Sign in to follow this  
Snowblind

Drew Robinson 2018 Outlook

Figured he was Just A Guy, but this Rotoprofessor writeup caught my interest...

Drew Robinson – OF, Texas Rangers: Here’s a much deeper sleeper name for you than the others on the list. It was expected that the Rangers would be starting Willie Calhoun, a more highly touted prospect, in left field but first crack at the job is going to Robinson. The 25-year old rookie got a cup of coffee last year and flashed some power potential with 6 HR in 107 AB.

Robinson has shown a nice blend of power and speed throughout his minor league career with a better than average walk rate. The thing that will potentially be his downfall would be the strikeouts. In seven plate appearances this season he’s already struck out five times. If he can keep the strikeout rate somewhat down, even in the mid 20%’s, he could keep the job and there is definite 20+ HR upside with 450+ AB, plus a little speed. It’s just keeping that K rate seems like it’s going be a real challenge.

I added him in a deep 20-team league and can’t argue with a HR and SB so far.

I've been keeping an eye on him in a deep league.  Like that he qualifies at 3B, MI, and OF in Yahoo.  He had a couple near 20/20 years in the minors as well.

I read that he's going to be the primary replacement in CF for DeShields. He does have ridiculous K numbers...51 in 126 MLB ABs so far. And he struck out quite often in the minors, too. But he's does know how to take a walk. He's got an intriguing HR-SB blend...totaled 41 HR and 33 RBI in 2015-16 combined (258 games), and then hit 11-7 in 66 games in AAA last year. 

I think he could be an intriguing flyer for DeShields owners because he's an easy cut once DD comes back from the DL.