cyberer

Franchy Cordero 2018 Outlook

1 minute ago, SpecialFNK said:

he was set to make the team out of Spring Training before he was injured.

I stand corrected:o

2 minutes ago, bdy1 said:

I stand corrected:o

that is what this article says.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/padres/sd-sp-padres-margot-disabled-list-franchy-cordero-20180411-story.html

The most athletic player on the Padres roster, with speed and power that infuses every at-bat with anticipation, Cordero was on track to break spring training with the team until injuring his groin on March 15.

“If he stays selective, stays in the zone, he should be successful,” manager Andy Green said before Wednesday’s game. “We just want to turn his athleticism loose on a baseball field. … He’s up there with probably the top five, 10 most athletic guys in the game of baseball. So he’s a fun, electric guy to have on the field.

“He’s an interesting bat. He can hit anywhere in the lineup. He can hit in the one hole, because he absolutely flies. The challenge for him mainly now is get on base. But he’s got as much pop as anybody we have.”

Definitely a solid add if you get him for nothing. Just saying don't invest a ton for leagues that have different Free Agent settings. As for the guy who posted highlights above. Really? A broken bat pop up that the RF completely mis played into a triple is your argument for me to be impressed? haha. That was not a great hit. The one before was much more impressive but I understand his tools. Just questioning his "gaurantee" to improve BB rates and K/BB ratio's and ability to hit LHP's. 

16 minutes ago, Mexi1024 said:

Definitely a solid add if you get him for nothing. Just saying don't invest a ton for leagues that have different Free Agent settings. As for the guy who posted highlights above. Really? A broken bat pop up that the RF completely mis played into a triple is your argument for me to be impressed? haha. That was not a great hit. The one before was much more impressive but I understand his tools. Just questioning his "gaurantee" to improve BB rates and K/BB ratio's and ability to hit LHP's. 

Where did I guarantee anything? I called him a "lotto ticket". As for the BB/K It's a crumb which could lead to something. Could very well be nothing. Exit velocity is exit velocity, make of it what you will.

Edited by Dirtywater97
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Mexi1024 said:

I was more focused on his speed then the hit, hence I put it under the "speed" category lol 

For a guy that big, flashing those wheels is especially impressive to me. You don't see that type of athleticism very often. 

I think he's similar to a Bradley Zimmer type in that regard as well. Broxton was another good comp in my opinion. No one here guaranteed anything with Cordero, but he's not even on anyone's radar right now and costs you nothing to acquire. If he stinks, drop him back. If he blows up, that's the type of move that wins leagues.

• Like 1

Sorry for double post but just noticed he was the lead on razzball. From Grey:

"Franchy Cordero went 1-for-4 with his first homer as he was called up and hit leadoff.  Franchy!  Franchy!  Franchy!  Holy almond tart, no Franchy pan for me!  I won’t pan Franchy’s tools, I won’t suffer any fools, I want Franchy, man, pardon my drools.  Franchy is the kind of player you watch and you’re like, “Can I own him in every league on the basis of his sprint speed?”  By the way, Franchy has crazy sprint speed yet wasn’t able to make it out there for the brawl — hand on chin emoji.  Franchy seems like the kind of guy that will be better in fantasy than in real life.  Think about the outfield version of Tim Anderson.  I grabbed him in a few leagues to see what happens."

I guess we're all on the same page here. Just seemed like at first people were hyping this guy as a definite savior to their team. If all expectations are tempered and you get a low risk high reward FA for a couple weeks, I understand the chance to go on him. I was actually a little shocked he only went for the minimum $1 in my silent bid FA roto league. That's great value for what he could be if he put it all together. 

On 4/11/2018 at 1:32 PM, Golden Spikes said:

not according to this

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/sd-sp-padres-luis-urias-spring-training-majors-0301-story.html

Further, the Padres pushing back Urias’ arrival until at least the 16th day of the season would give them an extra year of control before he reaches free agency.

It seems like you don't understand what super 2 is.

Also the word "super" does not appear anywhere in that article. 

You may be confusing it with service time considerations which happen in mid April (as you alluded to with the Urias sentence).

So far he's hit a 100MPH grounder and a 110MPH line drive (...into a double play). Excited to see how much power he has

He just needs to buy into that launch angle all these hitters been buying into since last year.

Kind of strange, but even though he went 0-4, it was good to see no K's.  Hopefully he has better luck today.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

Kind of strange, but even though he went 0-4, it was good to see no K's.  Hopefully he has better luck today.

Exactly, he hits the balls hard so eventually they will start falling in for hits, especially if his he can maintain a lower K%.

2 minutes ago, jimbo504 said:

another dinger tonight.

Now he just needs to get a hit here and there that's not a HR....  not that I'm complaining about him hitting HR's. :)

Nope, but he just drew praise for squaring up a single perfectly from the SD color guy.  He wanted to know what the exit velocity was on it.  Obviously he just got a pinch hit single off a lefty.

He'll be back in there tomorrow since it's a righty, but then they go up against LA, so who knows how much he'll play then.  Even if he just plays against righties, if he produces, he should stick and be interesting to watch.  Most teams aren't the Dodgers with so many lefties.

22 minutes ago, Golden Spikes said:

Batting 3rd today

That's encouraging news. Hopefully he puts together some good at-bats

23 minutes ago, Golden Spikes said:

Batting 3rd today

Works for me.  As long as he's in the lineup and in the top portion of it, I'm happy.

I doubt he'll be in the lineup tomorrow again though since they are facing a lefty.

B Zimmer and F Cordero look very similar to me.  Tall, strong, athletic, fast... Would love to see both of these guys breakout.

• Like 1

Really nice last at bat. Down 0-2, worked the count full and ripped an RBI single into right then stole 2B

I don't expect that from a guy with K problems. Getting more intrigued with Cordero by the day

Edited by DannyMcPot
  • Thanks 1

This isn't offense related, but I gotta say- the Padres are painful to watch on defense. Villanueva in the infield botched a routine grounder for a double, Piriela DROPPED a routine pop up off his glove, Renfroe took a bad angle and had a routine fly ball go over his head.

Meanwhile, Franchy is fielding balls cleanly and making a STRIKE to throw out kemp legging out a double. They said he was the best defender the Padres have, and I'm seeing it firsthand. It sure helps that the competition is currently little league level outfield play, but still. With his bat glove and arm it's gonna be tough to bench this guy. I'm buying everywhere I can. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cyberer said:

This isn't offense related, but I gotta say- the Padres are painful to watch on defense. Villanueva in the infield botched a routine grounder for a double, Piriela DROPPED a routine pop up off his glove, Renfroe took a bad angle and had a routine fly ball go over his head.

Meanwhile, Franchy is fielding balls cleanly and making a STRIKE to throw out kemp legging out a double. They said he was the best defender the Padres have, and I'm seeing it firsthand. It sure helps that the competition is currently little league level outfield play, but still. With his bat glove and arm it's gonna be tough to bench this guy. I'm buying everywhere I can. 

Franchy butchered a single the other day that led to 3 runs, hes not good defensively, but he has all the tools to become so.  Hes only played of for 2 years.  Something to think about he was a SS in 2015/some of 16, imagine this guy as a SS