cyberer

Franchy Cordero 2018 Outlook

They can bring him up next week and have an extra year of control, but that comes with arbitration eligibility. Super 2 is all about having an extra year of control without having to go through arbitration. Hence the wait until June or July after a certain threshold of call ups.

• Like 2

so its 2 and 4 instead of 3 and 3?

never heard of 4 years of arb

Edited by Golden Spikes

I have my eye on him - he also has been pretty rough defensively. Let a ball get by him which allowed at least one extra run to score and misplayed a fly ball from Lemahieu into a double...

1 hour ago, Dirtywater97 said:

That's what they call "easy power".

• Like 2

Actually started him in one league today. I'm hoping he will be up for good the ball. Even when he makes outs he smokes the ball. 

3 hours ago, Dirtywater97 said:

Anyone else get an Oscar Taveras vibe from that swing?

• Like 1

I'm a fan,  have been since early last year.   Hoping he locks up a job for the rest of the year.

If he does good while Margot is out, I don't see any reason why they wouldn't play him regularly.

Picked him up today.  Unfortunately I was at work and didn't know he was playing today, so it was after he hit is HR, but hopefully better late than never. If he hits himself into a regular role for the rest of the season, then no biggie about missing out on 1 HR.

115 MPH exit velo on an out in the 1st inning, HR later in the game.

Great debut- this guy is gonna be fun to watch

oS3Qd2AZZ-620x396.png

Edited by cyberer

Feels weird comparing him to another prospect but this guy reminds me of Florial on the Yankees. Similar profiles - lots of swing and miss, but with all the tools in the shed. Honestly surprised there wasn't more hype on Cordero. He looks like one hell of an athlete. 

• Like 2

Stay alarmed here fellas. The K/BB ratio in the minors is crap. It was even worse at the MLB level last year. Already starts off with 2 K's here today despite the Coors HR. And look at the upcoming schedule: Stratton, Blach, Holland, Beede, Ryu, Wood, Hill, Walker, Godley, Corbin, Bettis, Freeland, Gray. 7 of 13 games are all vs LHP starters. What did he do vs LHP's last year? .188 avg, .610 OPS, 1 HR. Small sample size 16 AB's but still. I wouldn't be all over this guy like he's going to be some super star. Temper the expectations. 

• Like 2

Just now, Mexi1024 said:

Stay alarmed here fellas. The K/BB ratio in the minors is crap. It was even worse at the MLB level last year. Already starts off with 2 K's here today despite the Coors HR. And look at the upcoming schedule: Stratton, Blach, Holland, Beede, Ryu, Wood, Hill, Walker, Godley, Corbin, Bettis, Freeland, Gray. 7 of 13 games are all vs LHP starters. What did he do vs LHP's last year? .188 avg, .610 OPS, 1 HR. Small sample size 16 AB's but still. I wouldn't be all over this guy like he's going to be some super star. Temper the expectations. 

LET'S GET HYPED!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Mexi1024 said:

I wouldn't be all over this guy like he's going to be some super star.

Or or orrr.... He could be. He's a free pick up practically everywhere, it's not like you're counting on him. 

Power: 

Speed: 

Athleticism: 

Me: Interested.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Mexi1024 said:

Yes but hes a free pick up right now. Its the perfect stash and see situation. By the time he breaks out, he'll be very expensive.

He played in the dominucan winter league where K/BB profile shifted dramatically and he started taking walks.

10.4%BB 18.4%K over 211PA

He also continued to show improved approach during ST, well he certainly walked more atleast, but it's a very small sample:

20%BB 37.1%K in 35PA

Also just FYI he TORE UP both ST & and the Dominican leagues too.

If any of these approach improvements stick it'll help him out dramatically. If the 18.4%K in the winter league was a fluke then so be it, but he seems to be developing a better eye and starting to take more walks. Pair that with his outrageous power / speed and he is a great lotto ticket.

Edited by Dirtywater97
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Dirtywater97 said:

He played in the dominucan winter league where K/BB profile shifted dramatically and he started taking walks.

10.4%BB 18.4%K over 211PA

He also continued to show improved approach during ST, well he certainly walked more atleast, but it's a very small sample:

20%BB 37.1%K in 35PA

Also just FYI he TORE UP both ST & and the Dominican leagues too.

If any of these approach improvements stick it'll help him out dramatically. If the 18.4%K in the winter league was a fluke then so be it, but he seems to be developing a better eye and starting to take more walks. Pair that with his outrageous power / speed and he is a great lotto ticket.

Plus, he hits the ball hard. ADD IN EVERY FORMAT!!!! Choo Choo! 

15 hours ago, mudrummer said:

I have my eye on him - he also has been pretty rough defensively. Let a ball get by him which allowed at least one extra run to score and misplayed a fly ball from Lemahieu into a double...

SS convert -- only started playing CF in 2016. 

Guy's not going to supplant anyone healthy IMO. He's sushi-raw, still learning his position and apparently retooling his swing. Looks like Bo Jackson but SD has to think a year in AAA. Sweet stash in the right keeper leagues. If he pays in redraft I'm not going near any rusty spatulas, but I'll consider eating my hat. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bdy1 said:

SS convert -- only started playing CF in 2016. 

Guy's not going to supplant anyone healthy IMO. He's sushi-raw, still learning his position and apparently retooling his swing. Looks like Bo Jackson but SD has to think a year in AAA. Sweet stash in the right keeper leagues. If he pays in redraft I'm not going near any rusty spatulas, but I'll consider eating my hat. 

he was set to make the team out of Spring Training before he was injured.

Added him yesterday and he goes big fly out the gate. Rolling him today in CF with Eaton on the rocks. Read that he tore up the winter league. 

All aboard!!