affliction

Jay Ajayi 2018 Outlook

No Blount anymore, but Pederson has a history of committees and who knows how much trust they will have in his knees.

Looking like a 3rd rd pick now

My one concern is that the Eagles just did not use him all that much last season till late in the season, probably because of his knees. Kind of a wish-wash value in PPR leagues, not sure if I would spend a 3rd on him at this point. I doubt they roll into the season with their current core of RBs.

7 hours ago, metalmat said:

My one concern is that the Eagles just did not use him all that much last season till late in the season, probably because of his knees. Kind of a wish-wash value in PPR leagues, not sure if I would spend a 3rd on him at this point. I doubt they roll into the season with their current core of RBs.

I wouldn't put much Fantasy stock in Ajayi. They love Clement and have made it public that they want Sproles back. Smallwood and Pumphrey are still in the mix as well. It's a crowded backfield to say the least.

I did like his postseason play, and he did average nearly 6 yards a carry with Philly in the regular season, though on only 70 carries, so there's something here.   It'll come down to TD probability which I can't say is promising.   Blount and Ajayi combined only ran for 3 TD's last year.  Clement had 4.      If that usage remains the same, Clement is now the more likely guy to get rush TD's AND receptions, which makes Ajayi a tough sell.  If you buy in to Ajayi, you're buying in to him becoming a goalline back.   There's no way of really knowing if that will happen until the season starts- he's still a bit of a noob there so any usage is possible.   

I need him to be great, he is my best running back in a 12 team standard scoring dynasty lol

Probably won't spend more than a 5th round pick on him. He has a lot of potential but I worry about limited usage. But if all goes well I believe he could return anywhere from mid tier RB2 to low end RB1 value.

Philly had a system that worked last year, alot of shuffling rbs all game. I really think with the mid-season acquisition of ajayi, they didnt want to throw a wrench into their working rotation. 

He was pretty good in his limited showings when he was on the field for Philly, averaging a nice 5.8/carry. With blount out the door im hoping ajayi gets more of those early down looks. I dont think clement is going away any time soon tho. Howie was quite adamant and praiseful of Ajayis abilites just as recently as early march.

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2018/02/28/philadelphia-eagles-we-plan-to-get-jay-ajayi-even-more-involved-in-2018/

"Jay is an explosive guy,” Eagles executive vice president Howie Roseman said at the NFL Scouting Combine on Wednesday. “He can run inside the tackles. He can break it outside. (Coaches) did a great job of getting him the ball in the screen game. So he’s a young guy. He’s 25 years old. He’s obviously under contract next year. So we’re really looking forward to having him the whole offseason. In training camp. And kind of getting him more involved.

With philly holding a 1st round pick then not picking again till the 4th round, i dont expect RB to be an early target, or a target at all with such luxury. Chances of them bringing in someone who will compete for starting touches later on is slim IMO but anything can happen. Im slightly pro-Ajayi in that offense, but there is obvious concerns.

I have yet to see the knee problem truly effect him on the field, but i know he had some rest days citing "knees" as the issue. Definatley something to watch going forward. 3rd round is a bit pricey but somewhere in that 3-5 range depending on how you feel about him seems fair.

Edited by vikingapocalypse
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, vikingapocalypse said:

Philly had a system that worked last year, alot of shuffling rbs all game. I really think with the mid-season acquisition of ajayi, they didnt want to throw a wrench into their working rotation. 

He was pretty good in his limited showings when he was on the field for Philly, averaging a nice 5.8/carry. With blount out the door im hoping ajayi gets more of those early down looks. I dont think clement is going away any time soon tho. Howie was quite adamant and praiseful of Ajayis abilites just as recently as early march.

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2018/02/28/philadelphia-eagles-we-plan-to-get-jay-ajayi-even-more-involved-in-2018/

"Jay is an explosive guy,” Eagles executive vice president Howie Roseman said at the NFL Scouting Combine on Wednesday. “He can run inside the tackles. He can break it outside. (Coaches) did a great job of getting him the ball in the screen game. So he’s a young guy. He’s 25 years old. He’s obviously under contract next year. So we’re really looking forward to having him the whole offseason. In training camp. And kind of getting him more involved.

With philly holding a 1st round pick then not picking again till the 4th round, i dont expect RB to be an early target, or a target at all with such luxury. Chances of them bringing in someone who will compete for starting touches later on is slim IMO but anything can happen. Im slightly pro-Ajayi in that offense, but there is obvious concerns.

I have yet to see the knee problem truly effect him on the field, but i know he had some rest days citing "knees" as the issue. Definatley something to watch going forward. 3rd round is a bit pricey but somewhere in that 3-5 range depending on how you feel about him seems fair.

Coach speak means nothing. They say the same thing about every running back they're asked about. Unfortunately coaches wont say "yeah he kinda blows, and I hate that he's on the team. I just mistreat him hoping he will quit the team."

3 minutes ago, oliminator123 said:

Coach speak means nothing. They say the same thing about every running back they're asked about. Unfortunately coaches wont say "yeah he kinda blows, and I hate that he's on the team. I just mistreat him hoping he will quit the team."

Agreed, coach speak is only a small portion of it, but theres plenty of other factors working in Ajayi's favor, as noted. Theres still time for something to happen but given their draft capital and success last year its hard to picture a scenario where Ajayi isnt the #1 back by name at least. His performance with the eagles showed promise - if expanded in that offense, he might have some sneaky upside given redraft value

I like him plenty as a post-hype bounce back candidate. I agree with the above sentiment that it's highly unlikely that the Eagles invest significant draft capital in a RB. Corey Clement is JAG so the only obstacle I see for Ajayi are his rusty knees. 

6 hours ago, vikingapocalypse said:

They won't stop shuffling RB's. That's just the system they run on both offense & defense. Peterson believes in keeping everyone fresh.     Ajayi will definitely be the lead back and see the bulk of carries but I don't think it will be enough carries to warrant a high pick on him.

2 hours ago, South Carolina said:

They won't stop shuffling RB's. That's just the system they run on both offense & defense. Peterson believes in keeping everyone fresh.     Ajayi will definitely be the lead back and see the bulk of carries but I don't think it will be enough carries to warrant a high pick on him.

Unless Philly is way ahead and just looking to eat the clock.... then Ajayi might become a significant RB based on game time + garbage time. Any chance Philly is leading in some many of their games?

26 minutes ago, cohenstantinople said:

Unless Philly is way ahead and just looking to eat the clock.... then Ajayi might become a significant RB based on game time + garbage time. Any chance Philly is leading in some many of their games?

Surely possible. I just think there's too many mouths to feed for him to get RB1 number of carries. You'll see the young guys garbage time. Especially with them already concerned about his bad knees.

7 hours ago, Jetdog16 said:

I like him plenty as a post-hype bounce back candidate. I agree with the above sentiment that it's highly unlikely that the Eagles invest significant draft capital in a RB. Corey Clement is JAG so the only obstacle I see for Ajayi are his rusty knees. 

Clement actually showed some nice hands and appears to have cemented himself in the 3rd down and receiving role in the rotation. Taking Sproles' old role. The team is still likely to mix in a 3rd change of pace, but Ajayi is in the Blount role for next season. He will get the majority of short yardage and GL touches. And 10-15 touches per game.

33 minutes ago, devaster said:

Clement actually showed some nice hands and appears to have cemented himself in the 3rd down and receiving role in the rotation. Taking Sproles' old role. The team is still likely to mix in a 3rd change of pace, but Ajayi is in the Blount role for next season. He will get the majority of short yardage and GL touches. And 10-15 touches per game.

Don"t forget the Eagles already said they are bringing Sproles back this season. I don't understand why though.

Love him this year in his first full season in philly. He's got to be there RB 1 right?

On 3/30/2018 at 9:02 PM, devaster said:

I'm a huge fan of Clement. What he did as a rookie in a veteran backfield was quite impressive. And for the life of me I can't figure out how he wasn't drafted. He was a stud in college.

16 minutes ago, Arrowhead said:

Love him this year in his first full season in philly. He's got to be there RB 1 right?

Ajayi? If he gets enough carries he will be. I'm just not sure there's enough ball to go around. Pederson's system rotates 3-4 RB's a game. It will be hard to see him get more than 20 carries religiously. 

4 minutes ago, Arrowhead said:

Yea makes sense

He's definitely worth a roster spot, no doubt. I just don't think he's an RB1 anymore. 

3 minutes ago, South Carolina said:

He's definitely worth a roster spot, no doubt. I just don't think he's an RB1 anymore. 

In fantasy yea I agree he's not a RB1 anymore. In real football I think like we stated earlier he will be phillys RB1.

16 minutes ago, Arrowhead said:

In fantasy yea I agree he's not a RB1 anymore. In real football I think like we stated earlier he will be phillys RB1.

No doubt. I love the way he runs & competes.

7 minutes ago, JSA2422 said:

Eagle fans and Eagle players are playing who can top this for the crown of the dumbest things you can do.

2 hours ago, JSA2422 said:

Non-story. Who rents a mansion to an NFL player after the SB not expecting parties? House owner was just looking to make some additional money and publicity.