cyberer

Franchy Cordero 2018 Outlook

Recommended Posts

They can bring him up next week and have an extra year of control, but that comes with arbitration eligibility. Super 2 is all about having an extra year of control without having to go through arbitration. Hence the wait until June or July after a certain threshold of call ups.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so its 2 and 4 instead of 3 and 3?

 

never heard of 4 years of arb

 

Edited by Golden Spikes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have my eye on him - he also has been pretty rough defensively. Let a ball get by him which allowed at least one extra run to score and misplayed a fly ball from Lemahieu into a double...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dirtywater97 said:

 

 

 

 

 

That's what they call "easy power".

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually started him in one league today. I'm hoping he will be up for good the ball. Even when he makes outs he smokes the ball. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dirtywater97 said:

 

 

 

 

Anyone else get an Oscar Taveras vibe from that swing?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a fan,  have been since early last year.   Hoping he locks up a job for the rest of the year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 If he does good while Margot is out, I don't see any reason why they wouldn't play him regularly.

 

Picked him up today.  Unfortunately I was at work and didn't know he was playing today, so it was after he hit is HR, but hopefully better late than never. If he hits himself into a regular role for the rest of the season, then no biggie about missing out on 1 HR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

115 MPH exit velo on an out in the 1st inning, HR later in the game.

 

Great debut- this guy is gonna be fun to watch

 

oS3Qd2AZZ-620x396.png

Edited by cyberer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Feels weird comparing him to another prospect but this guy reminds me of Florial on the Yankees. Similar profiles - lots of swing and miss, but with all the tools in the shed. Honestly surprised there wasn't more hype on Cordero. He looks like one hell of an athlete. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stay alarmed here fellas. The K/BB ratio in the minors is crap. It was even worse at the MLB level last year. Already starts off with 2 K's here today despite the Coors HR. And look at the upcoming schedule: Stratton, Blach, Holland, Beede, Ryu, Wood, Hill, Walker, Godley, Corbin, Bettis, Freeland, Gray. 7 of 13 games are all vs LHP starters. What did he do vs LHP's last year? .188 avg, .610 OPS, 1 HR. Small sample size 16 AB's but still. I wouldn't be all over this guy like he's going to be some super star. Temper the expectations. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mexi1024 said:

Stay alarmed here fellas. The K/BB ratio in the minors is crap. It was even worse at the MLB level last year. Already starts off with 2 K's here today despite the Coors HR. And look at the upcoming schedule: Stratton, Blach, Holland, Beede, Ryu, Wood, Hill, Walker, Godley, Corbin, Bettis, Freeland, Gray. 7 of 13 games are all vs LHP starters. What did he do vs LHP's last year? .188 avg, .610 OPS, 1 HR. Small sample size 16 AB's but still. I wouldn't be all over this guy like he's going to be some super star. Temper the expectations. 

LET'S GET HYPED!

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Mexi1024 said:

I wouldn't be all over this guy like he's going to be some super star.

Or or orrr.... He could be. He's a free pick up practically everywhere, it's not like you're counting on him. 

Power: 

Speed: 

Athleticism: 

Me: Interested.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Mexi1024 said:

Stay alarmed here fellas. The K/BB ratio in the minors is crap. It was even worse at the MLB level last year. Already starts off with 2 K's here today despite the Coors HR. And look at the upcoming schedule: Stratton, Blach, Holland, Beede, Ryu, Wood, Hill, Walker, Godley, Corbin, Bettis, Freeland, Gray. 7 of 13 games are all vs LHP starters. What did he do vs LHP's last year? .188 avg, .610 OPS, 1 HR. Small sample size 16 AB's but still. I wouldn't be all over this guy like he's going to be some super star. Temper the expectations. 

 

Yes but hes a free pick up right now. Its the perfect stash and see situation. By the time he breaks out, he'll be very expensive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He played in the dominucan winter league where K/BB profile shifted dramatically and he started taking walks.

 

10.4%BB 18.4%K over 211PA

 

He also continued to show improved approach during ST, well he certainly walked more atleast, but it's a very small sample:

 

20%BB 37.1%K in 35PA

 

Also just FYI he TORE UP both ST & and the Dominican leagues too.

 

If any of these approach improvements stick it'll help him out dramatically. If the 18.4%K in the winter league was a fluke then so be it, but he seems to be developing a better eye and starting to take more walks. Pair that with his outrageous power / speed and he is a great lotto ticket.

 

Edited by Dirtywater97
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Dirtywater97 said:

He played in the dominucan winter league where K/BB profile shifted dramatically and he started taking walks.

 

10.4%BB 18.4%K over 211PA

 

He also continued to show improved approach during ST, well he certainly walked more atleast, but it's a very small sample:

 

20%BB 37.1%K in 35PA

 

Also just FYI he TORE UP both ST & and the Dominican leagues too.

 

If any of these approach improvements stick it'll help him out dramatically. If the 18.4%K in the winter league was a fluke then so be it, but he seems to be developing a better eye and starting to take more walks. Pair that with his outrageous power / speed and he is a great lotto ticket.

 

Plus, he hits the ball hard. ADD IN EVERY FORMAT!!!! Choo Choo! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, mudrummer said:

I have my eye on him - he also has been pretty rough defensively. Let a ball get by him which allowed at least one extra run to score and misplayed a fly ball from Lemahieu into a double...

SS convert -- only started playing CF in 2016. 

 

Guy's not going to supplant anyone healthy IMO. He's sushi-raw, still learning his position and apparently retooling his swing. Looks like Bo Jackson but SD has to think a year in AAA. Sweet stash in the right keeper leagues. If he pays in redraft I'm not going near any rusty spatulas, but I'll consider eating my hat. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bdy1 said:

SS convert -- only started playing CF in 2016. 

 

Guy's not going to supplant anyone healthy IMO. He's sushi-raw, still learning his position and apparently retooling his swing. Looks like Bo Jackson but SD has to think a year in AAA. Sweet stash in the right keeper leagues. If he pays in redraft I'm not going near any rusty spatulas, but I'll consider eating my hat. 

 

 he was set to make the team out of Spring Training before he was injured.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Added him yesterday and he goes big fly out the gate. Rolling him today in CF with Eaton on the rocks. Read that he tore up the winter league. 

 

All aboard!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...