ZChronicNebula

Francisco Cervelli 2018 Outlook

1 hour ago, cyberer said:

It always feels like a buzz kill to say stuff like this in a thread where a guy is raking but... sell high? 

If you have two solid catchers, maybe. So that means you also own Grandal, Molina, Sanchez or Posey who isn't doing much right now.  But really, the value/upside at the C spot he provides is likely greater than what he will bring back in a trade right now. Sounds like sustainable change. I have had no luck trying to flip him or Ramos for a deal thats worth it yet. Having 2 solid catchers is quite a rarity 

Edited by loro1991
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, loro1991 said:

If you have two solid catchers, maybe. So that means you also own Grandal, Molina, Sanchez or Posey who isn't doing much right now.  But really, the value/upside at the C spot he provides is likely greater than what he will bring back in a trade right now. Sounds like sustainable change. I have had no luck trying to flip him or Ramos for a deal thats worth it yet. Having 2 solid catchers is quite a rarity 

Just ride him if you can is the play in my opinion.  I really don't know what kind of leagues you would have to be in to sell high on Cervelli but would imagine it would have to be a deep 2 catcher league for certain.  However, what will you get that's worthwhile?  Managers will view him as a sell high anyways.  

In 12 team universal leagues with one catcher league setups there is very little chance to trade any catcher outside of Sanchez for something of great value.     

• Like 1

Still crushing the ball. And all the peripherals, especially FB%, continue to back it up

8 minutes ago, Hound75 said:

Still crushing the ball. And all the peripherals, especially FB%, continue to back it up

Been a treat owning him. 

Hoping he continues all year if only for the sake of not having to grab another catcher.

Feels pretty legit when looking at the advanced numbers. He has pretty good contact skills even though he's taken more of a fly ball approach and a decent batting eye for a healthy number of walks.

No doubt it is an uncommon thing for a veteran catcher his age to all of a sudden be this improved as a hitter but he also doesn't seem to be extremely lucky either. Hang on to him, enjoy the breakout and ride as long as possible...

Edited by knuckleheads

Been a couple of weeks and he's still doing solid. We still buying here?

22 hours ago, sharpee said:

Been a couple of weeks and he's still doing solid. We still buying here?

Dropped Gattis for him week 3, what or who are you waiting for?

• Like 1

I'd think the question has to have moved from "are you buying?" to "what are you paying?" He's the #3 catcher in our league; in what kind of league is he still not owned?

• Like 1

Not even a third of the way through June, and he hit his 9th HR today (35th RBI). Is 20 HR and 80 RBI really possible for Cervelli this season, barring injury? Heck, I'd take 15-70. 

3 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

Not even a third of the way through June, and he hit his 9th HR today (35th RBI). Is 20 HR and 80 RBI really possible for Cervelli this season, barring injury? Heck, I'd take 15-70. 

Given where he is currently if his final totals are only 15-70 then he will not maintain 12 league value. Especially as his approach is to go for the long ball now so hopefully he gets around that 20 homer number.

2 hours ago, knuckleheads said:

Given where he is currently if his final totals are only 15-70 then he will not maintain 12 league value. Especially as his approach is to go for the long ball now so hopefully he gets around that 20 homer number.

Considering the state of catching, if he can maintain his .275 BA and hit 6 HR and 35 RBI over the final ~100 games, I think he'd maintain top 12 value, and he would definitely still be a starter in 2-catcher leagues like mine. 

58 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Considering the state of catching, if he can maintain his .275 BA and hit 6 HR and 35 RBI over the final ~100 games, I think he'd maintain top 12 value, and he would definitely still be a starter in 2-catcher leagues like mine. 

Sure in 2 catcher leagues that's worthwhile.  In one catcher universal leagues that would be borderline assuming no one else is rostering more than one catcher. I think we are rating this similar but I probably start looking for the hot hand if I knew that was what was left.  Ok stats, doesn't hurt, doesn't help.  Since I cannot know what's in store though I will hold and hope for his pace to continue closer to what it has been thus far.   

Edit:  Actually I'll disagree with myself here and say I would go ahead and take those numbers.  I would just be disappointed with the overall power dip given how well he's done and the prime spots in the lineup he's earned.

Edited by knuckleheads

The OBP and lineup spot are clutch. He's most certainly top 10 ROS and has the metrics to back that up 

So he's been on the 7-day DL with a concussion since June 22. Has anyone seen any info since he was put on the DL? I can't find anything dated after June 23. I'm wondering how long he's going to have to be out. 

Any idea how this is going to affect his play when he returns? He was having a career year with a .257/.390/.486 slash and a 24-9-36-0 line in 175 AB. I'm not sure if I should expect the same player or not. 

ETA...found a study done a few years ago that researched MLB players from 2007-2013. It stated that players returning from concussions take longer to shake off the rust than players returning from bereavement and paternity lists. I'm not sure why the study compared concussive players to them, but it did. It showed that players returning from concussion had a BA that was 30 points lower, a slg% 61 points lower, and an OPS 93 points lower than players returning from bereavement/paternity absences. Tifwiw. Maybe Cervelli would buck that research. 

Edited by Flyman75

5 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

So he's been on the 7-day DL with a concussion since June 22. Has anyone seen any info since he was put on the DL? I can't find anything dated after June 23. I'm wondering how long he's going to have to be out. 

Any idea how this is going to affect his play when he returns? He was having a career year with a .257/.390/.486 slash and a 24-9-36-0 line in 175 AB. I'm not sure if I should expect the same player or not. 

This is the most recent update I saw of him.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/players/playerpage/1200051/francisco-cervelli

Looks like he's going to have to do work behind the plate and complete a small rehab assignment before he comes back.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

This is the most recent update I saw of him.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/players/playerpage/1200051/francisco-cervelli

Looks like he's going to have to do work behind the plate and complete a small rehab assignment before he comes back.

Thanks. Yahoo hasn't added that update yet. And yeah, it looks like he's got a while before he's in a Pirate uniform again. I guess it'll give me time to see how much the promotion of Adduci affects Hicks and how well "Tortuga" adjusts to the MLB in Minny. Lol. 

10 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Thanks. Yahoo hasn't added that update yet. And yeah, it looks like he's got a while before he's in a Pirate uniform again. I guess it'll give me time to see how much the promotion of Adduci affects Hicks and how well "Tortuga" adjusts to the MLB in Minny. Lol. 

Wow just took a look at a picture of that tortuga dude and that nick name fits him perfectly. Looks like a fat turtle.

Edited by hangin n wangin
  • Haha 1

Dinged last night with a foul tip off the mask.  Removed from game as a precaution.

Too bad.  This guy has become a huge asset as catcher in fantasy.   

Hopefully not out too long.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, B&F said:

Dinged last night with a foul tip off the mask.  Removed from game as a precaution.

Too bad.  This guy has become a huge asset as catcher in fantasy.   

Hopefully not out too long.

Was good to see that it was just a precaution so we can at least be cautiously optimistic. Hope he's ok. Him and his .850 OPS have been a wonderful option at C especially in OBP leagues. 

Think the Stalling call up was just to have a BUC for today's game. Cervelli not on DL so good sign at least. I hope. 

Probably not a DL situation but I'm betting he's not done sitting out yet.  No one messes with concussion risks these days ever since the NFL related lawsuits.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/pirates/2018/08/12/Pirates-promote-Jacob-Stallings-as-protection-against-Francisco-Cervelli-s-head-injuries/stories/201808120159

He had a pinch hit appearance today.  Thanks fantasy baseball gods!