affliction

Jay Ajayi 2018 Outlook

Yeah. Ajayi was pretty effective last year for a guy that was traded mid-season, and has one of the best o-lines and offenses and coaching staffs in the game to support him.

I got this guy at the end of the 5th round. End of 5th. There's not a lot to be excited about at that point since most of the players that we were excited about already got their price jacked up into the 4th and 5th round. Ajayi has been falling and I was absolutely stoked to steal him at the late 5th cost in a 12 teamer, and have him plugged into my flex, locked and loaded.

That being said, I took a lot of RB assets this year. They are very valuable more so than ever. I'm confident in Ajayi returning value at that price, especially with the way the Eagles have become one of the most progressive teams in the NFL. 

Also- Pederson says Ajayi's fine. Just resting. Trust the coach- especially him. 

• Like 1

Could we get this discussion back on track? Lol this guy is still high on Silva’s rankings and with that o line and possibly goal line work, what’s not to like? Especially if he falls to pick 60.

Anything above the 4th rd is obviously steal. I was surprised I got him in the beginning of the 5th rd (50). All in all, this guy has to perform in order to be a steal for me as my rb2 with rb1 potential. A workload like last year is a bust for me in my own opinion. I drafted Gurley in the 2nd rd in all of my leagues due to the same reason of redemption and opportunities. 

It's a weird situation. 

On one hand, you have the best line in the game and a high flying offense. There is absolutely no way a RB doesn't thrive. On the other hand, Ajayi has been pretty mediocre and the team is stacked at RB. I'd say he has a safe floor weekly but he doesn't. 8/30/0 is fully possible. I'd say he has a high weekly ceiling but he also doesn't seem to the way they spread the ball around. All the expected attributes of running behind an elite line on an elite offense don't seem to apply to Ajayi.

Obviously, if he can take control of all the early down work he is a lock for RB1 and top 5 potential is there. The problem is, Eagles don't seem to roll that way.

doug pedersen think's hes the smartest coach in the room and will get super cute with clement and sproles, inside the red zone

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, pushaZ said:

Value is Corey Clement on 8/19 at 148th overall

I like this play a lot considering the versatility that Clement brings - could be a very good fantasy RB in that offense if given some significant work due to an Ajayi injury.

• Like 1

For what it's worth, McManus is the Eagles ESPN beat guy. They're being pretty cryptic about this injury too so no one really knows what's going on. Everything pointed to a great year with the volume and gameflow and I really liked him as a 3/4 turn pick. But with things being a little dicey right now I may need to consider a safer alternative. Also agree with the above posts about Clement being good value, and Pederson costing Ajayi a TD or two just by showing how smart he is.  I could easily see someone vulturing Ajayi on a statue of liberty play. 

4 hours ago, mjagger42 said:

For what it's worth, McManus is the Eagles ESPN beat guy. They're being pretty cryptic about this injury too so no one really knows what's going on. Everything pointed to a great year with the volume and gameflow and I really liked him as a 3/4 turn pick. But with things being a little dicey right now I may need to consider a safer alternative. Also agree with the above posts about Clement being good value, and Pederson costing Ajayi a TD or two just by showing how smart he is.  I could easily see someone vulturing Ajayi on a statue of liberty play. 

Eagles “preparing Ajayi as the guy” for Ajayi’s mental state? Wonder why? Not like this is the same guy who stormed out of the Dolphins locker room after A WIN in which he touched the ball 26 times against the Jets. Or the guy who got mad Arian Foster became the lead back over him in 2016 and was left at home week 1...

2 minutes ago, mdw5048 said:

Eagles “preparing Ajayi as the guy” for Ajayi’s mental state? Wonder why? Not like this is the same guy who stormed out of the Dolphins locker room after A WIN in which he touched the ball 26 times against the Jets. Or the guy who got mad Arian Foster became the lead back over him in 2016 and was left at home week 1...

And rightly so...he was MIA's best player and should have been fed from the beginning. Not been trashed by Gase until they were 1-4 and then started him out of desperation when he carried them to a 9-2 finish and the playoffs. 

Or laat year when his play hid their garbage roster until they traded him and then finished 2-7 without him. 

• Like 1

Just now, joshua18 said:

And rightly so...he was MIA's best player and should have been fed from the beginning. Not been trashed by Gase until they were 1-4 and then started him out of desperation when he carried them to a 9-2 finish and the playoffs. 

Or laat year when his play hid their garbage roster until they traded him and then finished 2-7 without him. 

Drake was way better than Ajayi last season. He didn’t hide anything.

2 minutes ago, mdw5048 said:

Drake was way better than Ajayi last season. He didn’t hide anything.

No he wasn't...he filled up numbers  in garbage time. Ajayi actually kept them in games they had no business winning (at Chargers, at Falcons, etc.)

16 minutes ago, wendellrott said:

He destroyed my season last year

on my DND list

Exactly why this mentality needs to be dropped. Every year is a new year and every player should be treated from a market value and neutral perspective.

No one should ever be a dnd. If ajayi falls and the price is right, you bet I’m taking him.

And in my draft, he fell to 59 (5.11). That’s an easy call. Adp might be a bit high but the payoff is immense.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

Exactly why this mentality needs to be dropped. Every year is a new year and every player should be treated from a market value and neutral perspective.

No one should ever be a dnd. If ajayi falls and the price is right, you bet I’m taking him.

And in my draft, he fell to 59 (5.11). That’s an easy call. Adp might be a bit high but the payoff is immense.

well I didn't and wouldn't

[Removed Cool Story]

I'm a Clement believer

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story

Ajayi averaged 5.8 ypc once he got to the eagles. He can catch, run block, and is by far their best GL option with Blount gone.

All RBs after the top 8-12 have pick marks on them; may be in a committee (freeman, Drake, etc), may cede goal line or passing down work (Mixon, Henry, etc), maybe a hot rookie with more Ara loaned but less exciting vets to contend with (freeman, Johnson etc) or maybe their just coming off a down year and are hard to trust (Miller, etc). 

Not saying Ajayi is better than all or any of them, but his stats and situation plus talent makes him a steal at his ADP as he seems to be going later than all of them with just as much upside and opportunity. 

If you drafted Ajayi and didn't cuff him with Clement you done messed up. Clement will have stand alone FLEX appeal with a healthy Ajayi as he was the preferred red zone RB and they like to utilize him in the passing game. A lot of people are understandably worried about Ajayi's knees and believe he's on borrowed time. The Eagles have a great offense and a potentially dominant offensive line. Theyre going to run the ball a lot and I believe both Ajayi and Clement will be a great 1-2 punch. New Orleans proved that it's totally possible for a backfield to produce 2 RBs that you can depend on every week. With Ajayi likely getting 15-18 touches I believe that will leave at least 10-12 for Clement. If Ajayi were to miss time Clement will be a league winner and he requires a very inexpensive investment, it's honestly completely inexcusable to not have drafted Clement. I would also strongly encourage any Ajayi owners that missed out to aggressively pursue him before the unsuspecting Clement owners realize what they have with him on Thursday.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CrastersCreep said:

If you drafted Ajayi and didn't cuff him with Clement you done messed up. Clement will have stand alone FLEX appeal with a healthy Ajayi as he was the preferred red zone RB and they like to utilize him in the passing game. A lot of people are understandably worried about Ajayi's knees and believe he's on borrowed time. The Eagles have a great offense and a potentially dominant offensive line. Theyre going to run the ball a lot and I believe both Ajayi and Clement will be a great 1-2 punch. New Orleans proved that it's totally possible for a backfield to produce 2 RBs that you can depend on every week. With Ajayi likely getting 15-18 touches I believe that will leave at least 10-12 for Clement. If Ajayi were to miss time Clement will be a league winner and he requires a very inexpensive investment, it's honestly completely inexcusable to not have drafted Clement. I would also strongly encourage any Ajayi owners that missed out to aggressively pursue him before the unsuspecting Clement owners realize what they have with him on Thursday.

Alright Corey Clement. Don’t you have better things to do than waste time on a fantasy forum?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Alright Corey Clement. Don’t you have better things to do than waste time on a fantasy forum?

Some dolt on ESPN or Yahoo decided he should be the 150th player taken and you should take DEF's over me, I mean him...Every year the fantasy Gods give us these gifts and it's up to us to take advantage.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, CrastersCreep said:

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 10:37 PM, wendellrott said:

well I didn't and wouldn't

[Removed Cool Story]

I'm a Clement believer

NAILED IT!

Sure Ajayi is talented and I like his British accent but this is the secret sauce right here. At the bare minimum, Clement is going to be used a lot to keep Ajayi healthy .

• Like 1