about everything?  He's not the second coming any more than he is the guy that struck out 3 times last night.

If the worst case scenario is that he is "the player is was before the hot streak" then he's a .260 hitter with a 15% walk rate with 15-20 HR power, will swipe a few bags, and hits at the top of the order.  Basically Adam Eaton without the injuries, in a less awesome lineup, that you got off the WW.

Also baseball is just a series of streaks and slumps - no reasonable person is expecting 5 HR a week, just the same as no reasonable person should expect 0-for-12/whatever every week.  There will be peaks and valleys, but if his new peaks are higher than his previous ones, then it's likely the sum of everything at the end of the season will be better than in the past.

Quoted once more for truth. Amen. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, SpartyOn4 said:

Other scrubs who have struck out 3 times in a game against the Orioles this season include Aaron Judge, Giancarlo Stanton, Xander Bogaerts, Anthony Rendon, Nick Castellanos and Matt Davidson.

OH!  Please excuse my mistake I didn’t know Nimmo had reached such heights to be included in a pool of players like you just mentioned.

One of those is not like the others by the way.  Hint hint for those who may be confused, it’s Davidson.

9 minutes ago, DemOrioles said:

OH!  Please excuse my mistake I didn’t know Nimmo had reached such heights to be included in a pool of players like you just mentioned.

One of those is not like the others by the way.  Hint hint for those who may be confused, it’s Davidson.

You are deflecting here. He didn't mention those other players as comps to Nimmo. He was pointing out a group of better and/or more valued hitters that have struck out 3 times against the Orioles. You know since your previous post was mocking Nimmo for having done that...

We get it, you don't care for the player. Time to migrate elsewhere. 

• Like 7

Brandon Nimmo is literally better than every Baltimore Oriole batter besides Machado. Possibly even combined.

• Like 2

Since my post on May 25th Brandon Nimmo has went 10-41 8R 4HR 8RBI 5BB in eleven games .Not bad considering 

I was not a believer, I missed out on this WW guy. 

38 minutes ago, elrey said:

Brandon Nimmo is literally better than every Baltimore Oriole batter besides Machado. Possibly even combined.

You forgot Adam Jones, but other than that you are correct.

19 hours ago, DemOrioles said:

You forgot Adam Jones, but other than that you are correct.

Lol. Nope. I’d easily take Nimmo real or fantasy. 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, taobball said:

Lol. Nope. I’d easily take Nimmo real or fantasy. 

Would you take him over Soto for this year only?

(I own both, but I'm just curious how he compares)

8 minutes ago, pbjfb said:

I wouldn't but it is close

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, pbjfb said:

I would but Soto’s the upside play. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, TrueToTheBlue said:

Am I the only one that's still worried about his PT when Yoenis comes back next week? 

you're not the only one.

if this was virtually any other team, i don't think i would have any measurable level of concern, but with the mets... i question their ability to make the right decision.  

Needs to show he can his lefties. Hopefully the Mets continue to give him opportunities to do so.

He also has 9 HBP in 167 PA which is giving his OBP a nice little boost right now. 

I read an article about him by Eno Sarris recently and he compared him to Shin-Soo Choo.. .seemed like a fair, reasonable comparison to me. 

Edited by absknicks

4 hours ago, pbjfb said:

I would have to go with Soto personally.   

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fantasy Baseball Geek said:

Joel Sherman, NY POST, is reporting that he was told by Callaway that Nimmo will continue to be a regular even when Cespedes gets back.

Well duh! 

This is still one of those "seeing is believing" situations for me. Mets. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bank said:

This is still one of those "seeing is believing" situations for me. Mets. 

Team doctors probably not involved in this decision, so you're ok. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The perceived regular ABs might be not so certain if he continues with his swing and miss issues. He’s ramped up the strike outs. Looks like the star in the movie.... trouble with the curve!

I feel like one of the hipster douchebags every normal person hates but this forum has gone to hell with throwaway posts when a batter or pitcher is hot or cold. Callaway probably should have just left him in the leadoff spot. Nobody gets on base anyway I understand that he’s trying to shake things up but you had one spot in the lineup taken care of.  He’s the first legitimate player with the skill set for the job that they’ve had in years. His willingness to take pitches and work counts makes him a facilitator don’t try to make him a run producer when the former was working fine.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Chickie said:

The perceived regular ABs might be not so certain if he continues with his swing and miss issues. He’s ramped up the strike outs. Looks like the star in the movie.... trouble with the curve!

I think he is starting to press at the plate since being moved to the 3rd slot in the lineup. He is likely coming to bat with 2 outs most of the time and trying to make something happen. Just move him back to lead off. 

He was due for some regression. Wasn't going to OPS .970 over an extended period of time. But I still like him as an OF4 type going forward. I said this earlier in the thread but I really like the Shin-Soo Choo comparison that Eno Sarris made. Think they're very comparable profiles.

• Like 2

Not sure how to post just a pic of the graph, but here is a 15 game rolling average for Nimmo

https://www.fangraphs.com/graphs.aspx?playerid=12927&position=OF&statArr=35,102,107&legend=1,2,3&split=base&time=game&ymin=&ymax=&dStatArray=&start=2018&end=2018&rtype=single&gt1=15

His O Swing has not gone up, his contact has not gone down. It's just his K is inflated lately. Are we sure we should be concerned here? Nothing has changed in his discipline or contact.