cyberer

Franchy Cordero 2018 Outlook

Surprised there’s not more press on this guy. Apparently he led the Padres in speed score and exit velocity last year and has a 20-20 skill set with elite defense in the OF and a path to PT. I have him in an NL only where he’s on the radar but I think he could be mixed league relevant.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-most-exciting-player-on-the-padres/

hes about to come off the DL and the manager sounds excited 

"We could use 1, his bat, 2, his athleticism, and 3, his left-handed stick," Padres manager Andy Green said. "We're a righty-dominant outfield and to have a left-handed bat you could throw in there against right-handed pitching, it'd be very helpful right now.

"He's a guy we thought was going to be a big part of this when spring started. He showed that through Spring Training. If he shows he's healthy, shows he's flying around the field, he's somebody I'd expect to see."

"There's more in there -- more raw twitch, more explosion, more speed. It's impressive what's inside of him. It's a matter of the consistency."

Edited by cyberer
  • Like 2

dude just needs PT, with Myers on the shelf, there are some AB's for him, I expect him to be recalled some time this week

He's a "monitor' guy for standard leagues. Has some tools but hitting well in the PCL doesn't mean much when you play in San Diego. He's a tall lefty that strikes out a lot, I don't see him having much of a chance of producing a decent average. Reminds me a lot of Wil Venable during his prime - also a tall lefty with speed and power but never could hit consistently.

If you time it right I'm sure Franchy can provide a few good stretches during the year but he's not someone I'd give anything of value up for yet.

Get in while you can- piriela and Margot struggling and Myers hurt. The big name websites are starting to get aboard:

cbs 

Cordero (groin) is 6-for-14 with a double, a home run and a stolen base through three rehab games with Triple-A El Paso.

Manager Andy Green recently suggested that Cordero will take on a platoon role with the big-leage team in the near future. "We're a righty-dominant outfield and to have a left-handed bat you could throw in there against right-handed pitching, it'd be very helpful right now," Green told AJ Cassavell of MLB.com. "He's a guy we thought was going to be a big part of this when spring started. He showed that through spring training. If he shows he's healthy, shows he's flying around the field, he's somebody I'd expect to see." Cordero swings and misses a lot, but he does damage when he makes contact and runs well, so there is some category juice to dream on here.

yahoo 

Let’s look at early playing time as the peg for examining some interesting players and playing-time scenarios impacting 12-team mixed leagues.

Jose Pirela is playing every day but entering Monday has one walk and 10 Ks. Meanwhile, Franchy Cordero seems ready to play and note the quote here with Padres manager Andy Green saying that Cordero will be playing in San Diego as soon as he’s ready.

“He’s toolsier than anybody here,” Green said of Cordero. “There’s more raw twitch, more explosion, more speed. It’s impressive what’s inside him.”

Playing time may not come at the expense of Pirela. Cordero is an elite defensive centerfielder, too. But it doesn’t seem likely that Cordero is merely a short-term lineup solution while Wil Myers is out with a mysterious nerve issue. Cordero has 30-homer power and projects as an elite base stealer but likely will K a lot and struggle to hit for a useful average.

Is it that exciting to take on someone the coach touts as a platoon player?

9 minutes ago, Gambino said:

I love franchy, but pirela’s been doing fine Imo 

FRANCHY!

Franchy could force their hand and move Pirela back to the infield. He's elite defensively as well.

Buying into the approved approach over the winter and in ST. Pure lotto ticket though.

With Margot on DL is he going to be more than a platoon guy? 

2 minutes ago, klove42 said:

With Margot on DL is he going to be more than a platoon guy? 

I think he's likely to be the CF given the organization of the team. Maybe he gets spelled by Szcur v. LHP but realistically I don't see why the Padres wouldn't just give him the shake and see what comes out with two of your three starting OFers on the DL. And at worst you're getting the strong side+. 

Edited by taobball
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, disasterisk said:

Isn't his strikeout rate ridiculous or am I mistaken?

44% in 30 games last year in his first taste of the bigs. Mostly mid 20% in his minor league career. 

EDIT: Judge also had a 44% K rate in his first 27 game call in up 2016. So basically its confirmed that Cordero will mirror Judge's 2017 year. 

Edited by klove42
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

I think he could be a difference maker.  Missed out on him today, maybe tomorrow. 

54 minutes ago, Dirtywater97 said:

FRANCHY!

Franchy could force their hand and move Pirela back to the infield. He's elite defensively as well.

Buying into the approved approach over the winter and in ST. Pure lotto ticket though.

nope, Pirela's course in the IF is over, Urias will be called up soon, Asuaje is playing great defense and doing an adequate job at the plate

8 minutes ago, Golden Spikes said:

nope, Pirela's course in the IF is over, Urias will be called up soon, Asuaje is playing great defense and doing an adequate job at the plate

We'll see I guess. If he hits the ground running they will find a way to get him in the lineup.

38 minutes ago, Dirtywater97 said:

We'll see I guess. If he hits the ground running they will find a way to get him in the lineup.

Pirela will be the RF or the LF either way

Cordero if he performs might send Margot on a long rehab

17 minutes ago, Golden Spikes said:

Pirela will be the RF or the LF either way

Cordero if he performs might send Margot on a long rehab

I really don't think Asauje is a road block for anyone. If you do that's fine. I just disagree. Franchy holds much much more potential than Asauje.

Pirela is one of their best bats while he isn't the best at 2B I think they would be willing to swallow it to keep him in the lineup.

As for Urias he is still playing SS every fifth day in the minors while not showing any improvement in the power department yet. Padres window is still a year or two out I don't see him coming up before super 2, they have no reason to.

You talk in absolutes. It's very plausible Franchy works his way into every day at bats and there are multiple avenues. They also have a black hole at 3B with Villanueva and Headley that we aren't even considering and Galvis at short.

Edited by Dirtywater97
  • Like 1

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/04/padres-promote-franchy-cordero-place-manuel-margot-on-10-day-dl.html

Cordero, 23, has been on the 40-man roster since late in 2016, so no further roster maneuvers will be required to facilitate his arrival. The toolsy youngster entered the season rated tenth by MLB.com among the prospects in a deep San Diego farm system.

This will be the second attempt at the big leagues for Cordero, who received a thirty-game run last year. He’ll obviously need to improve upon the .276 OBP he carried in that short sample. Despite his less-than-excellent first look at the majors, Cordero posted a big 2017 season at Triple-A, with a .326/.369/.603 batting line and 17 home runs in 419 plate appearances, and is off to a hot start there again this year. (He had technically opened the season on the MLB disabled list and was playing on a rehab assignment.)

they could have "activated" him from the MLB disabled list and then optioned him to the minors, so that tweet/comment from Green could be misleading.

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed unnecessary quote

partial quote..

The most athletic player on the Padres roster, with speed and power that infuses every at-bat with anticipation, Cordero was on track to break spring training with the team until injuring his groin on March 15.

it sounds like he was going to make the team out of Spring Training, so that means he likely wouldn't have been "activated" and optioned to the minors.

Edited by tonycpsu
...and again.
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dirtywater97 said:

I really don't think Asauje is a road block for anyone. If you do that's fine. I just disagree. Franchy holds much much more potential than Asauje.

Pirela is one of their best bats while he isn't the best at 2B I think they would be willing to swallow it to keep him in the lineup.

As for Urias he is still playing SS every fifth day in the minors while not showing any improvement in the power department yet. Padres window is still a year or two out I don't see him coming up before super 2, they have no reason to.

You talk in absolutes. It's very plausible Franchy works his way into every day at bats and there are multiple avenues. They also have a black hole at 3B with Villanueva and Headley that we aren't even considering and Galvis at short.

super 2 is a week away.  Urias isn't about power, its about getting on base.  I agree Franchy could work his way into everyday at bats, but I still think if everyone is healthy, the OF would be Margot-Myers-Pirela with Urias at 2B vs lefties, and Franchy takes AB's vs rights

if you follow the Padres like I do and have 40+ years, you would know the black hole of dead vets they have ran out there the last 4 years, Galvis is GG caliber SS, who plays 160 games, what he gives with his bat is a bonus, Green won't be sitting him, especially since 2 of the SP's (Richard and Lucchesi) are ground ball pitchers, and Green said if Pirela was to play 2B in reg season neither of those guys would be pitching.  That itself narrows it down to 3 starts a week, where a lefty would have to be pitching for Pirela to even be thought of, and it needs to occur in the next 2 weeks, for him to be eligible

as far as 3B, none of the guys mentioned are 3B, and that will be either Tatis or Villanueva for the next 2 yrs

Edited by Golden Spikes

Just now, Golden Spikes said:

super 2 is a week away.  Urias isn't about power, its about getting on base.  I agree Franchy could work his way into everyday at bats, but I still think if everyone is healthy, the OF would be Margot-Myers-Pirela with Urias at 2B

if you follow the Padres like I do and have 40+ years, you would know the black hole of dead vets they have ran out there the last 4 years, Galvis is GG caliber SS, who plays 160 games, what he gives with his bat is a bonus, Green won't be sitting him, especially since 2 of the SP's (Richard and Lucchesi) are ground ball pitchers, and Green said if Pirela was to play 2B in reg season neither of those guys would be pitching.  That itself narrows it down to 3 starts a week, where a lefty would have to be pitching for Pirela to even be thought of, and it needs to occur in the next 2 weeks, for him to be eligible

Super 2 is not a week away. Super 2 is June/July.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dirtywater97 said:

Super 2 is not a week away. Super 2 is June/July.

not according to this

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/sd-sp-padres-luis-urias-spring-training-majors-0301-story.html

Further, the Padres pushing back Urias’ arrival until at least the 16th day of the season would give them an extra year of control before he reaches free agency.